Need advice on bassy headphones

S w a t s o n
Go to solution Solved by S w a t s o n,

Well, I couldn't find the store, so I just gave in and got a pair of COPS, hopefully they turn out good

Also, just found Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's for like $169 with free shipping ( i could pick them up actually), highly debating whether to just get those and be done with it. If I did I think i'd skip the modi and magni and just get a cmoyBB customized to low impedance headphones.. good idea?

If you think I should go with something else: Will the various $300 headphones be worth the $130+ difference?  I'd also probably buy a magni and modi for most of the other more expensive headphones I have considered so that would add another $226~ after shipping. This was my original plan so I have budgeted for it but I always like a deal, so I want to know if it would be money well spent.

Unless your headphones you are buying need additional amplification (they do not get loud enough), then you will hear minimal difference if at all buying a dac/amp. COP are not bad at $169 so this is a solid choice. It's up to you how much you want to spend. Past about $200 is where I would say the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard. 

Edit: $200 in the US. In Canada it's probably closer to $250. 

Unless your headphones you are buying need additional amplification (they do not get loud enough), then you will hear minimal difference if at all buying a dac/amp. COP are not bad at $169 so this is a solid choice. It's up to you how much you want to spend. Past about $200 is where I would say the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard. 

Edit: $200 in the US. In Canada it's probably closer to $250. 

Yea I know, it's just seems that all of these more bassy headphones get a bit more kick with an amp even if they do not exactly need them, the HD8's (to a lesser degree), DT990 Pro's and the HE-400's would be a must with an amp but either way I feel like it's a good choice to get one just to have it, I'm going with the cheaper cmoyBB if i go for the COP's because it's cheaper than a magni obviously, and no need for a magni with it's massive power on a 16ohm headphone. I'd get a cheap fiio but I dislike battery powered amps since it's just for desk use

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Noted, what type of EQ did you apply to yours?

I did a somewhat crazy EQ-ing:

eq_zps62f46d04.jpg

It sounds good out of the box, but for me, I'm adding a little volume on the mids and highs. As for the lows, it's because I just love the tight bass, and can't get enough of them. Most people find the lows enough or just right with flat EQ though....

By the way, that's a 30 bands graphic equalizer plugin on Foobar. It's free, just have to download and install, but limited to Foobar's use only.

Ah very nice, I mostly use spotify (upgrading for 320kbps soon) so I only have access to the realtek EQ unfortunately, I could probably emulate something approximate to that and see how that turns out but as it is I think the COP may be the choice, its just such a good price right now

EDIT: After doing some listening tests I have narrowed it down to the v-moda lp2's or the COP

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

There's an EQ app for spotify on the PC, called Equalify or something. Only 6 bands, but still easier to access than whatever is within drivers.

yeah... I don't think that will happen. Again no rumbling. 

He-400 "Should" and HE-500 as well as LCD-2 will do this, but LCD-2 are well out of his price range.  LCD-2's are a bit better at this than my previous HE-500's were, but those suckers could pump out some bass for sure.

One thing I like most about my LCD-2's is the ability to rattle my entire face songs like "home" by dubba jonny rattle my cheeks and ears :D  At 2:00 my entire ears wobble when the bass hits and contracts,  at 2:20 both of my cheeks wobble back and forth, it's fun as hell xD

I have heard in reviews that HE-400 have more bass than the HE-500, but it's a tad less defined, but still has that rumble+punch+kick that the 500's do.

My vote goes to either HE-400 @Swatson 

If only LCD-2's weren't so expensive, I'd tell you to get those in a heartbeat. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well, I with this many people recommending the HE-400's I might just have to drag my ass to a store to demo them and see if they can provide the feel I want

:rolleyes: Hifiman aint got no basshead cans

He-400 "Should" and HE-500 as well as LCD-2 will do this, but LCD-2 are well out of his price range.  LCD-2's are a bit better at this than my previous HE-500's were, but those suckers could pump out some bass for sure.

One thing I like most about my LCD-2's is the ability to rattle my entire face songs like "home" by dubba jonny rattle my cheeks and ears :D  At 2:00 my entire ears wobble when the bass hits and contracts,  at 2:20 both of my cheeks wobble back and forth, it's fun as hell xD

I have heard in reviews that HE-400 have more bass than the HE-500, but it's a tad less defined, but still has that rumble+punch+kick that the 500's do.

See this is why I'm frustrated as I mention in the OP, I keep getting conflicting answers like this and, I cant go and test every headphone so it fucks me over. I just happen to know a place with the he-400's on demo so at least I can try them and see if the really do rumble or not, but most others I'm kinda SOL

See this is why I'm frustrated as I mention in the OP, I keep getting conflicting answers like this and, I cant go and test every headphone so it fucks me over. I just happen to know a place with the he-400's on demo so at least I can try them and see if the really do rumble or not, but most others I'm kinda SOL

If you like the bass response of them, then by all means get a pair. I'm just saiyan, it aint bass heavy without EQ (though planars do EQ better than dynamic drivers)..

I understand, I'm not siding with either of you because I have no fucking idea, I just wish this was more straight forward but subjectivity is a bitch I guess

I understand, I'm not siding with either of you because I have no fucking idea, I just wish this was more straight forward but subjectivity is a bitch I guess

You don't have to side with me - I have proof! :D

790518a545.png

The HP50 is a relatively tame, warm set of headphones.

really, the only experience you will get rumbling from bass is with a good speaker set up. 

