Unable to bring uncharged Gadgets to airplanes?

Wasaa12

British travellers have joined US citizens in having to prove the gadgets in their hand luggage are charged up -- or risk not having them allowed on flights.

Under new measures, the UK's Department for Transport says that "in line with the US advice," passengers flying in and out of the UK may be asked to show that "electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft."

"Passengers flying into or out of the UK are therefore advised to make sure electronic devices being carried in their hand luggage are charged before they travel," the Department said.

On Sunday the US Transportation Security Administration said that its enhanced security procedures would include a ban on uncharged mobile phones and other devices on flights travelling to the US.

"For obvious reasons," Patrick McLoughlin, the UK's Secretary of State for Transport said in a statement, "We will not be commenting in detail on the measures or the routes affected."

"What I would ask of any member of the public is to cooperate with the security people at the airports to enable us to ensure this happens effectively and efficiently," McLoughlin told the Telegraph in a filmed interview.

UK airline British Airways this week said it wouldn't let passengers who were carrying uncharged devices board an aircraft at all, but later reversed its position, offering passengers the option of leaving their gadgets at the airport, having them forwarded on via post or being rebooked onto a later flight.

"We are complying with the new UK and US regulations and would advise customers to arrive in good time for their flights both at check-in and also at the boarding gate," the airline said.

CNET contacted the Department for Transport and was told that the new measures are in effect, and that the Department had nothing to add to its official statement.

http://www.cnet.com/news/uk-joins-us-in-banning-uncharged-gadgets-from-some-flights/

This is bs. Another inconvenience. Whoever wants to do damage will do damage. Laptop can simply have a dummy battery with cheap soc inside to look like it is genuine laptop booting into light Linux distro. Problem solved. Who wants to do damage will do damage. Why the rest have to pay the price?

what's wrong with just xraying them? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what's wrong with just xraying them? 

I guess x-rays dont have an acceptable sensitivity or specificity for all types of explosives..Adding one extra obstacle makes it that much harder to come up with something that can defeat conventional x-ray machines. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

edsdrafts hit the nail there. There are a lot of ways to bypass this new ridiculous rule, on notebooks, phones, tablets and similar devices easily, this only affects innocent people.

edsdrafts hit the nail there. There are a lot of ways to bypass this new ridiculous rule, on notebooks, phones, tablets and similar devices easily, this only affects innocent people.

And now when nobody tries to sneak onto a plane with a bomb in their laptop, "See folks! It was a preventative measure!!!"

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I guess x-rays dont have an acceptable sensitivity or specificity for all types of explosives..Adding one extra obstacle makes it that much harder to come up with something that can defeat conventional x-ray machines. 

Plus X-rays have safety regulations limiting their usage, as ionizing radiation isn't exactly healthy at large amounts... Even if it is just X-rays. Like imagine if everyone trying to board a plane needed to be X-rayed, and when there's frequent travellers that would need to be also X-rayed frequently.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Plus X-rays have safety regulations limiting their usage, as ionizing radiation isn't exactly healthy at large amounts... Even if it is just X-rays. Like imagine if everyone trying to board a plane needed to be X-rayed, and when there's frequent travellers that would need to be also X-rayed frequently.

What? They X-ray stuff, not people. (people get scanned by millimeter wave scanners which use radio waves)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I would say that this is very inconvenient as mentioned before.

I brought what, five electronics with me last month when I flew. Two iPods, my phone, 3DS and my camera. You're saying that if any of those stuff wouldn't be able to turn on (one of the iPods is 9+ years old, having harddrive issues), that I wouldn't be able to bring it with me?

BS.

How is this new? I remember way back in late 2001 and early 2002 (after the 9/11 attacks), being asked to "power on" my devices when going through security.

They always powered on, not sure what they would have done had they not powered on, though. 

Is the "new" the fact that the UK is doing this now as well?

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

Hardly a big deal, just make sure your device is charged if you want to carry it in your hand luggage.

They're obviously responding to intelligence about a potential threat. Sure it's a slight inconvenience, but what else can they do? Just ignore it and blindly hope another 9/11 doesn't happen?