Need advice on bassy headphones

S w a t s o n
Go to solution Solved by S w a t s o n,

Well, I couldn't find the store, so I just gave in and got a pair of COPS, hopefully they turn out good

Ok so this is my first topic post on here, hopefully it goes well.

I know this sort of lazy of me but I'm going to copy and paste my post from r/headphones with some editing ofc it's just effecient.

Budget - $350 CAD

Source - Realtek ALC892, likely buying a Magni and Modi later, some have suggested a CMoyBB and a Modi.

Isolation - High isolation preferred

Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural

Preferred Tonal Balance - Rumble-tier Basshead but need some mids and highs aswell.

Past Headphones - Mostly various gaming headsets. Steelseries Siberia V2's, Plantronic lower-tier Gamecom's, Creative Soundblasters. AKA Nothing good really.

Preferred Music - I listen to a very wide range of music but mostly EDM in various forms. Dubstep, DnB, House, Trap, Techno, Dance. That kind of stuff. Also rap, rnb, shitty pop, rock, alt rock, a bit of ska, a bit of reggae AND GAMING.

From what I have researched it appears that I have 3 options:

* Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro's at 250ohms

* Sennheiser HD8 DJ's

* HiFiMan HE-400

Unfortunately no one can agree which is sibilant or if the HD8 DJ's are just Beats by Sennheiser so I'm very lost. In general I like the seal and feel of leather earcup padding and I think closed one will rumble better but I hear that the 990's put out major bass with the open design.

Basically if such a thing exists, I want bass quantity and quality, keeping it tight with nothing muddy but good enough mids and highs that I can listen to anything else comfortably.

END OF COPY/PASTE

Ok so here's the deal, all I get is conflicting details about every headphone ever and what it does and does not provide This is highly frustrating. All I want is BASS without giving up all mids and highs. I WANT POWERFUL, EAR TICKLING BASS AND I WANT THE BASS TO HIT HARD AND OFTEN. I understand that I can't have it all but the main point is I want the rumble.

Apparantly that rules out the DT 990's and HE-400's due to them being open, they just dont rumble. I'm not sure because I keep getting conflicting statements on them.

I am aware of the polarizing situation with the Sennheiser HD8 DJ's, I am also aware that some have recommended things like a Beyerdyanmic COP or Denon AH-D 600's. That's fine except that the denon's are too much in Canada, but I can get a COP, this brings up the issue of "do i even neep an amp/dac with a pair of 16 ohm headphones?" . Also apparantly the cord on them is kinda short...

I have also been looking around and I've seen that V-Moda's M-100's and LP2 maybe be right for me, but again I see conflicting reports about the bass and whether it's over the top or not enough or loose or tight on either model.

I simply cannot sample all these due to Toronto just not having shops that have all these bassy models up for listening tests.

So really I am stuck, I have no idea what to believe. Every headphone has a trade off that makes someone oppose it. I am not an audiophile so I can't exactly go deep into nuances, I just want to be able to listen to EDM balls to the walls without making every other genre sound like shit. I am willing to buy 2 sets of headphones if you guys can find a combo under $350 CAD

I am aware you guys cant just tell me the right one has I have realized since starting this journey to acquire nice headphones, but some sort of consenus at all would be great.

TL;DR WTB MOAR RUMBLE without killing every other genre

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

really, the only experience you will get rumbling from bass is with a good speaker set up. 

Right now I'm listening with my DT 990 pro's with the most obnoxiously equalized song all on bass (artist did it, you can go and download it in .wav for less compression), no "rumbling". 

You'll get a better experience bass-side with planar headphones, but I'm just sayin' mang.

DL link:https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter/savant-the-third-eye-savants

I have heard good things about the T50RP V3 from MayFlower.

Quote me to get a reply!

really, the only experience you will get rumbling from bass is with a good speaker set up. 

lol #Beats.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

If you want the Denon's why not just ship them to a packaging receiving place just south of the border?
I'd probably recommend that for any of the headphones you've listed. You'll save a ton of money.

I was going to recommend the VModa's, I've very briefly listened to them and they had a lot of bass.

The HE400's need an amp. So, if you can't do that right away I wouldn't bother with them. They've also been replaced by a newer model, so if you were thinking about those I'd go with the newer guys.

