Editors and Macs

Chiggles01

Just generally curious here.

Why do most editors/Photo Manipulators use macs?  The only reason I could come up with is that they use Final Cut Pro, or that in some way Mac is better optimised for editing.

Just generally curious here.

Why do most editors/Photo Manipulators use macs?  The only reason I could come up with is that they use Final Cut Pro, or that in some way Mac is better optimised for editing.

95de99c6abf988f72ddebb4730bb6c37.png

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Some software works better in an OSX environment, not to mention that apple can ensure stability (for the most part, this has been going down the drain lately) because they have 100% control over the hardware you use with their software. That said, just building a hackintosh is the better option when going for editing in OSX.

adobe cc is better optimised for mac

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I haven't used one enough to really notice any major differences and I honestly don't know enough of video editing or music production (another area where macs can be seen all the time) but I honestly think their marketing has been a big influence, they've always tried to appeal to the artist within through their design and marketing, Steve Jobs himself said countless times how passionate he was to bring together art and technology. I think all this lead to people associating artistic creation with mac.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

put osx on a pc

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

It's mainly an industry bias rooted in the past with little reason now. BUT macs do come with great screens, and are easier for less advanced users. So there's that.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

-snip-

The display thing is kinda irrelevant as most pre-built computers don't come with a display just like a Mac Pro doesn't and it's not that hard to pick out a great display not to mention if your GPU has DP you can use an Apple display.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

The display thing is kinda irrelevant as most pre-built computers don't come with a display just like a Mac Pro doesn't and it's not that hard to pick out a great display not to mention if your GPU has DP you can use an Apple display.

I'd have to say as far as color accuracy goes, having done some work on Imacs, I was very impressed. But I still think that those think they need apple for content creation are mistaken. Even withthe font thing. In fact, they way macs render font IMO is horribly fucked up compared to TrueType, that's why I do web dev on windows.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Final Cut pro 7 and Logic Pro is pretty much why they're popular. That plus the fact most won't want to learn how to use Windows means they probably won't want to change now. Finally, there's the fact that most new people hear "OS X is great at editing" so they'll probably go with that as well. That's my take on it at least.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

It's a throwback from when apple was the only prebuilt manufacturer that supplied a half decent photo editing program with the computer.

Nowadays nearly everyone uses Photoshop so all you need is a decent monitor and half decent pc and your right to go.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's a throwback from when apple was the only prebuilt manufacturer that supplied a half decent photo editing program with the computer.

Nowadays nearly everyone uses Photoshop so all you need is a decent monitor and half decent pc and your right to go.

Your correct, however when you've used Mac OS X For over a decade you stick with what you know and know how to use.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Your correct, however when you've used Mac OS X For over a decade you stick with what you know and know how to use.

we are creatures of habit that's for sure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

--snip

In short I would say one is not buying Mac, but basically buying ecosystem and Macs have better ecosystem for certain areas.

And for those "I can build cheaper hackintosh" - in the end it might not be cheaper even if you technically get it like 30% cheaper. For people who does not build PCs wasting time on building one most likely will cost more as in that time he could have earned more by doing his work.

Hipsters....Hipsters everywhere..

Details separate people.

I'd have to say as far as color accuracy goes, having done some work on Imacs, I was very impressed. But I still think that those think they need apple for content creation are mistaken. Even withthe font thing. In fact, they way macs render font IMO is horribly fucked up compared to TrueType, that's why I do web dev on windows.

This remind me creating one website from my friends design:

he: where's the gradients?

me: what gradients?

On my dell laptops screen they looked white while on his MacBook there was light grey gradient :D

Theres some really nice programms on osx, but its probably because of the look of f.e. a mac pro (the silver one). Looks professional kind of :D

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

One of the reasons is of course the way the os looks and feels. But also some great features like mission control (spaces). For produktivity a pc just isnt as hood as a mac. My old imac only got a dualcore and 4gigs of ram. It still can handle inDesign, photoshop, and illustrator at the same. Even 3D stuff with vray4c4d are no problem. There are quite expensive tho :/ but my boss buys it so who cares