Popular YouTube Tech Channels Becoming More and More Similar... With the exception of LTT

JoshK

Ive been a fan of watching tech videos on youtube for about the past year. My top favorites are Unbox Therapy, Linus (my favorite :D), MKBHD and Austin Evans. They all have their own personal touch to their videos, but am I the only one that have notice MKBHD and Austin Evans have become more and more just about the same content? Im not talking about just reviewing the same products but the way their videos are edited. They both have a very professional and modern feel of them, but if you were to take out the audio with the exception of music and showed them to a group of people that have never seen them before, they would think they were made by the exact same person. Heres an example:

Maybe its just me, but I am stating what I have seen happen between these two channels while watching them grow.

Out of the 4 you mentioned, I only watch Linus(because Luke). I like the style of Linus' videos, they are pretty unique, especially the "We wanna go fast" part of the overclocking episode, you wouldn't see that from Austin.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Out of the 4 you mentioned, I only watch Linus(because Luke). I like the style of Linus' videos, they are pretty unique, especially the "We wanna go fast" part of the overclocking episode, you wouldn't see that from Austin.

you watch it because you fancy Luke, don't lie to us. :P

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

you watch it because you fancy Luke, don't lie to us. :P

wat no....yes

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Thinking about it, it makes sense.

Consumers care about the iPhone and Beats and all that stuff, not the Pentium anniversary edition. If you're a content creator, you're going to want to cover stuff that people care about, and even Linus is starting to do this, covering more ultrabooks and phones over the last year or so.

That said, I can see what you mean about the editing.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Yeah,, I've been spending less and less time on youtube recently and the number of channels I subscribe to has also diminished.. There's no point in watching several videos about a topic/product if the one or two videos I watch answer all my questions about it.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

While the content is somewhat the same, each content creator has different personalities and outlooks on a particular product. For example, In both Austin's and Marques' videos, you will see them voice different opinions about the same product. This is mainly because different products target different audiences. Due to this, it becomes more likely to want to watch two reviews of the same product. This happens on several occasions like how Linus wasn't to thrilled on the LG G3's display, yet Marques was ecstatic. I think it helps to watch reviews from each content creator because you are then able to see what appeals to them in a product which in turn can help you understand just what is right for you.

You should check out MKBHD and Austin Evans, they are really good

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

You should check out MKBHD and Austin Evans, they are really good

I've tried watching them, but Austin's voice just grinds on me and MKBHD doesn't have anything that appeals to me.

Technobuffalo was one if the first major players in consumer technology reviews

MKBHD and Unboxtherapy popped up a couple years ago and really made the push towards higher quality reviews of consumer tech like phones etc.

Austin Evans has ghreat videos, but his voice is a little annoying

LinusTechTips and TekSyndicate mostly cover PC hardware with occasional consumer tech, and have very different opinions from one another.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I've tried watching them, but Austin's voice just grinds on me and MKBHD doesn't have anything that appeals to me.

snip

I'm sorry to reiterate this a third time, but someone should really inform @austinevans about his inflection. His content is good, and his opinions are good. But EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE has the same inflection that rises in the middle and drops at the end. I simply cannot watch his videos because of this.

Edit

I feel I should be more specific. Probably not all of his videos sound like this but here's an example. I couldn't watch a full minute of this. 

Photon $500 Gaming PC Build - June 2014:

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

I used to watch Austin Evans, but once his content started becoming more and more consumer tech (phones and beats), I unsubbed. I don't care about that shit, which is why I don't watch MKBHD.

Unbox Therapy is quite fine.

I might get back into watching TS though if they do something good.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I used to watch Austin Evans, but once his content started becoming more and more consumer tech (phones and beats), I unsubbed. I don't care about that shit, which is why I don't watch MKBHD.

Unbox Therapy is quite fine.

I might get back into watching TK though if they do something good.

Thats what happened to me to. I watched Austin for a while and then discovered Linus. I dont watch anyone else, but I do sometimes check on Austin and MKBHDs channels just to see what they are releasing. While they are both a one man crew, it seems as if they dont post hardly at all, which for me is a HUGE deal breaker when it comes to youtube. I want new content to watch every day, which is why I love Linus. Also, I like the more laid back feel Linus has in his videos and in Channel Super Fun which is actually comedy entertainment.

Thats what happened to me to. I watched Austin for a while and then discovered Linus. I dont watch anyone else, but I do sometimes check on Austin and MKBHDs channels just to see what they are releasing. While they are both a one man crew, it seems as if they dont post hardly at all, which for me is a HUGE deal breaker when it comes to youtube. I want new content to watch every day, which is why I love Linus. Also, I like the more laid back feel Linus has in his videos and in Channel Super Fun which is actually comedy entertainment.

Some more channels you could check out are Tech of Tomorrow, JayzTwoCents, Barnacules Nerdgasm, and NCIXcom, they all have the kind of style you like. While the first 3 don't upload every day, they do upload regularly.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

This is why you have to have a niche on top of covering common consumer goods. Linus Media Group knows this. Their style of videos fits into a niche. The other guys are dull clones of one another and because of that, enthusiasts give them little attention. If Linus were to one day become Cnet, I would unsub in an instant.