Facebook Messenger APP and privacy

Boatiy

Everyone is freaking out and I even believe the news discussions are really really false, yea the app gets access to certin aspecs of your phone but only if you let it right ?

In iOS you get a pop up saying can we use "such n such" android its a list of permissions which you can indvidually turn on and off. Someone explain this to me beacuse im face palming at all my friends and people that are believein that FBM app is always watching and listening.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/Clip/10459732/facebook-messenger-app#.U-j8V8D4hBQ.facebook

LINUS !

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

"information voluntarily disclosed to a third party ceases to enjoy Fourth Amendment protection"

That's pretty much all you need to know. They are acting on the notion that there is no expectation of privacy, as you are giving consent.

Facebook and Privacy don't mix. How do people not realise that, haha.

Edit: Although, just to be clear. They have access to your data like the stuff you share with Facebook. But they're not going around turning on your camera and mic and recording you and shit. I just realised the concern comes from people being forced to use the messenger app and their lack of understanding about Android permissions. Most of it is not as bad as it sounds, access is needed for functionality.

The best way to be selective about permissions on Android is to root your phone and install Xposed + Xprivacy. It's fucking ridiculous that Google chose to hide their permissions manager (AppOps) I honestly think that was a cynical move post "Snowden revelations" to stop people from cracking down on the information they are sharing.

Nah facebook can decide when to snoop on your phone or control stuff. There is nothing that pops up asking for permission. If you already installed it on your phone they already have all your information and contacts info. Nothing you can do about it.

This is what you agreed to in the terms and conditions that you didnt read at all... xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

this is f****** b******* what happened to the good old days where ads were soo so so limited, noboday cared where you were or ur data, something like 2009-2010 when the blackberry was popular. When

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

This is the modern internet. Companies take advantage of you in every way without you knowing. The fact that you are posting something with an account you made on the internet means you can't hide. Everything is possible here, whether you like it or not. That is the sad truth.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not that it's just Facebook, when Google were questioned about scanning emails, they simply quoted the same ruling "a person has no legitimate expectation of privacy in information he voluntarily turns over to third parties".

As far as any of these companies go. Any information they obtain from you is fair game. Unless you want to read the T&Cs every few weeks to see what they are actually up to, it's best practice to limit that information.

Facebook Messenger's EULA is pretty much what's going on with LG. Basically you give them permission to data mine the fuck out of you or you don't use it. I wouldn't be surprised if this stretches to more and more companies real quick. Here in Canada I don't worry about such things but living in America this is just BS.

"Rawr XD"

• 2 weeks later...

Facebook and Privacy don't mix. How do people not realise that, haha.

Correction: Internet and Privacy don't mix.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Correction: Internet and Privacy don't mix.

Thanks for that, you bumped an old thread and added nothing to the conversation. In my second post I even stated it's not just facebook. Sigh.

I find it hilarious that people are freaking out about Facebook's Messenger app when on Android the actual Facebook app has exactly the same permissions but I haven't heard anyone freak out about that nearly as much.

But I do think the permissions are too much, I know some pro Android sites have been defending them but other messenger apps do more than fine with far far less permissions yet Facebook needs them? Something smells fishy.