Virtual Reality technology - one step closer to playing Mirror's Edge using a VR headset

heynando

So it's been a while since a bunch of weird hardware related to movement whilst using a VR-headset started to come out and show what they have got. You are about to see one more.

This is just the start of the race and we already have Virtuix Omni, the motion floor from Univision, the Cyberith Virtualizer, the Cyberwalk from Max Planck Institute and a bunch of others, and again, this is just the start.

They all have their exceptions and limitations, but i think the one you are about to see is the best of them all so far. But why is it the best, you ask me. Well, let's watch the video first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPs7knvs7M

So the major breakthrough presented in this video, is that they can make the person feel like they are going in a straight line, but they are actually turning, which means they will never hit the space's physical limit. And the secret is that it is being done by software, there's no relationship between the user and the hardware like in the other solutions. This is simply marvelous for a numerous amount of reason, it is a big step. Gamers as whole needed this to be achieved, and there it is, it is all about time for it to actually reach the consumer-market now, and at the least we are one more step closer to the holy-grail of virtual reality. I would like to point out that the cameras used is this specific set are outrageously expensive costing 20 grand each, but it's not really that much big of a problem since they can be replaced by some lower-cost hardware that can perform the same tasks like for instance the Kinect 2, so that this solution could get adapted more easily.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPs7knvs7M

very cool  ^_^ 

(if they need a constant 60 fps all the time, i wonder if they can add Mantle to that)  :ph34r: