Ejecting a USB stick(flash drive)

brownninja97

Has anyone got any problems by taking a usb stick(flash drive) out of your computer and not using the eject icon at the bottom right(for windows dunno about mac).

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i never used it on my flash drive(which is alive since i bought it in 2009) but i use it on others because i dont want their flash drive to die on me

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Some people use different names for a usb stick which is what most people around me call it. This is the thing im talking about...kingston-hyperx-comparison-540x334.jpg?1

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

ive never ejected my usb sticks and never had any problems.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I just pull it out and nothing has happened 

:huh:

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I'm too paranoid so i always eject.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I'm too paranoid so i always eject.

I'm with kayn on this. I'm afraid I'll lose all of my data, so I always eject. I know a few people who have lost data by not ejecting.

Has anyone got any problems by taking a usb stick(flash drive) out of your computer and not using the eject icon at the bottom right(for windows dunno about mac).

OS X screams at you if you don't press eject first. :P

SanDisk usb sticks come with software (or atleast they used to, dunno if they still do that) wich allows you to do a couple things like backups and stuff, but if you didn't eject before you removed it from your pc all your data was lost.

A lot of people in my class lost their data, I just removed the software and used it like any other usb flash drive and never had any issues.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

SanDisk usb sticks come with software (or atleast they used to, dunno if they still do that) wich allows you to do a couple things like backups and stuff, but if you didn't eject before you removed it from your pc all your data was lost.

A lot of people in my class lost their data, I just removed the software and used it like any other usb flash drive and never had any issues.

Yeah I remember using it. Can't remember what it was called but it was good stuff. You could play games and run programs from it. Actually I thik that it was called U3.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I'm with kayn on this. I'm afraid I'll lose all of my data, so I always eject. I know a few people who have lost data by not ejecting.

I lost all my school work, but thankfully I had a backup at home. My school computers don't allow you to eject the flash drive...

I eject, but its safe to just pull it out

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Yeah I remember using it. Can't remember what it was called but it was good stuff. You could play games and run programs from it. Actually I thik that it was called U3.

Yeah, kind of similar to PortableApps: http://portableapps.com/

I just pull it out. No protection uses ever. ^_^

Never had an issue.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

1. Safely remove USB mass storage device.

2. Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again."

3. Ah, F*** it. *Pulls out USB drive*

4. ???

5. Profit.

Most of the time it'll be fine, but eject it just in case. I have lost data on two occasions because of it not being safely ejected.

Heres the protocol I use:

For data I can easily replace and that wouldn't be more than a minor inconvienience if I lose:

I don't eject but I also make sure that I am not performing any writes to the drive at the time.

For other peoples USB sticks, or data which I do not have a backup of (I always take a backup though so its a bit of an null point):

I always eject the USB stick under all circumstances, I work as an IT technician and the last thing I want is some one crying to me because their memory stick becomes corrupt and they are too dumb to think about taking a backup.

From experience, it does make a difference though, the amount of staff members I have had come to me with corrupt USB sticks expecting me to wave some magic wand over it and recover their data is immense, they never take backups and they never eject, so its bound to happen to them sooner or later, especially when they use the stupid free memory sticks that look like they should be found in a bag of cereal. Bare in mind also that the amount of use the drive receives also makes it more likely to be come corrupt, in my work environment USB sticks are the primary method of transfer between work and home for some reason and as a result they get hammered on a regular basis.

As much as their ignorance annoys me, I do take backups of their data whenever I can, normally gets me on their good side if I can save their day and present a backup of their data.

I used to have a flash drive that claimed to have some sort of "always safe to pull out" technology, although I never really trusted that. About half the time I'd pull it out without ejecting. Over time, I started to notice corrupted files, and eventually it stopped working all together. So much for that.

I still have a U3 drive (SanDisk Cruzer Micro) and never ejected it safely... still works perfectly :)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I just pull out, although as we know from other parts of the life that's not always the safe thing to do.

I know that was just totally childish.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I safely eject when I've been reading or writing to it before i remove it because I have had times when windows has stopped detecting it or corrupted files because it said it had finished copying but it wasn't really done. One of my friends lost lost of (unimportant) data this way.

HTTP/2 203

It's never actually mattered but most of the times (unless I'm in a hurry) I safely eject just in case I forgot something open or transferring. Ironically it has told me a few times that the device is in use but after checking what is using it and find nothing I end up pulling it out anyway... I never put something on my flash drive without backing it up anyway, that would be stupid.