How to check amount of usable ram on Windows 8.1?

mcmad358
Go to solution Solved by Gung Pow Chicken,

Under performance

Im running windwows 8.1 right now and want to know how much of my 8GB of ram is usable...

This is what i see currently..

Installed RAM: 8GB

nothing about usable... i would like to know, thank you

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Cltrl+ALT+Del and check----Task Manager----More information----Resources

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I think Task Manager shows that.

darn, got ninja'd

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Cltrl+ALT+Del and check----Task Manager----More information----Resources

What should i be looking for?

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

There should be a ram tab which indicates the usage.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Under performance

Under performance

I know, but there are several stats in that column. Im guessing "Available" is the amount usable?

Current 

Under the ram category it should tell you how much of ram is currently allocated to active, free etc..

The free/available will tell you how much ram is currently free for the system to take without caching or transferring anything to a attached drive.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Under the ram category it should tell you how much of ram is currently allocated to active, free etc.. The free/available will tell you how much ram is currently free for the system to take without caching or transferring anything to a attached drive.

It says, In use: 3.7GB

Available: 4.2GB

Cached: 4.2 

and so on

Current 

It says, In use: 3.7GB

Available: 4.2GB

Cached: 4.2

and so on

So by those numbers, you are currently using 3.7Gb, have 4.2Gb that is available for an application or kernel, and you have 4.2Gb in a cache more than likely in pagefile.sys on your C drive unless it has been changed.

The cached is ram that at one point in time was being used but because the application has been minimized for a prolonged amount of time, Windows decided to move it to virtual memory. When you call the application again, Windows will call the virtual memory and move it to ram.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

So by those numbers, you are currently using 3.7Gb, have 4.2Gb that is available for an application or kernel, and you have 4.2Gb in a cache more than likely in pagefile.sys on your C drive unless it has been changed. The cached is ram that at one point in time was being used but because the application has been minimized for a prolonged amount of time, Windows decided to move it to virtual memory. When you call the application again, Windows will call the virtual memory and move it to ram.

Ok thanks for clarifying!

Current