Getting the new rMBP 15

Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

Why would you get a MBP

Because they are great laptops?

OP if you have any Mac questions send them my way!

1+2) It might but I would try and get the 512 model personally, you CAN upgrade the SSD but they are PCI ssds and are very expensive, those SD card expansions are quite useful but not fast enough for an OS

If you can I would try and not use bootcamp, but its there if you need it I guess , Parallels is a better way to dual boot windows though as you can use windows at the same time as using OSX

3) Personally yes, the retina macbook pro is nigh on un-repairable and apple have great support for software and hardware

4) not necessarily no, you are best just crossing that bridge later

I'm flying off next month for further studies and I need a new laptop. I'm moving to UK and getting a desktop might not be an option mainly because of portability (So gonna miss my desktop here). I really like the new rMBP 15 mainly for its high res and excellent display, build quality and the long battery life. I'm being either really brave or stupid here as this will be my first time ever using a mac os and I have no idea how to use it and how it will perform for my usage. I'm open to learning a new ecosystem.

I'm planning to get the base model Iris pro version with only 256gb storage. The cost for it will be MYR 5979 or about 1112 pounds which is slightly cheaper here in Malaysia compare to in UK. I'll be using it mainly for architecture stuffs like 2D CAD, 3D modelling and render, and editing.

Questions:

1. Will the 256gb be enough for all that softwares including bootcamp? I might install W7/8 for some lesser software like Lumion etc2. Softwares i'll be using mostly are Autocad, Photoshop and Sketchup. 

2. If not, what are the aftermarket upgrade options for the pcie ssd? Are they any cheaper than the one offered in Apple store? I can't seem to find any that is compatible for the new rMBP. Apple store upgrade from 256 to 512gb will cost me MYR 918 or about 171 pound. I'm already at the limit of my budget atm. Do you think it is expensive for the upgrade? I've found the Transcend Jetdrive Lite 128gb selling for just 64pounds on amazon uk which do you think will do the trick for bootcamp?

3. Is it worth getting the Applecare protection plan upgrade at MYR 949 / 175pounds? I am a really careful guy when it comes to my personal belongings but i still need a second opinion on this. My friends told me if I were to have problems with the MBP, it'll be cheaper to get it repaired outside than through apple store.

4. Do I have to reformat my current hdd for it to be used with a mac? I have several 3.5" internal hdd (ntfs) and an external hdd with all my works and media in it. I plan to get an external usb hard disk dock for it and I'm worried that I can't access my files. Do you have idea if files like autocad or photoshop saved in windows can be open in a mac?

I might add few more questions along the way if I have any. Thanks

Why would you get a MBP

If he wants to get one he will. Stop bashing. Its his choice and Mac haters seriously need to learn a thing or two.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Why would you get a MBP

1+2) It might but I would try and get the 512 model personally, you CAN upgrade the SSD but they are PCI ssds and are very expensive, those SD card expansions are quite useful but not fast enough for an OS

If you can I would try and not use bootcamp, but its there if you need it I guess , Parallels is a better way to dual boot windows though as you can use windows at the same time as using OSX

3) Personally yes, the retina macbook pro is nigh on un-repairable and apple have great support for software and hardware

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1. Yes 

2. Don't thing there are any

3. No

4. Don't think so (don't quote me on this)

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

1. Yes 

3. No

2 - you can buy them  http://www.megamac.co.uk/products/owc-480gb-ssd-mercury-aura-pro-6g-for-mbp-retina-2012-2013-owcssdap12r480?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=COX0j6iTjsACFeTItAodX2QAMw

3 debatable :P haha but since it gets 1/10 in repairability good warranty is important IMO and its pretty cheap 

just saying :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why would you get a MBP

Read above. I really like the display and the long battery life. Before that, I've looked into other options like the Dell XPS 15 (coil whine issues,overheating,bad colour reproduction,low battery life,more expensive), Lenovo Y50 (weak battery life) and MSI GS series (limited options here,gawdy looking keyboard,bad touchpad and average battery life) and they don't come close when it comes to build quality and battery life. Like I said I don't mind learning a new OS as long as it works with all the programs I need. I'm still a Windows guy at heart.

2 - you can buy them  http://www.megamac.co.uk/products/owc-480gb-ssd-mercury-aura-pro-6g-for-mbp-retina-2012-2013-owcssdap12r480?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=COX0j6iTjsACFeTItAodX2QAMw

3 debatable :P haha but since it gets 1/10 in repairability good warranty is important IMO and its pretty cheap 

just saying :P

Maybe I might not need bootcamp at all if all the programs/tools I need are there in osx. Lumion is the only one exception but I really like it for its real time rendering and easy for doing quick 3D model walkthrough videos. But it's not really that important anyway. In my current rig, I've only used like 70% of my 120gb ssd and that is with quite a lot of programs installed + pagefile. I guess maybe 256gb will be enough. I know upgrading the ssd will void the warranty so that number 1 question is just for precaution. I might upgrade it down the road when i have the money. But damn that OWC ssd is really expensive.  ^_^

You think the warranty is cheap? My previous Lenovo laptop only cost me like MYR 200 for a 3 year warranty upgrade. LOL  :lol:. But i can still buy the applecare within that one 1 year warranty right? Any glaring hardware issues with the current rMBP i should be aware off?

1. Yes 

3. No

thanks. I have no idea how much space the osx takes up and i'm just worried it might not be enough.

Read above. I really like the display and the long battery life. Before that, I've looked into other options like the Dell XPS 15 (coil whine issues,overheating,bad colour reproduction,low battery life,more expensive), Lenovo Y50 (weak battery life) and MSI GS series (limited options here,gawdy looking keyboard,bad touchpad and average battery life) and they don't come close when it comes to build quality and battery life. Like I said I don't mind learning a new OS as long as it works with all the programs I need. I'm still a Windows guy at heart.

HP Spectre 13 

Razer Blade 14 2014

HP EliteBook 840 G1 (my brother has this laptop, it's a great notebook, pretty sure longer battery life then MBP)

Lenovo ThinkPad X240 (if you really care about battery life that much, twenty hours)

"Rawr XD"

HP Spectre 13 

Razer Blade 14 2014

HP EliteBook 840 G1 (my brother has this laptop, it's a great notebook, pretty sure longer battery life then MBP)

Lenovo ThinkPad X240 (if you really care about battery life that much, twenty hours)

Both HP and Lenovo uses a low voltage U cpu,totally inadequate for my usage. And the display are average. The Razer blade is not officially available here and the import units are stupidly way more expensive than the rmbp. Imo only the Dell XPS 15 comes close to a rmbp in terms of price and specs. Why not a mac? 

Both HP and Lenovo uses a low voltage U cpu,totally inadequate for my usage. 

The Retina MBP also uses U CPU's. The i5 4278U/4308U or the i7 4578U.

"Rawr XD"

The Retina MBP also uses U CPU's. The i5 4278U/4308U or the i7 4578U.

Nope. They use i7 4770HQ, i7 4870HQ and i7 4980HQ. All have Iris Pro iGPU. You are mistaken with the MBA specs

Nope. They use i7 4770HQ, i7 4870HQ and i7 4980HQ. All have Iris Pro iGPU. You are mistaken with the MBA specs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-3.0-13-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html

4578U. The HQ processors are available if you get the GT750M, but then battery life isn't in the question anymore. Not to mention it's way too expensive for what it is.

"Rawr XD"

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-3.0-13-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html

4578U. The HQ processors are available if you get the GT750M, but then battery life isn't in the question anymore. Not to mention it's way too expensive for what it is.

that link is for the 13". Here's the correct one. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.2-15-iris-only-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html. That's why i didn't get the GT750M. Barely anymore powerful than an Iris Pro graphics. And more expensive too at MYR 7289/ $2281.

@Aniallation are you the anti apple police or something

Good choice, the rMBP is a nice built machine, though it does get a bit hot around the keyboard when it's been running intensively for a while, so invest in a cooling pad for it :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

HP Spectre 13 

Razer Blade 14 2014

1. Has an atrocious trackpad

2. nice but battery life is meh

3. Atrocious trackpad once again

3. shitty screen

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

i would do it. i love the macbooks, used one for work and it did everything flawlessy :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

@ShadowCaptain @beebskadoo I found a sealed late 2013 model with the i7 2.3ghz + 512gb ssd + GT750M for slightly less the price of the mid 2014 model with i7 2.2ghz + iris pro igpu + 256gb ssd. Should i get that instead eventhough it's the older model? How will the cooling be since the MBP has a somewhat dinky heatsink. Any other differences between those two other than the cpu,ssd and gpu?

@ShadowCaptain @beebskadoo I found a sealed late 2013 model with the i7 2.3ghz + 512gb ssd + GT750M for slightly less the price of the mid 2014 model with i7 2.2ghz + iris pro igpu + 256gb ssd. Should i get that instead eventhough it's the older model? How will the cooling be since the MBP has a somewhat dinky heatsink. Any other differences between those two other than the cpu,ssd and gpu?

The cooling on them is perfectly adequate, the whole thing is basically a heatsink

There is not much difference between the 2 models, it was barely even an upgrade, I would probably just get the 2013 model

My macbook lasted 6 years and is still going and a great device, im sure you will like it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans