how do i convince my parents to let me upgrade my computer?

farhanorakzai

im 18, and live with them. i don't have to pay for college because my grades are pretty decent. i'll try the "it might break" thing though

Listen man. buy whatever you want with your money, but don't expect living at home to be free anymore.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

i have the money, i just have to get permission before i can spend it

Why would you need permission? It's your money. If they were to play the "you live with us, we pay for everything, you do as we say" card that would be fucked up.

Why do you need their approval? Just buy it and do it!

If they ask just say, "I am sorry for doing something that makes me happy"

Yeah.. i basicly also did that, they weren't to happy but also understand that i like it so they don't do anything about it! :) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

i have an ugly case and can't even oven slightly overclock due to heating issues. also i want silence 

What about only upgrading the case? A custom watercooling loop is burning money imo.

The HAF 912 is an ugly long in the tooth case with a crappy interior layout. With the time and labor put into making that case passable, you'd be better off going with a good case.

yeah,  esspecially with that kind of system.  

im 18, and live with them. i don't have to pay for college because my grades are pretty decent. i'll try the "it might break" thing though

18? You are an adult, grow a pair and just do it  :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i REALLY want a new case and custom water cooling, but my dad wont have it. he keeps saying "oh, your computer will never be finished" or "its a waste". what can i do to convince him to let me enjoy my one and only passion?

Just use your geass on them.

My underage cousin went out and started drinking in a religion and family that condones it. He got his PS3 back in a heartbeat after 1.5 years. 

You spent 3 and a half K on a computer... and you're not happy with it? Maybe think first before buying next time.

I fail to understand what's going on inside your head. When I was a kid my parents were worried that I'd spend the little money I had on candy and other useless crap. 3500 american dollars was beyond even my wildest dreams. And you're complaining how your parents aren't giving you more? You seriously need to learn the value of money.

The hairy side of your hand should convince them otherwise. 

I joke. I do not condone hitting your parents. Just buy what you want. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

i have the money, i just have to get permission before i can spend it

If you are 18 they have no legal right or way to prevent you from spending that money. Tell them to mind their own business and that you will spend what you earn how you see fit.

The hairy side of your hand should convince them otherwise. 

I joke. I do not condone hitting your parents. Just buy what you want. 

Basically that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You spent 3 and a half K on a computer... and you're not happy with it? Maybe think first before buying next time.

I fail to understand what's going on inside your head. When I was a kid my parents were worried that I'd spend the little money I had on candy and other useless crap. 3500 american dollars was beyond even my wildest dreams. And you're complaining how your parents aren't giving you more? You seriously need to learn the value of money.

i earned most of it from working. fixing/building computers for people

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

my parents control the money i own. i would have gotten a much more powerful system if they would let me spend that much. i start college next year, so hopefully i will be able to enjoy what i love

Why don't you just save the money for college. That's what I did and I now am not completely broke constantly.

If you are 18 they have no legal right or way to prevent you from spending that money. 

They can also kick you out of home, can't they?

sneak out at night and pull some next level shit (acquire the water cooling supplies during this process) and then in the morning have it done before your family wakes up. 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

sneak out at night and pull some next level shit (acquire the water cooling supplies during this process) and then in the morning have it done before your family wakes up. 

now that you mention it......

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Its often easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Just saying...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Start calling them peasants....;. yeessss....

If they're paying for it, they shouldn't be. If you are, just do it.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

now that you mention it......

In all honesty respect your parents, don't hate on your parents because they're always trying to do what is best for you. Just show them what you are planning to do, show them that this is a hobby and brings you enjoyment, and you are not just spending money on a waste of time. PC's can be a future career and teach you allot about technology which is a very useful skill to have. So approach it in a humble respectful matter and I am sure they will approve of your decisions :)

PS: Also you can pull the its legos for big kids... moms dig lego's

Its all looks these days

In all honesty respect your parents, don't hate on your parents because they're always trying to do what is best for you. Just show them what you are planning to do, show them that this is a hobby and brings you enjoyment, and you are not just spending money on a waste of time. PC's can be a future career and teach you allot about technology which is a very useful skill to have. So approach it in a humble respectful matter and I am sure they will approve of your decisions :)

PS: Also you can pull the its legos for big kids... moms dig lego's

my mom is asian. the only response i'll get is "this no help you become doctor"

just say that you don't want to become a doctor(never got why people want to do this, hours are fucked and so is the workload), just do something that will pay just as well and requires a baller computer. some fields of engineering are probably like this. maybe try for biomed of the they want you in the medical field.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why would you upgrade that?

only thing i can imagine is the case, or maybe the cpu cooler

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

hahaha then i just wasted that much time typing that LOLOLOLOLOL

Its all looks these days