NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 certified?

How do you know that 880 will be using chip from 770?

Nevermind it was in that article I missed it.. but it is still just assumption not a fact.

BTW. If NVIDIA want to sell 800 series GPU then they need to give reason to upgrade also to those that are on 700 series. That is why I am saying that it will be a stupid move if 880 wont outperform 780 TI.

880 TI must be then very powerfull card in order to have reason upgrading to it.

Because multiple sources have said so. The GM204 will be a modified GK104, which is the chip used in the 770 and 760. The GK110, which is used in the 780, 780 Ti, Titan, and Titan Black, is a huge, and expensive, chip. That's why the 780 and 780 Ti are so expensive. Again, according to multiple sources, the GM204 will be used for both the 880 and 870, and even possibly the 860. The difference between the three will be how many cores are enabled. The version for the 880 is supposed to have more cores on it than the 770, making the chip slightly larger than the GK104, but still smaller than the GK110. If you read this article, or one of the numerous other articles that have been posted, you would know that.

All of that information is what has some people prematurely worried about the performance of the 880. They incorrectly think that the 256-bit bus on the GK104 and GM204 are incapable of using 4GB of VRAM. It's been proven over and over that it can, but they still refuse to believe it. Using a modified GK104 chip, and sticking with the 256-bit bus, is what will enable Nvidia to release the 880 at a cheaper price point than the 780. The larger GK110 chip, and larger 384-bit bus, on the 780 are both more expensive to manufacture.

The 780 Ti and Titan Black replacement is going to use the rumored GM200 chip, which will pack even more cores than the GK110 and use a 512-bit bus.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Incorrect. A 770 equals a 680 because they are the exact same chip. The 770 has a slight edge because of higher base clocks, but they are still the same chip. A 780 beats the 680 because the 780 uses a much larger chip, the same chip as the 780 Ti and the Titan series, but with disabled cores.

The 880 will be using a modified chip from the 770. Supposedly more cores than the 770, and the cores will be more efficient, but it's still a smaller chip and users fewer cores than the 780 Ti. Beyond the physical reasons why it won't beat the 780 Ti, there is the financial reasons. No way Nvidia is going to make the 780 Ti pointless by replacing it with a card that has a much lower price point. 

Is there any confirmation of that's what they're actually doing? I have yet to see ANYTHING from NVIDIA stating diddly squat about "maxwell"

And until something comes officially from nvidia, I could care less, because it's most likely click-baiting rumours.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Is futuremark's hardware section not working for anyone else but the rest of the site is? I want to go grab some results to get relative performance of cards but cant. If anyone can access it can they PM me some figures? I need the 580s average score, the 680s, the 780s, and the 780 tis

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Yay. more rumors which lead to nothing

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Can you please eliminate the "certified" word from the title? Super misleading, these are just more rumors we have seen in the last weeks.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

you guys argue about the next release of GPUs like apple humpers argue about the next release of the iphone xD 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Has nVidia said it will be called the 880 or has the internet made it up because it's higher than 780?

Alright, time for some performance comparisons

480 Fire Strike Score: 3640

580 Fire Strike Score: 5419

680 Fire Strike Score: 6408

780 Fire Strike Score: 8592

780 Ti Fire Stike Score: 9654

The 580 performs ~ 32% better than 480

The 680 performs ~18% better than a 580

The 780 performs ~ 34% better than a 680

The 780 Ti performs ~ 12% better than a 780

If we assume the average performance boost between flagship cards in the last 4 generations is ~ 28%, and Nvidia follows this trend, an 880 would easily beat out the 780 Ti.

You have to remember, the 780 Ti was only bought out in order to beat the R9 290X for the title of fastest card. It makes no sense financially and only offers that tiny performance boost over the 780 required to beat the 290X

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Has nVidia said it will be called the 880 or has the internet made it up because it's higher than 780?

Nvidia haven't even said anything... people are just guessing with the rumors, it has always been like that. :)

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I've heard all the months on the 2014 calendar. I stopped believing. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

You have to remember, the 780 Ti was only bought out in order to beat the R9 290X for the title of fastest card. It makes no sense financially and only offers that tiny performance boost over the 780 required to beat the 290X

Some people tend to ignore that.

We're kinda going on the assumption that Nvidia has used an X(10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80) naming convention for the last 6 generations and has no real need to change it until the 1000 series where naming will become kinda awkward.

I saw the post on riddit, Is it true? What do you guys think will it out perform the 780 ti?

http://videocardz.com/51117/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-released-september

"Riddit" Is that like slang for reddit now?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Alright, time for some performance comparisons

480 Fire Strike Score: 3640

580 Fire Strike Score: 5419

680 Fire Strike Score: 6408

780 Fire Strike Score: 8592

780 Ti Fire Stike Score: 9654

The 580 performs ~ 32% better than 480

The 680 performs ~18% better than a 580

The 780 performs ~ 34% better than a 680

The 780 Ti performs ~ 12% better than a 780

If we assume the average performance boost between flagship cards in the last 4 generations is ~ 28%, and Nvidia follows this trend, an 880 would easily beat out the 780 Ti.

Synthetic benchmarks are not a valid comparison of actual performance. You can have two cards where one beats the other in almost every game, but the losing card performs better in synthetic benchmarks. Also you need to pay very close attention to the CPU used in the synthetic benchmark tests. They are affected by CPU more and it's more likely that the CPU used will be different between different GPU generations. Also have to take into consideration driver improvements.

You are also have to remember that the 880 will be using a smaller GPU chip than the 780 Ti, without the benefit of a die shrink. The 880 will be using a modified 770 chip, not a modified 780 Ti or even 780 chip. The 780 saw a big jump over the 680 because it ditched the GK104 and used the GK110 from the Titan series. Adding a few cores to the 770, on a still smaller chip, should not make it perform better than a 780 Ti

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Synthetic benchmarks are not a valid comparison of actual performance. You can have two cards where one beats the other in almost every game, but the losing card performs better in synthetic benchmarks. Also you need to pay very close attention to the CPU used in the synthetic benchmark tests. They are affected by CPU more and it's more likely that the CPU used will be different between different GPU generations. Also have to take into consideration driver improvements.

You are also have to remember that the 880 will be using a smaller GPU chip than the 780 Ti, without the benefit of a die shrink. The 880 will be using a modified 770 chip, not a modified 780 Ti or even 780 chip. The 780 saw a big jump over the 680 because it ditched the GK104 and used the GK110 from the Titan series. Adding a few cores to the 770, on a still smaller chip, should not make it perform better than a 780 Ti

Synthetic benchmarks are a reletive measure of performance and game benchmarks typically back them up. You'll see +20-30 FPS going from a 680 to 780 and about 10 from a 780 to 780 Ti.

Also, you need a lesson on Maxwell. Each unit of a Maxwell chip is physically smaller than a Kepler chip due to using one less core per unit, but because it has more cache and better task scheduling it retains similar performance, the upshot being you can have more cores for the same space and greater stock clock speeds, we could even see 1-1.1GHz stock on a 80 class card. Because of the smaller size, you can have more units.

I can easily see the 880 beating the Ti. Just because one chip is bigger does not mean performance is greater, it depends entirely on architecture. A Fermi 580 is HUGE compared to a Kepler 680

Furthermore, you can also see how much smaller the 750 core is compared to the 650 and how handily it beats it

Incorrect. A 770 equals a 680 because they are the exact same chip. The 770 has a slight edge because of higher base clocks, but they are still the same chip. A 780 beats the 680 because the 780 uses a much larger chip, the same chip as the 780 Ti and the Titan series, but with disabled cores.

The 880 will be using a modified chip from the 770. Supposedly more cores than the 770, and the cores will be more efficient, but it's still a smaller chip and users fewer cores than the 780 Ti. Beyond the physical reasons why it won't beat the 780 Ti, there is the financial reasons. No way Nvidia is going to make the 780 Ti pointless by replacing it with a card that has a much lower price point. 

i disagree i think it will be faster , not fast enough for someone with a 780Ti to seriously consider upgrading unless they want the new features from the 880 but faster all the same, and at a cheaper price point so basically anyone without a 780Ti will want it

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

i disagree i think it will be faster , not fast enough for someone with a 780Ti to seriously consider upgrading unless they want the new features from the 880 but faster all the same, and at a cheaper price point so basically anyone without a 780Ti will want it

^This, though frankly I'm not building again until Cannonlake at the earliest, and by then we may have Larabe-level graphics on a CPU die with no need for the PCIe latency to send things to the GPU. With Knight's Landing bringing 80+ CPU cores to the server FCLGA socket, it's only a matter of time before heterogeneous SOCs can go toe to toe with all but the most high-end discrete cards, and resolution is approaching the ceiling of what human vision can differentiate on. 4K is not far from the theoretical maximum at close-up vision. At that point it comes down to adding finer spline details in games, and core counts will continue to rise to keep up on both fronts. 

I don't play the big FPS titles on 4K monitors or triple-monitor setups. Give me GW2 on highest detail in 1440p running at 60 fps in even the most densely-packed areas/events, and I'm good forevermore. Yes it's a much more CPU-intense game, not going to deny that, but most current titles don't interest me anymore, and my GPGPU computing can run on any platform.

Very soon (10-15 years) all Nvidia will have are its highest-end cards to sell, leaving AMD and Intel laughing all the way to the bank (even as Intel tries to kill its only x86 competitor and continues to improve power efficiency to combat ARM in non-PC markets). We're entering a new era of computing everyone. In five years Nvidia's stocks will be at their ripest point, and it'll be all downhill from there.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hey guys this just came out of nvidia headquartrs!!!! All 800 series cards will be PINK!!!!!!.......thats about as true as everything else....

Its all looks these days

^This, though frankly I'm not building again until Cannonlake at the earliest, and by then we may have Larabe-level graphics on a CPU die with no need for the PCIe latency to send things to the GPU. With Knight's Landing bringing 80+ CPU cores to the server FCLGA socket, it's only a matter of time before heterogeneous SOCs can go toe to toe with all but the most high-end discrete cards, and resolution is approaching the ceiling of what human vision can differentiate on. 4K is not far from the theoretical maximum at close-up vision. At that point it comes down to adding finer spline details in games, and core counts will continue to rise to keep up on both fronts. 

I don't play the big FPS titles on 4K monitors or triple-monitor setups. Give me GW2 on highest detail in 1440p running at 60 fps in even the most densely-packed areas/events, and I'm good forevermore. Yes it's a much more CPU-intense game, not going to deny that, but most current titles don't interest me anymore, and my GPGPU computing can run on any platform.

Very soon (10-15 years) all Nvidia will have are its highest-end cards to sell, leaving AMD and Intel laughing all the way to the bank (even as Intel tries to kill its only x86 competitor and continues to improve power efficiency to combat ARM in non-PC markets). We're entering a new era of computing everyone. In five years Nvidia's stocks will be at their ripest point, and it'll be all downhill from there.

i still play csgo @ 1024x768 because thats what im used to, actually all FPS games in the Half Life style i have to play like that or i feel bad and my aim is all wonky when it comes to games like BF or Planetside 2 1080P is fine, its only MMO/RTS where i can see higher resolutions helping me play better as i can see more. the whole 4k thing doesnt do it for me i all these big HP gains to push 4k will just mean my next upgrade will be around for a LOOONG LOONG time

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Well, I want to be honest here and tell you that I enjoy people arguing by comparing products from both teams, and by arguing I mean valid arguments of people who understands this stuff, not some trolling s**t, its better for me reading this than something about Justin Bieber,

I always thought knights landing was a xeon phi card.

anyways; thinking the 780ti won't get beat by a 880... HOW CAN IT NOT? Nvidia would have to mess up real bad in order to do that... those maxwell cores are simpler to 3456 kepler cores... it would have to be extremely limited in order to not pass a 780ti in performance.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Just saying, they are probably not going to use the same cooler design from the last gen high end stuff. In the 600 series we also had different coolers so I think they will remake even newer ones. Maybe even some single slot cards!

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I always thought knights landing was a xeon phi card.

anyways; thinking the 780ti won't get beat by a 880... HOW CAN IT NOT? Nvidia would have to mess up real bad in order to do that... those maxwell cores are simpler to 3456 kepler cores... it would have to be extremely limited in order to not pass a 780ti in performance.

Knight's Landing takes the Xeon Phi and puts it on a socketable chip to eliminate overhead.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd