Ex-Nokia team makes rival smartphone Jolla

Jozi

I have been waiting for this so looong now.

A company made up of former Nokia employees has shown off Jolla, a new smartphone with a custom operating system known as Sailfish.

The software has been built from the remnants of MeeGo, a project abandoned by Nokia in 2011 in favour of adopting Windows Phone for its handsets.

1665527-max931x556.jpg

1665499-max931x556.jpg

I'm also happy to see some ex-nokia people that got fired doing great.

Here link to english news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22599877

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Looks nice though. Even as they do seem to take designs of the Lumia, it is really a nice template. I do hope its a cheaper alternative though!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

• 399€ (we target to ship by end of 2013 *)
  • Jolla original design with ample 4.5” Estrade display
  • Dual core and 4G**)
  • Keep it and share with 16GB + microSD
  • 8MP AF camera
  • User-replaceable battery
  • The Other Half
  • Gesture based Sailfish OS
  • Android™ app compliant

from the official website.

That looks really good, definitely shows how much passion they put into this product. Unfortunately without a good ecosystem it's as good as dead already unless they adopt android or at least WP :(.

Edit: At least it's supposed to be able to sideload android apps, but I doubt that will save it just like it won't save BB.

That looks really good, definitely shows how much passion they put into this product. Unfortunately without a good ecosystem it's as good as dead already unless they adopt android or at least WP :(.

They say it can accommodate android apps - so on that front it looks promising; obviously don't know to what extent the compatibility with Andriod will be, but still a progression nonetheless.

I was talking to Whaler about this, and the whole "interchangeable back affecting the software" of the phone seems a bit gimmicky if i'm completely honest. Will be interested to see how this turns out.

Here's some specs:
4,5" HD display
Dual core processor
4G (Supported countries will be defined closer to shipment date.)
16GB internal memory + microSD slot
8MP auto focus camera
User-replaceable battery
The other half (=removable back cover with software functionality as explained in the BBC article above.)
Sailfish OS, Android™ app compliant

Link for Jolla's site: https://jolla.com/

Link for Engadget eyes-on video where they mention that the display will be HD:

They say it can accommodate android apps - so on that front it looks promising; obviously don't know to what extent the compatibility with Andriod will be, but still a progression nonetheless.

I was talking to Whaler about this, and the whole "interchangeable back affecting the software" of the phone seems a bit gimmicky if i'm completely honest. Will be interested to see how this turns out.

I read it should be able to sideload android apps, just like BB and Tizen, since most people don't know how to sideload apps, I doubt they'd have much success with the niche of people who do, considering all the other options they have which are guaranteed to work more or less perfectly. Ecosystem is not just about apps though, for example Google services won't be able to integrate as well as they do on android phones. That's not to say I'm not curious about hearing more about this phone, though :).

If i understood what i read, it is "upgradable" which means you should be able to add modules that would add fonctionality to the phone or do other cool stuff. If it is indeed the case i think it could be nice to upgrade you phone by yourself. If it is actually useful. Why not? Its a new concept, cant say not to something that will move the industry in a good direction

Waiting for reviews, then deciding on wether its worth buying :D

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

This is going to be very limited on apps if most of the Android apps are not compatible with this OS. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Already preordered!

And everyone who is talking about android apps not compatible with the OS...get you're facts right. Android Apps are going to work on this exactly as they would on a normal Android device, since most Android Apps are Java based. And if not, look into the Linux world: It's very simple to compile a programm on another System. Most of the time you don't even have to change the Code. Also QT Apps are going to work, exactly as they are with MeeGo.

Apart from that: It's a phone for enthusiats, not for a basic and normal user, who just want's to use the phone. Hell, that thing is going to have a console interface!

Good news everyone...!

Since there's not much information about the Sailfish OS here, which is the best thing in this phone I think, I thought I could share some of the main points.

1. True multitasking. Meaning that you can for example check your messages or Linustechtips-forums while loading a youtube-video. In most other phones the youtube-video is stopped and you have to load it all over again when you want to continue waching.

2. Easy access to open applications as they are located in the main screen (which you can open by simply pulling from the right side of the screen.)

3. Easy to access notification screen which shows you not only missed calls and messages but also recent Facebook, Twitter, etc. activity.

I recommend to check some videos from youtube about Sailfish OS to see how it actually works.

its, its, its a YOLO phone.......

Well, "Jolla" in Norwegian means dingy, the type of shabby waterborn flotation device not seaworthy enough to be called a boat... It's like when Honda launched the "Fitta"... Not properly thought through haha

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Finns make the best stuff x)

Hope this comes to virgin movile, though it probably won't :(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Honestly all my life I owned nokia phones untill they started using windows as their OS, my last nokia phone was a N900 which is still a legend though software sopport prompted me to sell it, I hope jolia will get a good markect share so it can hav a lot of apps ootherwise its not a bad idea to give it a try

MeeGo lives on. Can't wait to put Jolla on my cyan N9.

Honestly all my life I owned nokia phones untill they started using windows as their OS, my last nokia phone was a N900 which is still a legend though software sopport prompted me to sell it, I hope jolia will get a good markect share so it can hav a lot of apps ootherwise its not a bad idea to give it a try

N900 = GOD TIER

Keep that phone till the day you die son

Well, "Jolla" in Norwegian means dingy, the type of shabby waterborn flotation device not seaworthy enough to be called a boat... It's like when Honda launched the "Fitta"... Not properly thought through haha

It's not a Norwegian word.....

EDIT: nvm it means the same thing in Finnish it seems

its, its, its a YOLO phone.......

Get out

This is going to be very limited on apps if most of the Android apps are not compatible with this OS. 

RTFA

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Strange, Jolla means exactly same in finnish. I guess we stole your word.

Strange, Jolla means exactly same in finnish. I guess we stole your word.

In actual Finnish? Or Fenno-Swedish. Norwegian and Swedish shares many words, but I don't know of many Finnish and Norwegian words that are common to eachother  :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The OS's design looks like the child of Windows Mobile (yes, Mobile, not Phone) and BlackBerry 10. It's not bad, it's just a tad odd. I like how it's very clean though.

The hardware looks a bit odd too to me too. Not a fan of how the 2 pieces sort of don't fit together nicely.

was looking to pre-order this, but then i watched the vid and there pronouncing the YOLO, so it can f**k rite off.