I'm shocked Toronto doesn't have a headphone store. Even Vancouver has one, and it's a much smaller city.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Right now I'm listening with my DT 990 pro's with the most obnoxiously equalized song all on bass (artist did it, you can go and download it in .wav for less compression), no "rumbling". 

You'll get a better experience bass-side with planar headphones, but I'm just sayin' mang.

DL link:https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter/savant-the-third-eye-savants

I mean rumbling on my ears, not like "chest live event tier" rumbling, I've had shitty gaming headsets rumble on my ears. Like loud low frequency bass essentially, when that happens I want to feel it. I like to feel the bass essentially.

If you want the Denon's why not just ship them to a packaging receiving place just south of the border?

I'd probably recommend that for any of the headphones you've listed. You'll save a ton of money.

I was going to recommend the VModa's, I've very briefly listened to them and they had a lot of bass.

The HE400's need an amp. So, if you can't do that right away I wouldn't bother with them. They've also been replaced by a newer model, so if you were thinking about those I'd go with the newer guys.

I'm shocked Toronto doesn't have a headphone store. Even Vancouver has one, and it's a much smaller city.

I have no idea how to import them without gettign wrecked by import taxes.

The HE-400's are 32ohms and fairly effcient planars that can be and have been driven by phones, however like I mentioned I am getting a Schiit Magni amp.

We have headphone stores but none of them have these models up for listening, or have 1 or two at most. Finding DT 990's to listen to is nigh impossible, I found a place with HE-400's before I could find one with DT990's

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I mean rumbling on my ears, not like "chest live event tier" rumbling, I've had shitty gaming headsets rumble on my ears. Like loud low frequency bass essentially, when that happens I want to feel it. I like to feel the bass essentially.

yeah... I don't think that will happen. Again no rumbling. 

I have no idea how to import them without gettign wrecked by import taxes.

The HE-400's are 32ohms and fairly effcient planars that can be and have been driven by phones, however like I mentioned I am getting a Schiit Magni amp.

We have headphone stores but none of them have these models up for listening, or have 1 or two at most. Finding DT 990's to listen to is nigh impossible, I found a place with HE-400's before I could find one with DT990's

You live in Toronto. Just go across the border and pick them up. It can't take that long, I do it from Vancouver all the time.

Electronics don't have duty. You'll only be charged tax, just like you would be if you bought the item in Canada.

No...not really. Pretty much everyone will suggest you drive the HE-400's with an amp.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You live in Toronto. Just go across the border and pick them up. It can't take that long, I do it from Vancouver all the time.

Electronics don't have duty. You'll only be charged tax, just like you would be if you bought the item in Canada.

No...not really. Pretty much everyone will suggest you drive the HE-400's with an amp.

No car, getting across the border is not an option.

Also want to mention that for some odd reason I can get every pair I mentioned here EXCEPT the denons for the same or cheaper than US anyways.

DT990 PRO= 180 CAD

HD8 DJ=350 CAD

HE-400= 350 CAD

LP2=199 CAD

M-100=299 CAD

COP=229 CAD

CHC SIlverado with Bass boosted EQ or HD 439 with the bass mod do indeed rumble on your head.

I feel silly mentioning it, but the Skullcandy Crushers have a chunk of metal that vibrates to the bass frequencies....

Well considering the LP and LP2's are apparanty known for it idk man...  either way call it what you want "rumbling", "punchy". I think you get the idea

CHC SIlverado with Bass boosted EQ or HD 439 with the bass mod do indeed rumble on your head.

I feel silly mentioning it, but the Skullcandy Crushers have a chunk of metal that vibrates to the bass frequencies....

Yea, no on the skullcandy :P Maybe I need to redefine rumbling for you guys, i mean like ear tickling essentially, I don't need my head to vibrate at the exact frequency used to shatter glass or anything. No silly gimmicks, i just like strong bass, especially at the low end. I feel like I'm crazy or something now lol

That 439 idea sounds interesting though...

EDIT: So it looks like the crushers are actually kind of well recieved even from inner fidelity :| I have had headsets using a vibration technology similar to this and I have admit I did kind of enjoy the fake bass response it provides. Still, I told myself I'd be a good boy and get real decent sounding headphones for once.

bit off topic:

I'm using speakers and a sub since I'm too lazy to put on my headphones, but that's /comparatively/ pretty tame.

