Tesla's next new car will be called the Model III

Dietrichw

Source

165087f4f34548b986df8c45e7a85e8b.jpeg

Tesla hasn't quite delivered its new Model X SUV yet, but at least we have a name for its first electric vehicle pointed at the mainstream. In an interview with AutoExpress, CEO Elon Musk revealed it will be called the Model III / Model 3, after Ford put the kibosh on calling it the Model E. Musk has repeatedly targeted 2017 as the release window for a smaller $35,000 vehicle. He's said it will be the third generation after the original Roadster and Model S, and in the interview claims it will have a range of over 200 miles per charge, probably using batteries built in Tesla's planned Gigafactory.

tesla-model-e-rear_0.jpg?itok=YPsBKD4a

I see what you did there. Hopefully Ford doesn't get too mad and claim the similarity of the names are confusing for customers 

what u mean? you're supposed to say "Model triple-'I' "

XDDD

on topic: since its smaller, they should make a ridiculously powerful version of this. maybe a Model III-R ? better suspension, more HP, new breakthrough battery technology to make it last just as long, and a price tag of $80-120K. Make sure it competes with C-63 AMG from Merc, BMW M3, or if they really feeling awesome: M5, etc.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"200 miles per charge". So if I wanted to go to my closest Microcenter and back on a full charge, I'd have to charge once.

Don't see the hang up with the name, its freaking 2014 and people are still using old names FFS just use any stupid name, as long as I can remove the name plate off the car I could care less (I usually remove all branding off my car anyway, less weight, less aero drag no matter how miniscule, better mileage of what ever fuel).

Should call it the Tesla Dominator or Tesla Look Who's Pwning (LWP) :P Tesla Gas Killer. Who cares I'm still taking that Logo and name plate off.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Don't care about the name.

Cheaper...make it cheaper!

watch, they will make a cheaper one made of cardboard

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Don't go Full Re.....

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Don't go Full Re.....

im only at 67% calm down

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So $35k in US and $70k in Aus lol

Battery technology and solar need to get a lot better before I consider an electric car.

Cardboard? ... CARDBOARD?!

peacewalker081709.jpg

It'd be kind of cool and really impractical, but it's CARDBOARD! Fun for kids and adults!

cardboard_car_2.jpg

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Don't see the hang up with the name, its freaking 2014 and people are still using old names FFS just use any stupid name, as long as I can remove the name plate off the car I could care less (I usually remove all branding off my car anyway, less weight, less aero drag no matter how miniscule, better mileage of what ever fuel).

Should call it the Tesla Dominator or Tesla Look Who's Pwning (LWP) :P Tesla Gas Killer. Who cares I'm still taking that Logo and name plate off.

Ford sued them because they are planning to release a Model E.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

im only at 67% calm down

67% over full ;)

also touche Tesla, for making it even more similar to the T but rubbing it into fords nose now xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

So much different from the last car it's unbelievable

Because you can easily spot the difference between an Audi A4,A5,A6 and A8 from a distance.

They should call it the Mark III, du'h.

Maybe Lincoln had it patented because they had up to the mark viii.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

They should have just called it a Model Ti.

But then Nvidia would sue for confusing customers AMIRITE?

So much different from the last car it's unbelievable

Its not supposed to be different thats the whole point. Its for people who want a model s but cant afford it

They should have just called it a Model Ti.

But then Nvidia would sue for confusing customers AMIRITE?

ask for a 750Ti for Christmas and Grandma gets you a Tesla Model Ti instead #worstchristmasever

Unless charging speeds are really improved and Tesla's stations show up everywhere by then, the range that electric cars have is still too much of a limiting factor (even at $35k.)

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

Unless charging speeds are really improved and Tesla's stations show up everywhere by then, the range that electric cars have is still too much of a limiting factor (even at $35k.)

How many miles a day are you expecting to drive? I live less than 10 miles from my work, and put on around 100-150 miles a week so I'm filling my current car's tank about every 2 weeks for about $50.  This Model III (3?) should get me 2 weeks for a fraction of that with my current cost of electricity.  This car would save me in the ballpark of $1100 a year compared to my current gas powered "econo" car, not to mention the tax write-off.   I'm assuming there's going to be a ton of other people that are looking for a $30-40K car that fits the bill the same as me.

Also, charging time isn't that long anyways.  With the dual charger, you can fully charge these cars in less than 4 hours.  I sleep at least 6 hours a night making it really easy to just get home, plug it in, and it'll be ready in the morning.  Sure you're not going to be able to take a road trip with them just yet, but for a daily driver they are perfect.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

They should call it the Mark III, du'h.

And for the second gen Model S, the name should be S2. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Until this electric cars come in cheaper mass produced basic models the market won't change, they need to bring this cars at friendly consumer prices.

This is great news for people wanting a sporty electric vehicle at a decent price.  It's funny how some people get electric vehicles to be eco-friendly, but in reality they forget about where some of the power comes from, like coal power-plants.  But that's what nuclear energy is for!  :)

265 miles of range seems sufficient enough to me.  More or less depending on your driving style.

Public charging stations not set up by Tesla charge at 20 miles per hour of charge, your 240 volt mobile connector charges at 29 miles per hour of charge. Superchargers give 170 miles of range per charge and are appearing all over the place. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^