Windows 8/8.1 Font Smoothing is Abysmal

It's pretty sad how Microsoft's latest and greatest does not have the latest and greatest font smoothing tech. This has been a problem since Windows 8 first launched, and quite a lot complained about how jagged and blurry text looks. They promised to change it for Windows 8.1, but it still looks like horrendous.

I never liked Apple products, but OS X's font smoothing tech was really top notch. It looked great on screen. Ubuntu's font smoothing is also really nice.

There used to be apps that helped font smoothing on Windows XP/Vista/7 like MacType and GDI++, but those programs are no longer in development and do not function properly in Windows 8.

Anyone else feel bad about how text is rendered in Windows 8?

So I'm guessing I'm the only one unhappy with how fonts are rendered in W8/8.1? :huh:

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

Font rendering system (ClearType) in Windows 8 is identical to Windows 7 one.

There was and is no complain about it.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. If we are, you should change your crappy monitor, cause text isn't blurry as you say. If not, then please elaborate, so that we can help you.

Wow. It's not a problem to point out that you are not having any issues with the font smoothing, but to call out that someone has a crappy monitor or whatnot is a little too much. Can you be a little bit more civilized? I mean, if that's ok with you and if you can actually achieve a civilized and respectful state, that is.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

I am sorry, but your post sounded more of a bashing Windows for the sake of bashing with unfounded claim, no details, no info. Not even a screen shot to show what you are talking about. Might as well do a post going "Windows 8 sucks." and end there.

And it doesn't help that especially that, the rendering engine on the desktop environment is identical to Windows 7 one.

Hence, my attitude on your post. I would love to help you, agree with you or not, and build a discussion, but you have to provide details, beside "it sucks".

ClearType can be disabled if you use a crappy or very old CRT monitor that isn't sharp anymore, as it will offset by adding anti-aliasing to the font, and also you customize ClearType if you use a monitor that is that a low resolution for it's size or simply preference.

Ubuntu (well, really XWindows) font rendering engine is the worst of all:

How it is under Linux based OS using XWindows

linux.png

How it would look like if was rendered under Windows 7/8

windows.png

As you see, the first one the text is so blurry that they had to make the text larger and thicker to make up for it.

The result is that the text is harder to read, and tiring to the eye after extended use.

It is a problem already acknowledge by some Linux community members. however the fix isn't easy, as font rendering is rather a complex and very time consuming thing to work on.