Do you consider the XBox One as a HTPC?

Eddyall

I believe that Microsoft is not doing a console this time and that is why as a console the XBox One just doesn't make (nearly) any sense.

As a HTPC it is kind of making sense, the problem is that it's probably not going to be good enough and even if it is it will then get outdated in a matter of months, the only thing as a HTPC it does better is games versus most HTPC.

*HTPC englobes all computer meant to add function to your TV here, Smart TVs and such are included

Yes I would consider it as an HTPC from what we have seen so far. I hope we see things that will change that in E3 to be honest.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

The thing is that it's locked down with software that can't be replaced or modified or you'd technically be violating Microsoft's ToS. 

That's the most valid reason to hate consoles is that mfgs get PO when you buy their product and want to make modifications to the hardware or software. It's technically still theirs even though you bought it. I've always thought that's absurd.

In short, no, it's not worth being called a HTPC.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I honestly wouldn't want to call it an HTPC just because I probably won't be able to just throw any format at it and it will play it perfectly.

La`~

I'm waiting until E3 before I form any solid opinions on the One. That being said however, there are a couple things I'd like to say. As a console gamer (for the exclusives), I didn't think the reveal was aimed at any form of gamer. It seemed like it was yet another over-glorified call of duty event. It seemed to me that the reveal was aimed more at people who want to watch ESPN with with a kinnect rather then people who want to play games. Like I said however, I'm pretty sure we'll see more about it at E3, and hopefully they say more then "Well, heres what it looks like. Heres the new call of duty. Theres this cloud thing you can use. And um.. Its black. Go home now".

One (haha get it?) thing i do agree on however is that the thing looks hideous. I was a fan of the 360 Slim, it was elegant and fit in nicely. This new thing looks like an '80s era VCR. But at least it plays Blu-Ray!  

I am whatever I am. 

I mean if it has the ability to stream and let me watch media of all types of formats from different sources perhaps - taking into account different file types.

Still waiting for more info though but atm nope.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Once it's hacked and I'm able to throw linux on it, then it could be interesting and possibly worth buying. As for buying it just to get the locked down xbox experience.. count me out.

As it is right now, I'm sure nearly everyone on here already has a current working method to play most if not all formats via streaming or external drive. The xbox 360 could stream and dared to be called media center didn't it?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

microsoft has done some work in getting tv content onto their console and now it has skype integration in with it. I'm not a fan of the kinect but with the skype integration I think there is going to be some sort of breakout software that will make it a standout product. what it is I don't know but I feel something really cool is going to come from that combination. 

just like the first few horseless carriages were clunky and cumbersome I believe the xbox is going to be like that with our transition away from cable TV to internet entertainment and social experiences. 

Can it record TV? ohhhh what a shame

/fail

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

everything is moving to cloud storage even cloud gaming, recording television content locally will probably become horse and buggy thinking. 

the last generation of consoles lasted 10 years. if this generation lasts that long I really hope that cable TV and the current method of TV distribution will be long dead

If it can play a variety of audio and video file types like mkv, flac, etc then I would

All HTPC dont look like a VCR, my parents would mistake that and throw it at a cat or something.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'd get one as a htpc if it was half its current price and if it didnt have a creepy always on camera and microphone staring at me