Need help choosing a laptop/ultrabook for school

samyb1066

This September I will be going into 6th form (post 16 education) and need a laptop/ultrabook for work in my DT (design and technology) class.

Here is what I'm looking for:

•lightweight, as I will have to carry it with textbooks all day

•thin, so it doesn't take up too much space in my bag

•fast, I love the SSD in my gaming pc and would like to have one in my laptop as well(but could go without)

•5 hour+ battery

•touch screen

•preferably with an intel processor

•not too concerned about storage size as I have a 1TB usb3.0 portable hdd

Any help would be greatly appreciated and in would like to spend under £600/ US$1000

go thinkpad

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

go thinkpad

I totally agree with that :) Thinkpads may not be the perfect example for "thin and light" but they are perfect for daily work (especially writing). I would recommend a x220 tablet / x230 tablet / Yoga [there are versions of the x2x0 tablet without touch].

Alternatively something like a Surface Pro 2/3 -> here might the battery run time be more like ~5h (you can't change them and they don't get better ;) )

Also the Dell XPS 12 may be an option (Linus tends to carry this thing around)

Dell is one of the most unreliable brands..... 

But lenovo are rugged and built to last.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

This September I will be going into 6th form (post 16 education) and need a laptop/ultrabook for work in my DT (design and technology) class.

Here is what I'm looking for:

•lightweight, as I will have to carry it with textbooks all day

•thin, so it doesn't take up too much space in my bag

•fast, I love the SSD in my gaming pc and would like to have one in my laptop as well(but could go without)

•5 hour+ battery

•touch screen

•preferably with an intel processor

•not too concerned about storage size as I have a 1TB usb3.0 portable hdd

Any help would be greatly appreciated and in would like to spend under £600/ US$1000

I have one of these for work and will swear by it. They are tough built awesome, and are just an all together great laptop. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1J20X64750&cm_re=Thinkpad_T-_-34-312-845-_-Product

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Surface Pro 2/3 might be a good option indeed.

If you get a thinkpad x240 with the extended battery the battery is supposed to be around 18 hours of use.

Thanks for the help, I will probably go with an xps12 especially after seeing Linus save his from the rain

If you get a thinkpad x240 with the extended battery the battery is supposed to be around 18 hours of use.

That's the rated up to, I think he wants to have a laptop that can achieve at least 5 hours with moderate to heavy use. I know I would.

That's the rated up to, I think he wants to have a laptop that can achieve at least 5 hours with moderate to heavy use. I know I would.

That is what people have tested it as as well.. some people have gotten 20 hours..

It would do 10 hours of seriously heavy work no problem.. but most likely more then that. 

Macbook Air

e7240 from the dell outlet(make sure you get 1920 x 1080 screen)

t440s