LG's new wearable is a child tracker that lets parents listen in

Dietrichw

Why would kids need this?  Aren't they on leashes when you go out if they run off?

it's not for when parents are with kids, it's so kids can go and do things by themselves and if parents need to get in contact or the kids get in trouble they can contact their parents.

There seems to be this big misconception that the device is about spying,  it's not, think of it more like a phone for small kids, we give our older kids phones so if they get in trouble they can call us for help, but 5 year old's can't do that or can't always communicate what the issue is. this device alleviates that issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is a bad idea.

Any kidnapper would just take it off. Only young kids are going to wear it in the first place and the child could just take it off anyway, and young kids don't really go out on their own where this thing is being marketed as being useful.

The concept is a good idea don't get me wrong but overall I don't think this will be used in the way it's intended.

First of all can they not make the device less obvious, this could be something kids get bullied over or is it meant for like sub-5 year old age range? Even then people that are going to lets say kidnap the kid may notice it and remove it..

Also, I can see 'concerned' parents just abusing this and using it on teenagers that are pretty damn safe but the parents just use it as a tracking device.

An age limit should be put on this device.

Also, I can see 'concerned' parents just abusing this and using it on teenagers that are pretty damn safe but the parents just use it as a tracking device.

I don't think that will happen. Teenagers rebel against their parents for a lot of trivial stuff. They won't let their parents stray a fisher price-style tracking device onto their arm.

If it's one thing I agree with @mr moose about then it's that it will be a handy "I want to call my parents button" for little kids.

That's the only thing I can think of though.

The concept is a good idea don't get me wrong but overall I don't think this will be used in the way it's intended.

First of all can they not make the device less obvious, this could be something kids get bullied over or is it meant for like sub-5 year old age range? Even then people that are going to lets say kidnap the kid may notice it and remove it..

An age limit should be put on this device.

If a parent is that fucked up that they would try to make their teenage kids where this then those kids have got a lot more problems than any tech device can bring them.  It's not for older kids unless they have a disability of some description. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.