The best Nvidia Card for 1440p?

Thx in advance!  :)

I play all games and just wanted to know what the community thinks, before I make final decisions. 

I am not interested in AMD, so don't suggest that.

My current choice is The Asus Strix 780 w/ 6GB Vram, since that would be a good card for future-proofing the GPU side of things and it overclocks like a beast

780 for sure.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Seems good, maybe the EVGA gtx 780 6GB ACX? I myself have an EVGA card w ACX and it's pretty quiet! Also, everyone is bonkers about EVGA's customer care & warranty. EVGA also have a "step up" thing that lets you for example upgrade your product to a better one and just pay the cost difference!

Quentin

Seems good, maybe the EVGA gtx 780 6GB ACX? I myself have an EVGA card w ACX and it's pretty quiet! Also, everyone is bonkers about EVGA's customer care & warranty. EVGA also have a "step up" thing that lets you for example upgrade your product to a better one and just pay the cost difference!

Quentin

Hmm, that's a very good recommendation. Gonna take a look at that one. It seems it's 60€ more expensive in my region. I think I prefer the ASUS one in this case. I'm a bit of an ASUS fanboy :D, but for a good reason.

it seems that the EVGA 780 6GB seems really good, especially with the custom cooler

Quentin

it seems that the EVGA 780 6GB seems really good, especially with the custom cooler

EVGA GTX 780 6GB is a total fukin rip-off there is now way a 780 can keep up with something that will use more than 4GB's having 6 GB is just pointless adn there is no way you will be using more than 3GBs in 1440p even 4K doesnt use that much ram with filters... get a normal 780 

dont get a 6GB if you are not going to 4way sli them high on LN2 even then it wont be able to keep up  

I play all games and just wanted to know what the community thinks, before I make final decisions. 

My current choice is The Asus Strix 780 w/ 6GB Vram, since that would be a good card for future-proofing the GPU side of things and it overclocks like a beast

why u don't interested in AMD? I am not gonna try to push you like others but just wondering. have u had any problems with it? AMD is good though just so u know

why u don't interested in AMD? I am not gonna try to push you like others but just wondering. have u had any problems with it? AMD is good though just so u know

I have my reasons, don't care to explain

You won't use over 3gb in 1440p, even if you were, a single GPU wouldn't be fast enough to keep you above 30 FPS while using that kind of vram.

If you really want it for the "zero DB fan" stuff, and the looks + overclockability, that's alright, but the 6gb is just a marketing gimmick.

If you're only after overclockability, get a classified 780 or see if you can buy a 780 lightning, as they will pull ahead in that region.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

EVGA GTX 780 6GB is a total fukin rip-off there is now way a 780 can keep up with something that will use more than 4GB's having 6 GB is just pointless adn there is no way you will be using more than 3GBs in 1440p even 4K doesnt use that much ram with filters... get a normal 780 

dont get a 6GB if you are not going to 4way sli them high on LN2 even then it wont be able to keep up  

I will be playing 5760x1080 aswell

I think it´s high time for a 6GB version, not a rip off. And 5670x1080 will probably max out 4GB if you play on ultra and on MSAAx8.

Another thing though, does your budget allow a Titan? It will perform much better at 5760x1080p.

I wont buy the Titan. The Evga seems like the best solution. It's an amazing card

I have my reasons, don't care to explain

It's because you stuffed two 290x's with mediocre cooling performance into a case with bad airflow. Don't be surprised when 2 780s get very hot too.

If you're only getting 1 card now then just get the 780ti, you'll need the power of it for good 1440p gaming.

Plz dude, try to stay classy. I wont buy AMD cause I bought the ROG SWIFT monitor. The 290x's were too loud anyways.

If he says he ain't touchin AMD, then it is only futile to talk AMD, brotha'... And Tassadar, I unserstand you arent going for the Titan... As for the Strix or ACX 6GB, both of them perform very well... It's all up to you! Once again, I'd personally go for the Evga because of their outstanding warranty & aesthetics! I'm sure it'll work out well either way though!  ;)

Thx dude. I chose the EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB. I don't really need that extra 3gb. If it wasnt 24% more expensive I'd buy the 6GB. 24% in price VS 1-5% in fps is not very smart for me

I think it´s high time for a 6GB version, not a rip off. And 5670x1080 will probably max out 4GB if you play on ultra and on MSAAx8.

i said a 780 cant keep up with something that can use more than 4GB's hell it takes 4 Titan Blacks in SLİ to run a game that uses 4GB's at 60FPS how on earth can one measly 780 keep up with that kind of usage.

unless you didnt get it again i will explain in a diffrent way:

first of all even 4K doesnt use more than 3-3.5 GB's (go look anywhere you want) 

but thats not what im trying to say here is what i mean by a 780 wont beign able to keep up;

if a game uses 4GB+ VRam that either means its devs didnt give a single shit about PC (aka Watch Dogs that sucker uses alot of VRam) or the game is just so HUGE that it can use 4GB+ VRam at 1440p. 780 cant run that game even if it had 20GB's of VRam because the bottleneck will be the raw power of the card and not how much VRam it needs

ohh dude you dont get it do you?

i said a 780 cant keep up with something that can use more than 4GB's hell it takes 4 Titan Blacks in SLİ to run a game that uses 4GB's at 60FPS how on earth can one measly 780 keep up with that kind of usage.

unless you didnt get it again i will explain in a diffrent way:

first of all even 4K doesnt use more than 3-3.5 GB's (go look anywhere you want) 

but thats not what im trying to say here is what i mean by a 780 wont beign able to keep up;

if a game uses 4GB+ VRam that either means its devs didnt give a single shit about PC (aka Watch Dogs that sucker uses alot of VRam) or the game is just so fucking HUGE that it can use 4GB+ VRam at 1440p. 780 cant run that game even if it had 20GB's of VRam because the bottleneck will be the raw power of the card and not how much VRam it needs

Ok, Baris.

