Scamming the Windows support scammers, Carey Holzman, GENIUS

Carey Holzman is great! I got called by one about 2 weeks ago and I pretended that I thought the computer was my oven. So when the guy told me to turn it on I starting asking whether I should put it on grill and what temperature. After about 10 minutes of me acting really dumb he just ended up hanging up on me, it was hilarious.

I don't get those calls :(

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

dumb enough to grab attention  <_<

"Subscribtions" ....

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

1406992702-capture.jpg

dumb enough to grab attention  <_<

so I can just call it to get some indo to troll? EPIC!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Ah, so this would be why my thread was deleted in General Discussion section - re-post.  :rolleyes: Would be nice if the mods could just send a quick PM when a thread is removed to let the OP know why.  :mellow:

Anyways, yeah, my grandfather got scammed by these guys. He's 90. Didn't give them any money but they left their mark on his PC. Took me many hours to remove all the crap and malware they installed. And it's still not completely clean.  <_<

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Wonderful, just wonderful. *sobbing*

Hahaha your profile pic sums it up (sorry for my bad English)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #GetWreckt

My mom got a call from "Microsoft" and she started speaking Swedish. Then giving the phone to me and I just hung up...

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #GetWreckt

Ah, so this would be why my thread was deleted in General Discussion section - re-post.  :rolleyes: Would be nice if the mods could just send a quick PM when a thread is removed to let the OP know why.  :mellow:

Anyways, yeah, my grandfather got scammed by these guys. He's 90. Didn't give them any money but they left their mark on his PC. Took me many hours to remove all the crap and malware they installed. And it's still not completely clean.  <_<

To be honest, if they've gotten into the machine that far, you're risking far too much by trying to clean it out manually. Cut your losses and do a complete format and reinstall. Also I highly recommend disconnecting your grandfather's modem for about a half hour and trying to force a DHCP renewal for the WAN IP Address.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be honest, if they've gotten into the machine that far, you're risking far too much by trying to clean it out manually. Cut your losses and do a complete format and reinstall. Also I highly recommend disconnecting your grandfather's modem for about a half hour and trying to force a DHCP renewal for the WAN IP Address.

It was awesome I sent it to my local paper and they are going to make an article about it.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I'm sorry, but you have to be really daft to not be suspicious of a random thick Indian accent calling claiming they are from Microsoft. Let alone giving access.

Once our generation becomes the elderly one, scammers are going to have a hell of a hard time trying to be convincing as we would know better. Oh, right..the generation before mine is dumb..we're doomed.

Nope everyone is just as dumb they just have even more technology at their disposal without out really understanding any of it.

Just think about this what is one main reason that people get smartphones, social media.

Nope everyone is just as dumb they just have even more technology at their disposal without out really understanding any of it.

Just think about this what is one main reason that people get smartphones, social media.

Actually my only reasoning behind getting a smartphone was gps for my job.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Although you do have one solid point in that in say 15 to 30 years, this scamming practice will be much harder to pull off, as most people will now be part of the generations in which computers have been a household item most or all of their lives. But by that point, the scammers will have thought of something totally new no doubt.

I think itll be just as easy maybe only a touch harder because now weve reached the point where pc and even tablet that are many times more powerful that the pcs i started out on. Also parents are giving their kids tablets instead of toys. This is really lowering what that tablet actually is and depending what they keep on there it could be bad if someone gets their hamds on it or hacks it. What im trying to say is that this technology is so mainstream that anyone can use it without really knowing anything about it. Ive seen a bunch of things on the web where people think kids should be taught about social media and how technology can be taken advantage of. In my opinion these are more life lessons that the parents should be teching, not that they probably know any better themselves.

Actually my only reasoning behind getting a smartphone was gps for my job.

Yes and you also on a tech forum.

This is so awesome :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Yes and you also on a tech forum.

Thats just a perk being able to get on here at work. :P