Right now I'm listening with my DT 990 pro's with the most obnoxiously equalized song all on bass (artist did it, you can go and download it in .wav for less compression), no "rumbling". 

You'll get a better experience bass-side with planar headphones, but I'm just sayin' mang.

DL link:https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter/savant-the-third-eye-savants

You just turned my brighter than the sun headphones into a heavy hitting bass machine.

I think you just broke the universe.  :wacko:

That was interesting. I don't really listen to those genres as a general rule.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You just turned my brighter than the sun headphones into a heavy hitting bass machine.

I think you just broke the universe.  :wacko:

That was interesting. I don't really listen to those genres as a general rule.

one of the few songs I know that uses chromatic chord progression, the genre's pretty awesome and software can allow you to do crazy insane stuff like you can do with an organ (harmonic side) with any texture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus_progression

You don't have to side with me - I have proof! :D

790518a545.png

The HP50 is a relatively tame, warm set of headphones.

Well shit if the hp50 is tame, what's not so tame, up until like 50hz that easily stomps on the lp2's and once the lp2's overtake them it's by like 5db maybe? Unless you meant tame as in not very v shaped? Idk, I'm a skrub when it comes to this stuff

34f434358e.png

I'd recommend trying them, I have heard mixed things about the HE-400, I know my HE-500's had really nice bass, it hit hard and deep when it needed to, and it always sounded tight while doing so.  But my LCD-2's took what the 500's did, and kicked it up a notch.

I hear some people say the 400's have more kick than the 500's, but some say the opposite. So I'm not 100% sure.

I'd recommend trying them.  I know for sure my HE-500's at high volumes could really rattle my ears with bass, but the treble was a tad bit much for me. (But as I said before, the HE-400's are a tad different)

M-100's are known as a basshead can so to speak, those would be worth a try as well as the Hp50's.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

one of the few songs I know that uses chromatic chord progression, the genre's pretty awesome and software can allow you to do crazy insane stuff like you can do with an organ (harmonic side) with any texture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus_progression

Well shit if the hp50 is tame, what's not so tame, up until like 50hz that easily stomps on the lp2's and once the lp2's overtake them it's by like 5db maybe? Unless you meant tame as in not very v shaped? Idk, I'm a skrub when it comes to this stuff

34f434358e.png

The reduced mids and treble equate to more bass, essentially. But yes, the smoothness of the HP50's curve also makes is sound.... smooth? c:

OK i see what you mean

What's so good about planars' lows is the quality of the bass, although they do have the potential to be pushed to big quantity.

Go to that store. What PMP (portable media player) do you have? Try to bring one that have custom EQ to the store. If you're using an idevice (ipad, iphone, itouch, etc), I'd recommend you download Onkyo HF player. It's free (unless you want to expand it to be able to play wav, flac, etc, then you'll have to pay $10), and it got superb custom EQ. 

Plug the PMP to an adequate amp (the store should have at least one, for testing), and set the custom EQ to lots of bass. HE400 will sound with Ipad without an amp, but can't push it too far. If the amp is good, you'll notice the HE400 could be pushed to lots of bass before it clips. If the amp doesn't got enough juice, it will give out some kind of crackling noises when you push too much on the EQ. I'm using a speaker amp for my HE400, and I could push the lows until it pressures my ears, like the feeling of diving more than 2 meters deep without a pair of ear plugs. Kinda fun at first, but 5 minutes into it, my ears just gave out, and I got mild headaches. 

What's so good about planars' lows is the quality of the bass, although they do have the potential to be pushed to big quantity.

Go to that store. What PMP (portable media player) do you have? Try to bring one that have custom EQ to the store. If you're using an idevice (ipad, iphone, itouch, etc), I'd recommend you download Onkyo HF player. It's free (unless you want to expand it to be able to play wav, flac, etc, then you'll have to pay $10), and it got superb custom EQ. 

Plug the PMP to an adequate amp (the store should have at least one, for testing), and set the custom EQ to lots of bass. HE400 will sound with Ipad without an amp, but can't push it too far. If the amp is good, you'll notice the HE400 could be pushed to lots of bass before it clips. If the amp doesn't got enough juice, it will give out some kind of crackling noises when you push too much on the EQ. I'm using a speaker amp for my HE400, and I could push the lows until it pressures my ears, like the feeling of diving more than 2 meters deep without a pair of ear plugs. Kinda fun at first, but 5 minutes into it, my ears just gave out, and I got mild headaches. 

Unfortunately my only portable device (a nexus 5) is lost :(, but I will see if they have it hooked up to something with hardware EQ

Well, I couldn't find the store, so I just gave in and got a pair of COPS, hopefully they turn out good

i don't really know what's going on right now, but if you want bassy headphones, try planars like HE-400 or Phillips fidelio X1

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I was gonna go demo those planars but couldn't find the store, I was a bit frustrated so I kinda just made a gut decision and picked up the custom one pros for now, I will look into these (or the 400i's when the come out) at a later time

Let us know what you think, but most importantly, enjoy! :)

Let us know what you think, but most importantly, enjoy! :)

I actually really like them, I was worried that I may need an amp to get the full boom out of them even with the low impedance but they are doing well as is. Only complaint is that the cord is wayyyyy to short, I get that it's a good length for portable devices, but they could have included a longer cable, they want like 30 bucks for their longer CoilPro cable, however I'm ordering in a vmoda boompro mic which is a bit longer, and I have extensions right now.