Damp laptop repair

Boink

Most people with window mounted ac units have probably run into water dripping inside instead of draining out the back on occasion. Mine happened to do that tonight with my laptop plugged in right below it. (I know, genius right?) Needless to say my laptop got dripped on and is now drying.

post-86623-0-87130100-1407650298.jpg

post-86623-0-97167000-1407650299.jpg

I'll post a video of the disassembly process, drying, and testing after the components are dry.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

hope it works, maybe you are as lucky as Linus :P

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Oh no's.  You probs have already seen if your doing this. 

My Rig: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Oh no's.  You probs have already seen if your doing this. 

Yep, I saw that. Although I've repaired several laptops before so this is nothing too new to me (I'm the go to guy for all my friends and teachers). I just never did it on my model and have only done one wet laptop repair before.

hope it works, maybe you are as lucky as Linus :P

I also wasn't as unlucky as Linus, just a little water in the keyboard and a little pooled in the bottom near the fan.

My biggest concern is that my keyboard is at least partially broken, the laptop itself should be fine.  :unsure:

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Bit of a lottery I'm afraid.  As the laptop was powered on at the time it got wet there is less chance of it working after the dry out (even the power from the CMOS battery can be enough).  Allow PLENTY time for it to dry out (blown air from a fan is good, just don't use HOT air [warm is prob OK]).  When you think/feel it is dryer than a really dry thing in the desert, give it another day or so.  Best of luck

EDIT :-  Possibly stand parts in a bowl of (uncooked, so dry and 'hungry' for moisture) rice to (help[still give it lots of time though]) absorb moisture.  Or if you have lots of sachets of 'do not eat' (silicon dessicant) lying about perhaps use those

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"