The best Nvidia Card for 1440p?

Preserving fps compared to losing fps it's a gain and I'm well aware of what the VRAM does. If you normally get say 48 fps on a specific game with high AA using the 3gb 780, then with a 6gb 780 you get 50 fps it's a gain, even if it's "preserving" a mediocre 2 fps... The word "gain" does not specify how you gained something, it just mean a value/number increase. Don't get so technical with these things. Nonetheless I am not recommending the 6gb version nor defending it, it's a mediocre gain and a waste of money.

No thats wrong VRam doenst give you FPS at any situation it prevents you to run a game vs not beign able to run a game if a card doesnt have enough VRam it basiclly wont run the game and be sitting at 0FPS

Agreed, I just fired up BF4 to double check and i'm over 3gb as well @ 1200p

I was using 2.2-2.8gb at 1440p on my 2 780's, bf4 has been known to have a vram cache, where it can cache more vram then actually needed to run the game, it barely uses 3gb at 4k.

I'll go fire it up with my 290x, I bet it uses more vram now, since there's more it can cache.

05af468b9a.jpg

f18c06ec05.jpg

8f95f257e2.jpg

8a1475e440.jpg

54deb38758.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Was it an OCed model ? Aside from that even 1 to 2fps is within margin of reason . A new driver could account for that. Lets not get crazy here LOL.

But it is you who got crazy... I only mentioned a benchmark and you jumped crazy explaining VRAM like an excited freshman. How about you on my blocked list? That way I won't get notified by you anymore, talking with you it's like talking to a wall. 

No thats wrong VRam doenst give you FPS at any situation it prevents you to run a game vs not beign able to run a game if a card doesnt have enough VRam it basiclly wont run the game and be sitting at 0FPS

My posts were directed to I/O explaining why I used the word gain. I wasn't implying that thanks to the 6gb there was a gain, it just happens that the 6gb version was the one with the gain, not thanks to the VRAM. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. :( I've already suffered the consequences of not having enough VRAM in the past, I know first hand what you mean. :D So yep, you're correct!

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Plz dude, try to stay classy. I wont buy AMD cause I bought the ROG SWIFT monitor. The 290x's were too loud anyways.

Howd u get that monitor already :o im gonna get that and then a 780ti, why are you set on the 780 instead of the ti

Howd u get that monitor already :o im gonna get that and then a 780ti, why are you set on the 780 instead of the ti

I pre-ordered it  :) . I worded that wrong. I prefer the 780 over the Ti cause of the price. The Ti is 30% more expensive, but only 5-12% better in performance. Also, the EVGA SC ACX 780 overclocks easily, while maintaining quiet operation and temps under 70C.  :)

I pre-ordered it  :) . I worded that wrong. I prefer the 780 over the Ti cause of the price. The Ti is 30% more expensive, but only 5-12% better in performance. Also, the EVGA SC ACX 780 overclocks easily, while maintaining quiet operation and temps under 70C.  :)

Good choice Tassadar! :)

Good choice Tassadar! :)

yeah, I think so too

What many seem to not consider, is the fact that games are ever changing... 

Today we're on the edge of 3gbs.. And for anyone who's tried having too little vram - Yeah, that KILLS performance.

The way to look at this is not wether 6gbs are enough... But that 3gbs won't be enough in the future and will already struggle in some cases today. 

It's a question of needing MORE vram than 3gbs. In this case, it's 6gbs we have to go for then. 

Yes, 6gbs are completely overkill, but it's the only option above 3gbs on the green team.

I think we can all agree that 3gbs WON'T be enough in the near future to have a completely solid gameplay experience on the edge.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

The 780 will be more than fine for many years. The problem some people are seeing is that they are running stupid high AA on a 27" 1440p display. There is no point, Linus even said himself you don't need anything over 2x at that resolution, you can't see the difference. You can buy 2 GTX780s for ~$900 or a single TI for ~$650...

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

The 780 will be more than fine for many years. The problem some people are seeing is that they are running stupid high AA on a 27" 1440p display. There is no point, Linus even said himself you don't need anything over 2x at that resolution, you can't see the difference. You can buy 2 GTX780s for ~$900 or a single TI for ~$650...

Though I won't agree with you on wether or not you are able to see the difference, i think that comes down to what you appreciate with graphical fidelity. 

I will agree with you that the 780 will be fine for years to come. I've used my 5870 for 3 years, at it was still going strong, (relatively speaking) and could still perform like a r9 270x.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Though I won't agree with you on wether or not you are able to see the difference, i think that comes down to what you appreciate with graphical fidelity. 

I will agree with you that the 780 will be fine for years to come. I've used my 5870 for 3 years, at it was still going strong, (relatively speaking) and could still perform like a r9 270x.

Well, it just doesn't make nearly the same visual impact it does on a less dense display.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Update: My local PC store will be at a  Summer LAN called the ASSEMBLY, basically Dreamhack in Finland. They are selling the ASUS DC II 780 for 100€ less. So I will buy that instead. I've always had DC II cards in my rigs and they have been wonderful.

Update: My local PC store will be at a Summer LAN called the ASSEMBLY, basically Dreamhack in Finland. They are selling the ASUS DC II 780 for 100€ less. So I will buy that instead. I've always had DC II cards in my rigs and they have been wonderful.

Still a good choice I guess, Just be careful since the DCUII have the most heat output inide the case, their fans are pull, so you need good airflow.

Quentin.