CANADA/USA - Online Retailer that sells Unlocked Windows Phone 8 Devices

dalekphalm

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good Online Retailer that sells unlocked Windows Phones?

Specifically one that sells and ships to Canada, and has competitive pricing. NCIX.com sells some unlocked phones, but their prices have always seemed rather high.

I'm specifically looking for Nokia (1020 or 1520 I think) or perhaps The Samsung ATIV SE (Basically a Galaxy S4 with Windows Phone on it). Unless anyone has any other suggestions? I'm not interested in iOS or Android at this time (Though I'd LOVE an HTC One M8 with Windows Phone on it).

The phones must be the North American versions that work on the major Canadian Carriers LTE Networks(Bell, Rogers, Telus, and their respective subsidiaries), and it would be *nice* if they also ran on the Wind Mobile network (AWS, or UMTS Band IV, same as what T-Mobile uses).

Anyway, a site that sells them at a great price would be a good place for me to start!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

get the one m8 root it then make it look like windows 8 phone, or wipe the device and install the free copy of windows for phones on it

I appreciate your suggestions, but no thanks :)

First, I don't want a "Windows looking GUI" on Android. If I was going to use Android, I'd use Android. Second, installing Windows Phone on an Android Device is a risky proposition at best. Plus there would be little to no software support for ports/hardware incompatibilities/driver issues.

Please do not suggest anything Android or iOS, nor suggest rooting/cracking/modifying Android phones.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why not buy from the carrier you plan on using?
I find most places that sell unlocked devices charge a premium, because it's seen as a value add.

Have you thought of looking on eBay? There are usually quite a few on there.

Craigslist is another option. I've purchased quite a few off contract phones there, including my Nexus 5 which I just picked up for $280.

All new.

Lastly, the Microsoft store sells the 1020 for $549, if that's the one you want to go for.

Personally I'd wait for WP9, but each to their own.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Why not buy from the carrier you plan on using?

I find most places that sell unlocked devices charge a premium, because it's seen as a value add.

Have you thought of looking on eBay? There are usually quite a few on there.

Craigslist is another option. I've purchased quite a few off contract phones there, including my Nexus 5 which I just picked up for $280.

All new.

Lastly, the Microsoft store sells the 1020 for $549, if that's the one you want to go for.

Personally I'd wait for WP9, but each to their own.

Thanks for the info. I have no idea when WP9 is gonna be released, and I need a new phone now. I've been using a WP7 device for 3 years and it's just gotten too slow!

I would generally just get the device I want on-contract with my carrier, but basically all the major Canadian carriers have dropped high end WP8 devices from their lineup, EXCEPT Rogers, and I don't trust that company and don't want to give them my business.

I'll check out the MS Store. I was on there earlier but their selection for Canada is very limited. Fucking Canada. We always have to wait at least 6+ months for most of the good WP8 devices.

Why windows phone?

Also, going through a carrier is your best bet. You should be able to buy a device outright and get it unlocked. Windows phones aren't that popular and online retailers usually don't keep stock for such an unpopular platform that isn't guaranteed to sell, especially in Canada.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

It's nearly impossible to get Windows phones from our Carriers.  the only decent WP is the 1020 and it is only available through Rogers.  Check out Expansys: http://www.expansys.ca/

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

It's nearly impossible to get Windows phones from our Carriers.  the only decent WP is the 1020 and it is only available through Rogers.  Check out Expansys: http://www.expansys.ca/

Agreed, the market in Canada for WP is basically non-existent. Supposedly Telus removed their 1020 because it wasn't selling, but honestly, I think the biggest issue with WP adoption in Canada is the lack of marketing/advertising or proper training of sales associates.

I went to my local bell store and when I asked about their current WP lineup, she suggested a Nexus 4!!! She thought that was on WP! That's outright incompetence right there.

You're the second person to recommend Expansys. I've checked them out. Great selection. Some prices are good, some more expensive.They don't have the ATIV SE though, so I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia Icon (930 internationally), or the Lumia 1020 from rogers or unlocked direct from MS Store.

Why windows phone?

Also, going through a carrier is your best bet. You should be able to buy a device outright and get it unlocked. Windows phones aren't that popular and online retailers usually don't keep stock for such an unpopular platform that isn't guaranteed to sell, especially in Canada.

Why Windows Phone? Because it's a great OS. Much more customizable than iOS, and I love the UI. I personally dislike the iOS UI a lot. It's not as customizable as Android, but I have no need for that. Plus Android is so fragmented, and people (unjustly in my opinion) just blindly think that Android is the best thing of all time and no one can argue differently. Obviously not everyone is like that, but fanboys gonna be fanboys.

I have an Android tablet, and I currently use a WP7.5 device, and ever since trying WP7 I've fallen in love with it. I like it a lot more than my tablet experience.

Agreed, the market in Canada for WP is basically non-existent. Supposedly Telus removed their 1020 because it wasn't selling, but honestly, I think the biggest issue with WP adoption in Canada is the lack of marketing/advertising or proper training of sales associates.

I went to my local bell store and when I asked about their current WP lineup, she suggested a Nexus 4!!! She thought that was on WP! That's outright incompetence right there.

You're the second person to recommend Expansys. I've checked them out. Great selection. Some prices are good, some more expensive.They don't have the ATIV SE though, so I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia Icon (930 internationally), or the Lumia 1020 from rogers or unlocked direct from MS Store.

Why Windows Phone? Because it's a great OS. Much more customizable than iOS, and I love the UI. I personally dislike the iOS UI a lot. It's not as customizable as Android, but I have no need for that. Plus Android is so fragmented, and people (unjustly in my opinion) just blindly think that Android is the best thing of all time and no one can argue differently. Obviously not everyone is like that, but fanboys gonna be fanboys.

I have an Android tablet, and I currently use a WP7.5 device, and ever since trying WP7 I've fallen in love with it. I like it a lot more than my tablet experience.

Don't worry, it's not like I don't own a windows phone to mess around with (Samsung ATIV S). If you really need a WP in Canada you're probably best off taking a trip down to the US, but I can say that the Android tablet experience and phone experience is pretty different, expecially depending on the hardware, and for the sake of convenience it may be worth your while to give an android flagship another shot (you can try it for 14 days and return it to Telus,Bell,Rogers,etc. anyways). 

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Don't worry, it's not like I don't own a windows phone to mess around with (Samsung ATIV S). If you really need a WP in Canada you're probably best off taking a trip down to the US, but I can say that the Android tablet experience and phone experience is pretty different, expecially depending on the hardware, and for the sake of convenience it may be worth your while to give an android flagship another shot (you can try it for 14 days and return it to Telus,Bell,Rogers,etc. anyways). 

I definitely appreciate your comments, but I'm not switching to Android. It may be convenient to go down to any mall in town and get an HTC One or a Nexus 5, but I'm going to own this device for several years. Because of that, I'm going to get the OS and phone I want, and have a happier experience, rather then compromising and going Android just because "it was easy".