GTX 770 2gb SLI worth - or should I wait for 800 series

Hey!

I'm wondering if it's worth due to the debate about high vram usage of new and future games to upgrade from a single gtx 770 2gb to sli or if it's better to wait for the 800 series and buy one of those cards and later on upgrade to sli.
I'm currently playing on a 1080p 144 benQ monitor.

I've sen different charts and benchmarks of different games like Metro Last Light, crysis 3, watch dogs etc. which states that the fps on cards in the same price range as gtx 770 like the 280x doesn't benefit from that 1gb more vram (in other words more than 2gb vram shouldn't be required since it's not dropping fps). Although I've seen enormous amount of people stating that 2gb of vram isn't enough for 1080p in current and near future games.

So my question is will that 2gb of vram bottleneck a gtx 770 sli? Is it even worth upgrading to a sli? How cost effective is it if I already have one gtx 770? What would you guys recommend?

My build:

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4,7 mhz (h100i)

Ram: 16 gb of corsair vengence Lp @ 1600 mhz

Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 770 2 gb

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero vii 

Psu: corsair rm 1000W 

wait for the GTX880 bro

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

wait for the GTX880 bro

boop

I have a 770 atm myself and i'm doing that

Diamond 5 in League :)

The problem is, how much will they cost and when will they come out... I mean I'm betting earlie 2015, and will games really use 2gb of vram in 1080? I have my doubts :P

The problem is, how much will they cost and when will they come out... I mean I'm betting earlie 2015, and will games really use 2gb of vram in 1080? I have my doubts :P

Watchdogs+bf4 use nearly 2gb of vram

And the 880 will cost less than a 780 and a 780ti. I read this on a news article on here

should 3GB be the minimum amount of VRAM in cards moving forward anyway???

Looking for a job

And the 880 will cost less than a 780 and a 780ti. I read this on a news article on here

People are talking about 2,5-2,7 gb vram erm.. I'm not really sure about that. Watchdogs is just a porly coded game imo thats why - although will the future games all be vram eaters becuz of the new consols? I really hope they wont

yes from the looks of it and 4GB is the suggested amount

People are talking about 2,5-2,7 gb vram erm.. I'm not really sure about that. Watchdogs is just a porly coded game imo thats why - although will the future games all be vram eaters becuz of the new consols? I really hope they wont

watchdogs or modded skyrim do eat a heck a lot of VRAM at 1440 Ultra

while the GTX780Ti is the best GPU for nVidia

the 3GB VRAM gets fill up very quickly and once it runs out

stutter will come in

we wont know how future games will be but we are more or less prepared that future games will need at least 3GB VRAM and above

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

880 will also be 4k ready, and even dual 780ti/290x's cant actually run 4k max. sooo, much less two 770's..., plus WAY more power useage and heat. especially since maxwell is super low wattage

The trend sure looks like that, although I mean there are alot of cards that dont even can use all that vram and I think that most probably will the horsepower of  cards be insufficient before the vram will atleast at 1080p.

880 will also be 4k ready, and even dual 780ti/290x's cant actually run 4k max. sooo, much less two 770's..., plus WAY more power useage and heat. especially since maxwell is super low wattage

yes from the looks of it and 4GB is the suggested amount

watchdogs or modded skyrim do eat a heck a lot of VRAM at 1440 Ultra

while the GTX780Ti is the best GPU for nVidia

the 3GB VRAM gets fill up very quickly and once it runs out

stutter will come in

we wont know how future games will be but we are more or less prepared that future games will need at least 3GB VRAM and above

Yeah I've heard that modded skyrim is sick... But I don't play at 1440 only at 1080, and I'm considering a 770 sli to benefit from the 144mhz monitor I have. 

Yeah I've heard that modded skyrim is sick... But I don't play at 1440 only at 1080, and I'm considering a 770 sli to benefit from the 144mhz monitor I have. 

One High end GPU>Two low-medium end gpu's

Keep dreaming that the 880 will cost sub $500...

Thief uses almost 3gb at 1080p all settings max... when I was shopping for a gpu everyone would say 2gb is all u need for 1080p. Well im glad I threw another 60 bucks at it and got the 4gb so now I can SLI in near future and have the vram to match the power for hopefully a few years, also if I didn't go SLI and wanted to max games and run at 30 fps I can do that without stutter from not having the memory, thats another thing I thought about when buying the card people would say the 770 wouldn't be powerfull enough by the time you would need more then 2gb well what if you don't care to play 3rd person game at 30fps...

880 isn't going to be faster than 2 780 ti or 290x's lol, it'll be lucky to be ~25% faster than one 780 ti

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089