Shopping for new pump for silent system, not sure what to get..

Hey guys,

I currently have a EK-DCP 4.0 pump combined with an EK X-RES, sitting on top of a Shoggy Sandwich and conected to an Aquacomputer Poweradjust 2 Ultra to regulate the voltage and shut it up. This has been working very well for me thus far, but the problem with this pump is that it can go above 2 amps depending on voltage settings, which means it eats up fan controllers. And this is what appears to have happened to me now. My Poweradjust 2 now refuses to regulate the pump down to 7V for more than 5 minutes, after that it will just start pumping the full 12V through it and I have to manually reset it to get another 5 minutes of silence. Super-annoying. 

I'm thinking about just getting a new pump and reservoir and calling it a day. The Poweradjust 2 is the only fan controller on the market that fits my case and can handle the DCP 4.0, but it is also expensive and apparently isn't capable of doing the job over a longer period of time (it broke down after 3 months now). 

I'm completely unsure what kind of pump to get, though. My rig is almost completely silent, I have all noiseblocker fans that make no audible noise and my only mechanical hard drive is sitting in a dampened enclosure. The pump is the only thing that makes any noise and frankly, I'm easily annoyed by noise, especially the grinding-buzzing noise the DCP 4.0 makes at 12V. I'm thinking of getting either an EK reservoir combo with a D5 Vario or with a DDC, but I keep reading that both of these pumps do make considerable noise. Then again, others say that their D5s/DDCs are completely silent. 

I need the most silent pump I can possibly get that still has enough head pressure to get through 3 radiators and 2 blocks. 

Can anyone recommend a pump?

My swiftech MCP655 is completely silent. It's just a Laing D5. The variable speed is nice to have and it can run my set up easily on the lowest speed. It also comes with some nice Velcro mounting. Also, did you bleed your loop thoroughly? The noise you're describing sounds like air going through the pump.

But over all the Laing D5 is extremely silent in my build. Love it to death.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Can anyone recommend a pump?

The Swiftech MCP655, is the best D5 out there IMO. Any pump makes some noise but the D5's definitely runs cooler and quieter than the DDC. The D5 is pretty much inaudible on the lower settings. Get a D5 res/pump top combo from EK, screw in this baby http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17549/ex-pmp-214/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM-DRIVE_12v_Water_Pump_Module_-_PWM_Enabled_Single_Version.html and you're golden. 

This one if you want to physically change the speed on the pump http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html#blank .

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

The Swiftech MCP655, is the best D5 out there IMO. Any pump makes some noise but the D5's definitely runs cooler and quieter than the DDC. The D5 is pretty much inaudible on the lower settings. Get a D5 res/pump top combo from EK, screw in this baby http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17549/ex-pmp-214/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM-DRIVE_12v_Water_Pump_Module_-_PWM_Enabled_Single_Version.html and you're golden. 

This one if you want to physically change the speed on the pump http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html#blank .

sounds good, I'll probably give that a try. But damn, why do pumps need to be so expensive... :angry:

sounds good, I'll probably give that a try. But damn, why do pumps need to be so expensive... :angry:

Yeah they're expensive. The prices for custom loops in general are not for the faint of heart/wallet. :P

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Seconded.  D5 Vario running on anything less than 2.5ish is practically inaudible.  I run mine on the lowest speed.  DDC's can be quiet too, but the high pitched noise it makes is annoying if that makes sense... Almost like the whine of a NF-F12 at high speed...