So you are saying that the gtx 780 6GB can't handle it? I DID suggest a Titan to Tassadar just so you know. But why did you say "Get a normal 780", and then,  "780 cant run that game even if it had 20GB's of VRam because the bottleneck will be the raw power of the card and not how much VRam it needs." What would YOU recommend to Tassadar, if he doesn't want to go further than a gtx 780?

Cheers

It's because you stuffed two 290x's with mediocre cooling performance into a case with bad airflow. Don't be surprised when 2 780s get very hot too.

If you're only getting 1 card now then just get the 780ti, you'll need the power of it for good 1440p gaming.

Just let him be. He seems stupid enough not to realize what the cause of the temperatures were. When he finally SLIs two GTX 780s with a blower-style cooler, which is basically every non-water, non-reference aftermarket cooler readily available, he'll get very high temperatures all the same. You can't do a multi-card rig without a case that has a well thought-out airflow. He lives in Finland where year-round temperatures are cool and gets abysmal temps on the top/sandwiched card. I live in a tropical country where 30C is "cool" and the SLI and Crossfire rigs I've seen on air cooling don't go above 80C.  :lol: 

Either that, or he's just being rather vocal about hating on AMD for obvious reasons.

And for the actual card, go plop money on a GTX 780 Ti. It's worth it as it still maintains a lead over the R9 290X at those resolutions. You'll get additional rep for having their fastest single GPU card -- bar none. The 3 GB VRAM is enough even for 5760x1080, at least on the latest crop of games. The GTX 780 (non-Ti) rapidly loses its value above 1080p resolution as it loses its lead over the cheaper R9 290 the higher you go.

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

Just let him be. He seems stupid enough not to realize what the cause of the temperatures were. When he finally SLIs two GTX 780s with a blower-style cooler, which is basically every non-water, non-reference aftermarket cooler readily available, he'll get very high temperatures all the same. You can't do a multi-card rig without a case that has a well thought-out airflow. He lives in Finland where year-round temperatures are cool and gets abysmal temps on the top/sandwiched card. I live in a tropical country where 30C is "cool" and the SLI and Crossfire rigs I've seen on air cooling don't go above 80C.  :lol: 

Either that, or he's just being rather vocal about hating on AMD for obvious reasons.

And for the actual card, go plop money on a GTX 780 Ti. It's worth it as it still maintains a lead over the R9 290X at those resolutions. You'll get additional rep for having their fastest single GPU card -- bar none. The 3 GB VRAM is enough even for 5760x1080, at least on the latest crop of games. The GTX 780 rapidly loses its value above 1080p resolution as it loses its lead over the cheaper R9 290 the higher you go.

Well I'm nit sure there are "obvious reasons" to hate on AMD, but I want to ask if I'm mistaken on what a blower-style cooler is? I had always thought a blower cooler was the reference design that blew heat out the back of the PC?

Anyway, there are plenty of examples of people with two non-ref 780s/290s running and without issue. It's clear he had no spacing or very poor airflow.

Well I'm nit sure there are "obvious reasons" to hate on AMD, but I want to ask if I'm mistaken on what a blower-style cooler is? I had always thought a blower cooler was the reference design that blew heat out the back of the PC?

Anyway, there are plenty of examples of people with two non-ref 780s/290s running and without issue. It's clear he had no spacing or very poor airflow.

By blower, I mean the fans blow air downwards, onto the direction of the heatsink and PCB to dissipate heat. The enclosed blower coolers, like on reference AMD and Nvidia coolers, blow air outwards through the vents located along the bracket. The non-enclosed blower type coolers require space to suck it air to blow onto the card, otherwise it'll just create negative pressure and heat will build up. That's why the top or sandwiched cards become very hot if fresh air isn't passing through quickly enough. Others just water cool it since it can be a pain, especially on smaller cases. However, in our country where both humidity and temperature is very high, the benefits of the more commonly available aftermarket water coolers aren't as evident. You'd need a custom loop that can pump fast enough and a coolant that can absorb more energy than water, or turn on the air conditioning every time. It's a bit different given the weather in tropical countries. Very high humidity and 30 to 38C temps outdoors depending on time of the year, even hotter indoors without air conditioning.

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

I bon't think so there are rumors that watch dogs use up to 3.4 GBs of Vram andthere's are new games coming out soon that will use more then 3 GB of vram.

Plz dude, try to stay classy. I wont buy AMD cause I bought the ROG SWIFT monitor. The 290x's were too loud anyways.

I will be playing 5760x1080 aswell

Oh man, this is confusing now so ur saying u bought ROG Swift monitor to play 5760x1080? it sounds to me that ur just hating AMD for whatever reason, the 290x u previously have was quiet, may be not the most silent gpu, if u care too much about it u might aswell use onboard gpu, secondly u stuffed 2x290x into a bad airflow case and complain that it is too hot? this is none of AMD's fault, u didn't do your research before u buy so is your fault. and u think 780 will run cooler? LOL! most non reference 290x card runs at 70-85C max load just the same as 780.

MSI GTX780 Twin Frozr Gaming OC 6GB

ASUS STRIX GTX780 OC 6GB

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler 6GB

these are the only 6GB 780s i can find so pick one

Btw one of my friend buit is dream PC using the MSI's version, heres the link

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/181887-overkill-system/

haf fun