MacBook Pro buy now or wait?

DJ H2 Mk2
Go to solution Solved by Victorious Secret,

I would've suggested getting the last 17" MBP they made. 

Why? Cause this thing is still a verifiable tank. I upgraded to 16GB of RAM a while back, more recently I threw in two SSDs (not in RAID, not that needed in a laptop. One OS, one for Bootcamp/crap storage). The Quad Core in this still flies for most tasks and the 6770m hasn't really made me cry too much when I have to edit on the go. 

For gaming? Macs are NOT the best value. But for you? since you have a very specific need. I know many a DJ who ended up having Macs whether due to existing ease of use or the software, so its a pretty valid reason to use one. I think if you don't need the latest and greatest however, a current Retinabook would be just fine, even the non-Retina 15" on refurb is still a good purchase. 

You might as well wait till September/October since the entire line is due for a refresh, then make your decision from there. 

And to people who feel a perverse need to turn every thread into "I'll give you 10 reasons why that Mac is overpriced and 10 laptops from other OEMs that are better". Just don't. Goons like you are why threads go downhill and lose relevance. Keep that shit to off topic or on threads that actually discuss it. OP clearly wants a Mac, leave him be. There is no need to crap on the thread with holier than thou asshattery on why a Mac is pointless. We got that the first couple hundred threads that were made about it.

Do we really need to derail any and every thread? The horse isn't even dead. It already got burned up and was used to make glue, you're still standing the same spot where it died beating a pile of dirt and horseshit thinking you're being clever. 

I will be djing out and about for school dances stuff like that and I need a laptop for that use as I can't really haul a monitor with me to gigs with all my gear

I know... Builder thought I was talking about the desktop mac, then he made an argument about the desktop mac, then I told you about the macbook, but you thought I was talking about the mac desktop..... much facepalm and confusion...

But he isn't gaming...and the Razer Blade not only costs more, it has worse battery, is louder, and has a worse screen.

Where did you get these points from? And I said for gaming on a mac desktop pro vs custom built. In your words MAC DESKTOP not macbook.

I know... Builder thought I was talking about the desktop mac, then he made an argument about the desktop mac, then I told you about the macbook, but you thought I was talking about the mac desktop..... much facepalm and confusion...

Where did you get these points from? And I said for gaming on a mac desktop pro vs custom built. In your words MAC DESKTOP not macbook.

The argument was for the laptop.

The screen has worse viewing angles, scales poorly with a lot of texts, and the fans run constantly on it. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The screen has worse viewing angles, scales poorly with a lot of texts, and the fans run constantly on it. 

Wait didn't you have a purple badge?

Interested in Business and Technology

Wait didn't you have a purple badge?

What?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I need to buy a MacBook Pro in September (Yes it has to be running OSX) with 8 gb of ram and 256 gb of storage. Would it be worth waiting for the new broad well models or just buy one now? I need this to last ~5 years

If you don't need it this very second, it wouldn't hurt to wait. I have a early 2011 15inch and it's still running strong. If you can afford it, and it's an option, I would get the 16Gb of ram. The ram can not be upgraded so for some it's smart to upgrade.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Screen has good viewing angles, scales are due to higher resolution which can be lowered to the same resolution mac has and have fine scaling, I have not heard any complaints about the fan noise so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You said mac pro btw, so your argument should be talking about the desktop version then or you are being a hypocrite by saying mac pro instead of macbook pro... I am done talking to you.

Well, that escalated quickly

I recall linus words during a wan show

To be kind to everyone on the forum

I appreciate the help though

Screen has good viewing angles, scales are due to higher resolution which can be lowered to the same resolution mac has and have fine scaling, I have not heard any complaints about the fan noise so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You said mac pro btw, so your argument should be talking about the desktop version then or you are being a hypocrite by saying mac pro instead of macbook pro... I am done talking to you.

Wouldn't lowering the resolution defeat the purpose? The Mac is nearly silent, and the Blade's fans run constantly, so the Blade is louder. Loudness is relative.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wouldn't lowering the resolution defeat the purpose? The Mac is nearly silent, and the Blade's fans run constantly, so the Blade is louder. Loudness is relative.

I also need to run OSX

It does completely blow the Macbook Pro out of the water in terms of specs, and the OP does need his laptop to last for around 5 years. Macbook Pros are too underpowered to last that long (and be bearable to use after a few years).

OP. I'm not sure if it'll work but you may want to consider looking into dual booting Hackintosh.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

What?

Nevermind 

Interested in Business and Technology

I would wait personally if it's not urgent now. Usually a few weeks before school everyone has back to school deals on Mac's and other machines

It does completely blow the Macbook Pro out of the water in terms of specs, and the OP does need his laptop to last for around 5 years. Macbook Pros are too underpowered to last that long (and be bearable to use after a few years).

Specs are identical except for the GPU.

MacBook Pros last forever. This one is eight years old and still kicking.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Nice!

The Macbook Pro uses integrated graphics  :lol:

OP, whatever laptop you decide to go with, you should try to get an SSD for it. Stuff like booting up and opening programs can get really slow after a while.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

The Macbook Pro uses integrated graphics  :lol:

OP, whatever laptop you decide to go with, you should try to get an SSD for it. Stuff like booting up and opening programs can get really slow after a while.

The one that's comparable to the Blade 14 has a GT750M in it, and 128GB more SSD storage.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The Macbook Pro uses integrated graphics :lol:

The new rMBP have pcie based ssds equivalent to a 4x based plextor ssd with ~ 1 gigaBYTE read and write

The one that's comparable to the Blade 14 has a GT750M in it, and 128GB more SSD storage.

The Blade 14 has a GTX 870M and an i7. You can choose how big of an SSD you want on both laptops.

The Blade 14 has a GTX 870M and an i7. You can choose how big of an SSD you want on both laptops.

The 15" MacBook Pro has a better processor and more flash storage for less price. It's battery life, CPU and storage vs graphics.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Bit of an off topic question but why does linus hate MacBooks? He doesn't just not like them he hates them as demonstrated in some commercials he's made as well as the razer blade 14 review

Might be worth mentioning the Macbook Pro trackpad limits you in some situations, you can't left and right click at the same time, and right click dragging doesn't quite work. OS X isn't compatible with a lot of programs too.

Might be worth mentioning the Mac trackpad limits you in some situations, you can't left and right click at the same time, and right click dragging doesn't quite work. OS X isn't compatible with a lot of programs too.

I checked and my corsair m65 will work with OSX

I get the best of both worlds

I checked and my corsair m65 will work with OSX

I get the best of both worlds

If you don't plan to game go ahead and get the Macbook Pro, it should suit your purposes nicely.

Guys, if he wants a MacBook Pro and has reasonable reason (iOS development even though you CAN develop on Windows), don't start bitching and going all #applesucks #fuckapple #windowspcforlife and shit, it's annoying. OP, don't bother for now and wait it out for Broadwell.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I would've suggested getting the last 17" MBP they made. 

Why? Cause this thing is still a verifiable tank. I upgraded to 16GB of RAM a while back, more recently I threw in two SSDs (not in RAID, not that needed in a laptop. One OS, one for Bootcamp/crap storage). The Quad Core in this still flies for most tasks and the 6770m hasn't really made me cry too much when I have to edit on the go. 

For gaming? Macs are NOT the best value. But for you? since you have a very specific need. I know many a DJ who ended up having Macs whether due to existing ease of use or the software, so its a pretty valid reason to use one. I think if you don't need the latest and greatest however, a current Retinabook would be just fine, even the non-Retina 15" on refurb is still a good purchase. 

You might as well wait till September/October since the entire line is due for a refresh, then make your decision from there. 

And to people who feel a perverse need to turn every thread into "I'll give you 10 reasons why that Mac is overpriced and 10 laptops from other OEMs that are better". Just don't. Goons like you are why threads go downhill and lose relevance. Keep that shit to off topic or on threads that actually discuss it. OP clearly wants a Mac, leave him be. There is no need to crap on the thread with holier than thou asshattery on why a Mac is pointless. We got that the first couple hundred threads that were made about it.

Do we really need to derail any and every thread? The horse isn't even dead. It already got burned up and was used to make glue, you're still standing the same spot where it died beating a pile of dirt and horseshit thinking you're being clever.