Accidentally touched the socket on my motherboard...

SwagMasterJ

I had my socket open because I was lowering my CPU into the socket, and my finger hit the inside of the socket for a second. Not sure how long I need to touch it for it to be a problem, but will I need a new motherboard?

Only if you bent the pins. They're actually a lot stronger than most think (Source: I ripped apart a Z77 Extreme 3)

Is it even broken to begin with?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I think OP was asking if he shocked it with static...

Either way, you probably didn't damage it, just look at the pins to see if any are in a different shape.

It's fine as long you didn't put anything in the socket or bent the socket pins.

I had my socket open because I was lowering my CPU into the socket, and my finger hit the inside of the socket for a second. Not sure how long I need to touch it for it to be a problem, but will I need a new motherboard?

If it works it works. Touching the pins, unlike the myths, doesn't have any negative impact as long as you don't bend them. I've licked the bottom of an LGA CPU as a dare, wiped it with my shirt, put it back in, and it works perfectly fine.

"Rawr XD"

It will be fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Only if you bent the pins. They're actually a lot stronger than most think (Source: I ripped apart a Z77 Extreme 3)

Allllllllllllllll offffffff thisssssssssssssssssss.

Should be fine as long as pins arent bent out of shape...

They are quite strong...

(i once stuck my finger in a LGA775 socket because i was bored)

(but then again i once almost destroyed my LGA1150 motherboard because i bent 2 pins...)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

it will probably be fine.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Should be fine. If you have an Intel board the pins are surprisingly tough, just so long as you don't brush against them with too much force.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)