what do i do after installing windows 7

Go to solution Solved by Askew,

install drivers for all the hardware in your PC.

gather all the latest ones from the respective manufacturer websites using your current PC and put them on a USB stick for easy installation on the new OS.

key drivers to get, GPU drivers, drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website for the chipset/USB/SATA/LAN/Audio.

If you make sure to get all those covered, Windows Update will take care of most other hardare once the OS is up and running/connected to the internet, all you really have to do after that is install whatever programs you want as you did with vista, and prepare your anus for ENDLESS updates to be downloaded and a bunch of reboots.

Some essential programs are, VLC player, Notepad++, Imgburn, RealTemp, a browser like Firefox/Chrome, Steam, XBMC is the best player on PC for movies.

just as the title says. what do i install after i download windows 7 64bit on my new pc? im using vista right now and i know i had to download like 4 things. i was just curious on what i need to install/download for windows 7

Drivers

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

If you have a disk, there was no need to download anything, you can just pop in the disk and install it, but one thing you should have is any networking drivers you may need.

install drivers for all the hardware in your PC.

gather all the latest ones from the respective manufacturer websites using your current PC and put them on a USB stick for easy installation on the new OS.

key drivers to get, GPU drivers, drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website for the chipset/USB/SATA/LAN/Audio.

If you make sure to get all those covered, Windows Update will take care of most other hardare once the OS is up and running/connected to the internet, all you really have to do after that is install whatever programs you want as you did with vista, and prepare your anus for ENDLESS updates to be downloaded and a bunch of reboots.

Some essential programs are, VLC player, Notepad++, Imgburn, RealTemp, a browser like Firefox/Chrome, Steam, XBMC is the best player on PC for movies.

install drivers, Google chrome, and Steam. and your done for life 

MotherBoard: Asus Z87 Gryphon CPU: i5 4670k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 DCUII RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair HX650v2 SemiModular Storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX Monitor: Samsung S24D590PL Keybord: Ducky Shine Zero Cherry  Red Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

Visit your motherboard website and download all of your drivers and if you have a discrete graphics card instead of downloading the graphics drivers from the motherboard website do it from your graphics card manufacterer website instead.  If you need help finding the drivers, tell us your components and I'll send you the links to the driver pages :)

Notepad++ is part of barebones for me, the most useful free program of all time.

You forget VLC...  

Use Ninite for downloading popular programs.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

you do this, after you install the drivers, of course.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Visit your motherboard website and download all of your drivers and if you have a discrete graphics card instead of downloading the graphics drivers from the motherboard website do it from your graphics card manufacterer website instead.  If you need help finding the drivers, tell us your components and I'll send you the links to the driver pages :)

asus z97-pro (wifi ac)

evga gtx 770 4gb superclocked

i7-4790k

evga 750w

corsair 16gb vengeance pro

WD blue 1tb

corsair h100i

asus z97-pro (wifi ac)

i7-4790k

evga 750w

WD blue 1tb

corsair h100i

LOL i7 and a 770...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

LOL i7 and a 770...

And why is that so funny mister I-cant-OC?

@EmptyTehNewbiie`, your are gonna OC at some point, get stuff ready for it. MSI Afterburner, RealTemp, HWmonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor, OCCT, 3Dmark.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

asus z97-pro (wifi ac)

i7-4790k

evga 750w

WD blue 1tb

corsair h100i

Your motherboard Drivers http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the latest Sata Drivers, USB Drivers, Bluetooth Drivers, Network Drivers, Chipset Drivers

Graphics Card Drivers http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Download the latest WQHL Driver :)

LOL i7 and a 770...

hey dont laugh at his rig... its better than what you got.  I'm not saying yours sucks but dont tell him his specs are funny when you dont have any better. 

Your motherboard Drivers http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the latest Sata Drivers, USB Drivers, Bluetooth Drivers, Network Drivers, Chipset Drivers

Graphics Card Drivers http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Download the latest WQHL Driver :)

are the sata usb and all those other drivers included in the motherboards or do i have to look them up on my own?