[SouthParkStudios/Ars Technica] South Park is Moving to Hulu Service, No More Unlimited Streaming

EChondo

Yes it is because Netflix can do it: What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

So your solution is that every streaming company should just copy Netflix? Never going to happen as it's not a sustainable business model. You can't run a successful business by entering the market and just trying to copy the other guy. Not only that, but Netflix has lost it's contracts with different content providers specifically because they refuse to be flexible in their business model. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

-snip-

You aren't forced to pirate anything. You have two choices: import it, or don't watch it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So your solution is that every streaming company should just copy Netflix? Never going to happen as it's not a sustainable business model. You can't run a successful business by entering the market and just trying to copy the other guy. Not only that, but Netflix has lost it's contracts with different content providers specifically because they refuse to be flexible in their business model. 

There's a couple of things you're getting wrong here:

1) What Netflix is doing internationally is far from perfect. In fact as an international Netflix customer I can tell you it's flatout crappy. They are relying on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding VPNs which is what makes the service even usable.

2) If you take 1) Into consideration you wouldn't have to copy Netflix model directly, in fact you'd benefit by not doing so and offer and advantage.

3) You're sort of ignoring the fact that Hulu has no strategy at all for international customers. So in those circumstances? Yes, copying someone else by penetrating deeper and faster into untouched market actually would give you an advantage: Just ask Samsung mobile for more on that.

4) Even if all of the above was too much for Hulu, it is conceivable that they could keep their exact same model only taking it abroad since international licensing IS possible and their advertisement model? Well just let Google handle that angle since they've got plenty of partners virtually everywhere in the globe with targeted advertisement. 

Again I just don't understand how can you possibly defend Hulu's decision to ignore the international market. That's just bad business for them mainlyYes the regional bullshit gets worst internationally mainly because local cable companies want an exclusive bite at the apple but if you're a digital VOD company you're sort of already going against the stream and face pretty heavy opposition and resistance to change from many different parties that just don't want the traditional delivery methods to die even if the public is deciding to change already, so you're pretty much fighting studios AND ISPs all the way but you're telling me that leaving tons of revenue from international customers it's ok because "its too difficult?" 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually I don't mind the controversy: I just think it's the ONLY thing that it has going for it and only some of the times and while it was still new during the first couple of years or so. I just think it's not actually funny at all save very few occasions. And I'm not particularly mad or anything that's just the way I fucking talk most of the time.  

Fair enough! lol

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Looks like I  won't be watching southpark anymore. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Hulu has lost a lot of shows as well or shows I watched. Ad Block works sort of I turn it on and back off and at times it thinks its off and I just watch 30 to 60 seconds of black screen which is more than fine by me. Gone are the good days where you'd say you'd watch a super long commercial to view the show commercial free and set it to mute and go do something else, if you got back and the show started you could rewind to the start of the show.

Hulu, pushing users to pirating how you troll the content providers.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Ads that people can block and that don't bring in real revenue.

The average person going to watch south park won't be using adblock. The people hit hardest by it are people like Linus who cater to a more tech savvy audience. They would lose a small amount of revenue because of adblock users, but not as much as you might think. And definitely not as much as someone like Linus, or Logan.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I mean, the basic fact is that people are now going to pirate South Park. And they won't stop at the old episodes once they start, they'll pirate all the new ones too.

Way to go Matt & Tray, you just signed a deal with UPlay in video form

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO