Think 300 PPI is enough? Ostendo doesn't think so. 3D Holographic displays incoming.

ijKs Snow

First Ostendo's website.

http://ostendo.com/

Washington Post's media coverage of Ostendo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2014/06/16/forget-touchscreens-3d-holographic-displays-are-coming

The Wall Street journal article is better, but you need an account to read the articles there.

In our tech world, we have always been split into two sides. One side saying 1080p mobile screens are enough. Other side saying "we have to push technology further".

Well the people at Ostendo is doing exactly that.

On a 2D touch screen, PPI count has been a big debate point. Why push it further when our eyes can't tell the difference? Well, Ostendo says that in order to create 3D holograms, PPI has to reach 5000. Yes, you read it right. 5,000 PPI displays are required to project 3D holographic images.

California-based Ostendo Technology has already given a LIVE demo of a 3D dice suspended in mid air. Image is shown below.

yah-Single-3D-Hologram-Die.jpg

(Ostendo) Source

So how exactly does this technology work?

Well the simplified version is that LEDs currently found in our displays are just not powerful enough to project light beams. Instead, (quote) "For many years, it was about stacking silicon wafers to improve performance, no one has really thought to do it to emit light for mobile devices. Partially, because solid-state materials (LED) don't coalesce with it very well."

The chipset (currently in development at Ostendo), is able to produce beams of lights across millions of pixels. Color, brightness, and angle of the light beam is all controlled on the software side. The chipset they are currently developing are small enough to place inside wearable tech like Smart Watches, Eye glasses, Windows, Phones, etc.

Imagine being able to project 3D images from your smart watch. Now imagine if these chipsets can be embedded into walls. Imagine when heptic touch technology becomes mature. The uses for this is endless.

Ostendo says that these chipsets will be READY for the consumer market by 2016.

Hologram demo by Ostendo

I don't see this being very necessary for the time and cost that is going to be put into it.

If you love what you do, it's not work.

I don't see this being very necessary for the time and cost that is going to be put into it.

The people funding it actually think it's going to have a huge economic impact like LCDs did when it first came out. Peter Thiel co-founder of paypal donated like almost $100 million. Kochva is another big funder. etc.

Me personally, I think if they market it right, it can create a multi billion dollar industry.

I'm a little stumped. What has pixel density got to do with holographic technology? The only thing I can think of is that the density is needed to be able to produce a clear and good hologram.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I'm a little stumped. What has pixel density got to do with holographic technology? The only thing I can think of is that the density is needed to be able to produce a clear and good hologram.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact the image is 3D and not 2D. Shrug.

wait when did people think that 300ppi was enough?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Hmmmm. Interesting, I'm very interested in seeing the first model or example or whatever

Project Restomod (In progress)