Here are some good rumble-y benchmark songs.

Skip straight to HE400's or 500's, don't even bother with 990s.

Error: 410

Not exactly low end but I can FEEL the bass in my ears when I crank it, this what I mean. Anyways this is offtopic, i still need moar advice :D

Noted the vote for the HE-400's. Helping, do they really deliver on the power, I've been told they dont hit as hard since some revision or something, not the 400i's but just a 2.0 or something

bit off topic:

I'm using speakers and a sub since I'm too lazy to put on my headphones, but that's /comparatively/ pretty tame.

Skip straight to HE400's or 500's, don't even bother with 990s.

I gave a DL link because the compression of YT. Go and download it yourself.

I love my HD8 DJs and I would definitely recommend them.

EDIT: So it looks like the crushers are actually kind of well recieved even from inner fidelity :| I have had headsets using a vibration technology similar to this and I have admit I did kind of enjoy the fake bass response it provides. Still, I told myself I'd be a good boy and get real decent sounding headphones for once.

Tyll likes them because they're a silly product "for your kids" but if you want to be silly then why not? They wont give you accurate bass response like anything else mentioned, however.

V-Moda is a good route to go if you want to spend your full budget, I just felt like offering some cheaper options.

Tyll likes them because they're a silly product "for your kids" but if you want to be silly then why not? They wont give you accurate bass response like anything else mentioned, however.

V-Moda is a good route to go if you want to spend your full budget, I just felt like offering some cheaper options.

He said even he'd fuck around with them which is a pretty large compliment for skullcandies lol.

I assume you mean the m-100's specifically?

I love my HD8 DJs and I would definitely recommend them.

How is long term comfort? I wear my headphones near all day sometimes, I have heard the HD8 not being suitable for that.

Maybe NAD VISO? Not sure how much they cost in Canada though. 

Can't really find em and I don't think they are quite what I'm looking for but thanks for the suggesiton

How is long term comfort? I wear my headphones near all day sometimes, I have heard the HD8 not being suitable for that.

I've been wearing them most of the day since I got them (about a week and a half ago) and I haven't experienced any discomfort.

In terms of bass quality, I'd +1 on the HE 400. Planars have tight, dense bass that is just delicious. Vmoda M100 is great for mobile/portability, but since they're at the same price, compared head to head, with portability features discounted, I'd take HE400 anytime of the week. Most people have trouble with its weight, 440g (almost half a kg), but just need to get used to.

With flat EQ, the HE400 sounds quite warm, leaning toward darker sound. I've EQ'd mine (on foobar, and a bit on the pre-amp), and now it sounds great. No matter what people say, I've found out first hand that the HE400 is quite sensitive to the choice of the amp, or what amp is used to drive it. It should run properly on most mobile devices, without the help from external amps (although my onboard doesn't seem to have enough juice), but with a good dedicated amp, it will sound quite different (better imo, but that's a matter of taste)

In terms of bass quality, I'd +1 on the HE 400. Planars have tight, dense bass that is just delicious. Vmoda M100 is great for mobile/portability, but since they're at the same price, compared head to head, with portability features discounted, I'd take HE400 anytime of the week. Most people have trouble with its weight, 440g (almost half a kg), but just need to get used to.

With flat EQ, the HE400 sounds quite warm, leaning toward darker sound. I've EQ'd mine (on foobar, and a bit on the pre-amp), and now it sounds great. No matter what people say, I've found out first hand that the HE400 is quite sensitive to the choice of the amp, or what amp is used to drive it. It should run properly on most mobile devices, without the help from external amps (although my onboard doesn't seem to have enough juice), but with a good dedicated amp, it will sound quite different (better imo, but that's a matter of taste)

Noted, what type of EQ did you apply to yours?

Also, just found Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's for like $169 with free shipping ( i could pick them up actually), highly debating whether to just get those and be done with it. If I did I think i'd skip the modi and magni and just get a cmoyBB customized to low impedance headphones.. good idea?

If you think I should go with something else: Will the various $300 headphones be worth the $130+ difference?  I'd also probably buy a magni and modi for most of the other more expensive headphones I have considered so that would add another $226~ after shipping. This was my original plan so I have budgeted for it but I always like a deal, so I want to know if it would be money well spent.