If a RAID 1 brakes is there data loss?

Hi! My dad at the moment has 2 1TB HDD's that hold different data and considers that "backup". I want to take the drives and put them into a RAID 1 to keep the data safe but I was wondering if lets say someone resets to defaults in the motherboard bios will all data on the drives be lost?

Thanks!

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Raid 1 creates 2 identical HDDs- one drive can fail, and its all good, u still got that other drive

Raid 0 puts half the file on each drive- if one drive fails, your screwed. even if you have like 8 128gb SSDs (like linus) if one of then fails, then all the data is corrupt

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Hi! My dad at the moment has 2 1TB HDD's that hold different data and considers that "backup". I want to take the drives and put them into a RAID 1 to keep the data safe but I was wondering if lets say someone resets to defaults in the motherboard bios will all data on the drives be lost?

Thanks!

No, RAID 1 maintains identical copies of all the files on each drive. http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

if lets say someone resets to defaults in the motherboard bios will all data on the drives be lost?

the data about the raid array is stored on a diferent chip so you could reset it or update the bios or set it to ide and then back to raid and your array would still be fine 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Thanks!

Your title differs from your question, In a functioning array, if one disk fails there is still an identical copy on the second. The only time there will be data loss is if the both drives fail. However, if resetting to defaults deletes a configured array from the Bios (I honestly am not sure if it does) then the entire data will be lost unless you get your settings close to identical to they were prior to the rest. There is a chance that an array can fail and not boot back though.  

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

first off: breaks. For theory if a RAID1 beaks you have full redundancy so your data should be recoverable for 95% (95% because you might lose 1 or 2 files since unrecoverable error rate still exists)

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

first off: breaks. For theory if a RAID1 beaks you have full redundancy so your data should be recoverable for 95% (95% because you might lose 1 or 2 files since unrecoverable error rate still exists)

Your title differs from your question, In a functioning array, if one disk fails there is still an identical copy on the second. The only time there will be data loss is if the both drives fail. However, if resetting to defaults deletes a configured array from the Bios (I honestly am not sure if it does) then the entire data will be lost unless you get your settings close to identical to they were prior to the rest. There is a chance that an array can fail and not boot back though.  

the data about the raid array is stored on a diferent chip so you could reset it or update the bios or set it to ide and then back to raid and your array would still be fine 

No, RAID 1 maintains identical copies of all the files on each drive. http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

I'm not talking about the RAID if a drive fails I mean if lets say the bios breaks the RAID and both disks are still fine would the data still be usable or would it be lost? Cause with a RAID 0 I broke the RAID once threw the bios accidentally and even when I put them back in RAID I could not get the data back. didn't know if that was with RAID 1 too.

Thanks!

Well if it brakes it will lose speed 

oor you meant breaks .. dat title fail

Well if it brakes it will lose speed 

oor you meant breaks .. dat title fail

lol yeah kinda messed that up

lol yeah kinda messed that up

Since the data is just written on both drives so it doesn't matter if you reset the bios

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

The data should still be recoverable in case of a hardware failure

My builds:

I'm not talking about the RAID if a drive fails I mean if lets say the bios breaks the RAID and both disks are still fine would the data still be usable or would it be lost? Cause with a RAID 0 I broke the RAID once threw the bios accidentally and even when I put them back in RAID I could not get the data back. didn't know if that was with RAID 1 too.

Why are you so obsessed with the BIOS going wrong?

The drives are waaaaaaaaaaay more likely to fail than the BIOS

AFAIK if the bios failed/change/broke what have you 

then up to the point of the bios being broken, the data would be stored on both drives up to that point and would be recoverable

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why are you so obsessed with the BIOS going wrong?

The drives are waaaaaaaaaaay more likely to fail than the BIOS

Yeah but I have brothers who like to click things when they dont know what they mean. I told him to go into the bios to check temperature and he started screwing with the OC tab. I just really don't want to lose the data for any reason.

Yeah but I have brothers who like to click things when they dont know what they mean. I told him to go into the bios to check temperature and he started screwing with the OC tab. I just really don't want to lose the data for any reason.

Then don't let stupid people into important things. Put a password on it.

Then don't let stupid people into important things. Put a password on it.

honestly its not just them, I've reset my bios to default when I had a RAID 0 and forgot to put it back in RAID and lost all my data. Just trying to make sure nothing bad happens

honestly its not just them, I've reset my bios to default when I had a RAID 0 and forgot to put it back in RAID and lost all my data. Just trying to make sure nothing bad happens

weird... i was able to reset the whole bios, had to switch from AHCI to RAID mode in the bios afterwards, then went to the RAID BIOS utility back then and was able to join them into a raid again. Worked flawlessly. I even switched out the MoBo at some point of time and was able to continue using it. I even was able to get one drive out (while the Computer was running) and plugged it into a MAC (!!!) and was able to read the data stored on the drive. Whatever you did, it went wrong massively.

My builds: