Why do mobile phones today have non-removable battries?

seiny

I'm looking for facts, not conjecture - :)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

So when the battery is dead you need to buy a new one. Also it helps them make phones thinner and lighter ect ect.

Most likely xD

So when the battery is dead you need to buy a new one. Also it helps them make phones thinner and lighter ect ect.

There has to be a way to replace it though, like any other internal component

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

There has to be a way to replace it though, like any other internal component

yea rip it open and break it. I know the iPhones the batteries are glued and soldered in.

Same reason RAM is soldered into Macbooks and Razer Blades - mostly due to form factor compromises.

At least I would think anyways.

Same reason RAM is soldered into Macbooks and Razer Blades - mostly due to form factor compromises.

At least I would think anyways.

That makes sense though, and it probably costs them less to do it that way

Makes it slimmer, dont have to worry about building a connector etc just solder the battery in

yea rip it open and break it. I know the iPhones the batteries are glued and soldered in.

No they are not. They are just sitting there. No glue or solder. It's placed in there very snugly.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

because the new generation of people are too stupid to know how to take out a battery anyway

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

because the new generation of people are too stupid to know how to take out a battery anyway

Go away man :mellow:

Go away man :mellow:

i'm sorry for the harsh wording :S

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Well not removable really just means its connected by a ribbon cable and a few screws, you can replace batteries in phones just not easily

No they are not. They are just sitting there. No glue or solder. It's placed in there very snugly.

Iphones do indeed have some glue/tape to hold them in place, which is a real pain because the batteries Apple uses are so soft.  You need to quite careful when removing them so you do not puncture the battery, but there isn't a lot of room to get a tool underneath to pry it out and it takes a fare amount of force to pull it free from the glue.

At least that is how it is with the iphone 5.

So, while you can replace the batteries in most phones if you want to void your warranty, manufactures do no make it easy and there is no real incentive for them.

Iphones do indeed have some glue/tape to hold them in place, which is a real pain because the batteries Apple uses are so soft.  You need to quite careful when removing them so you do not puncture the battery, but there isn't a lot of room to get a tool underneath to pry it out and it takes a fare amount of force to pull it free from the glue.

At least that is how it is with the iphone 5.

So, while you can replace the batteries in most phones if you want to void your warranty, manufactures do no make it easy and there is no real incentive for them.

So if your phone was faulty and needs a battery replacement, how would an average user go about getting it repaired? Apple service center or equivalent I'm guessing?

So if your phone was faulty and needs a battery replacement, how would an average user go about getting it repaired? Apple service center or equivalent I'm guessing?

If you are within your warranty period, going to an Apple store is the safest and easiest option and depending on the issue, they might do it for free, or bill you for the part or get you a new phone.  

Taking your phone to a repair shop would be another option, though I'm not sure how warranties are handled there, if you're already out of warranty then there's no problem.  Some of these shops are run out of a persons home, and they'll do a repair for pretty cheap and usually very quick if they don't have a lot of backlog.  They won't be using original iphone parts, but it should work just the same.

The last option would be to do it yourself.  You'll need a TS1 pentalobe screwdriver (because apple uses those terrible security screws), some other tools, a replacement battery (they're pretty cheap on ebay) and time.  https://www.ifixit.com/ has some pretty good guides, and they have a pretty nice tool kit you can buy that has everything you could want.  Or you can go to an electronics store, and see if they have a kit.  

The worst part of doing it yourself, at least with the 5/c/s line is getting the screen out.  You need to use a suction cup and something to pry the screen out, without damaging it.  And they don't come out willingly.

Well, the only smartphones that have removable batteries is the Samsung Galaxy S5. Well, all Galaxy S phones for that matter.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D