Z87 or Z97?

i was wondering what are the improvments in general? im not going to use m.2 so thats off the list.

i was looking for mobo to go along with a new 4790k but i would also like to watercool the board too and to my knowledge there arent any waterblocks out yet for the new boards. i know theres that msi mpower and i believe an asus one too that have blaocks integrated but iwas looking for a board with third partie blocks available.

any suggestions? also a reason would be great why youd suggest something since i can see people go "z97"

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

sabertooth z97

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

If you want to add the board to your loop either wait till it comes out or go z87.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Ahh...such a sexy board.

Ikr I'm going to be ordering one this friday.

Z97 - sata express, support for broadwell, and some minor things like eg: asrock z97 boards now have japanese capacitors as to where z87 didn't

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

sabertooth z97

see now i gotta ask. and that adds up unnecessary posts.

so are there aftermarket blocks for it out?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

z97 has SATA Express and M.2.  It will also give you compatibility with upcoming Broadwell chips.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I would go for z97 but do you really need to watercool your motherboard? xD

The 

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1 WiFi Black can be watercooler :)

see now i gotta ask. and that adds up unnecessary posts.

so are there aftermarket blocks for it out?

It comes stock with blocks

The 

Sabertooth looks better though

Z97 supports m.2 and Sata express as well as official support for devils canyon and broadwell. If you're planning on over locking go with z97 as 4690k tends to run cooler and oc more consistently than the 4670k. If you're not oc'g then save money and go z87.

Why do you want to water cool your board...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Sabertooth looks better though

Yep that's true I also kinda hate msi boards xD but i knew this one had a block because I just saw it in a shop.

The 

well yes in my specific case i would like to watercool it and do you mean it has a build in block because that is not what i wanted

It comes stock with blocks

so no?

well yes in my specific case i would like to watercool it and do you mean it has a build in block because that is not what i wanted

Ek doesn't even have blocks for z97 so you only could use boards that have them already or wait or just buy a z87 and pray that it fits.

Btw you already asked this 2 times.

Or use a z87 board that supports haswell refresh cpu's

Ek doesn't even have blocks for z97 so you only could use boards that have them already or wait or just buy a z87 and pray that it fits.

Btw you already asked this 2 times.

Or use a z87 board that supports haswell refresh cpu's

yeah could be that i ask some of my questions more than once i really need to get that under control. how long would you estimate id have to wait for ek to come up with something and what boards are most likely to get blocks so i could get the right one ?

yeah could be that i ask some of my questions more than once i really need to get that under control. how long would you estimate id have to wait for ek to come up with something and what boards are most likely to get blocks so i could get the right one ?

Ek is usually pretty fast but z97 has been out for a while so I expect them to release soon but this take some time because they need to work together with other companies.

But usually EVGA, And highend Asus boards have good support for waterblocks.

Ek is usually pretty fast but z97 has been out for a while so I expect them to release soon but this take some time because they need to work together with other companies.

But usually EVGA, And highend Asus boards have good support for waterblocks.

thanks how would you imagine the chance for the asus deluxe board since i need wifi so sabertooth is out and i dont like evga that much

I would go Z97.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

so no?

I honestly don't know about the aftermarket watrerblocks sorry

thanks how would you imagine the chance for the asus deluxe board since i need wifi so sabertooth is out and i dont like evga that much

That chance is pretty high since almost all deluxe board got support for aftermarket waterblocks, But why not get a pci/usb wifi card

That chance is pretty high since almost all deluxe board got support for aftermarket waterblocks, But why not get a pci/usb wifi card

for the build i plan it would ruin the looks.

sabertooth z97

I have never quite understood everyone's love of the Sabertooth line. Not taking anything away from them, they are excellent boards, I just cant get over that color scheme... 

Maybe I'm just vein though

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have never quite understood everyone's love of the Sabertooth line. Not taking anything away from them, they are excellent boards, I just cant get over that color scheme... 

Maybe I'm just vein though

It's the most amazing thing ever created by man, thats why I put a ring on. That way it woudln't leave me.