PC Beeps twice; no display

Alexei
Go to solution Solved by Alexei,

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Turns out I just had to connect my HDMI cable to my graphics card and click a button on the monitor to HDMI input instead of D-Sub..

Sorry for wasting all of your time..  :blush:
Thanks a million for all your help and advice though :)

I have just finished my first build but when I turn it on, the display is blank and the motherboard makes two bleeps. I have checked that the RAM is seated properly and the problem persists. The screen on the mobo (Dr Debug?) comes up with a2 and then stays at around 40. Help would be awesome!

My build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290 VAPOR-X OC 4GB GDDR5

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

does your motherboard have a led read out that has a code stating to the problem ?

edit: from that you can find out the problem in the manual

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I have just finished my first build but when I turn it on, the display is blank and the motherboard makes two bleeps. I have checked that the RAM is seated properly and the problem persists. The screen on the mobo (Dr Debug?) comes up with a2 and then stays at around 40. Help would be awesome!

My build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290 VAPOR-X OC 4GB GDDR5

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Steps:

1) take note of error code and beeps.(you did!)

2)find the jumper(or sometimes button) and clear CMOS. 

It should boot now. Something in the BIOS is not letting it boot. Clearing the CMOS will reset to a safe default.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

@Alexei

There are 2 pins on that mobo next to the watch-style battery. While the pc is off, use a flathead screwdriver and bridge 2 pins together by creating a short with the screwdriver.. That'll clear your CMOS.

Source: I downloaded your user manual from msi. Page 1-27

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I have tried clearing the CMOS but it doesn't fix it. I tried your method, and pulling the battery out and back in again among other ways to clear the CMOS but nope, still doesn't work.

@SparkySamZa
Sadly the motherboard manual doesn't have that, or at least I can't find it anywhere in the manual.

@SparkySamZa

Sadly the motherboard manual doesn't have that, or at least I can't find it anywhere in the manual.

It doesn't have pages listing debug codes? Seriously? Wow, that's unimpressive. 

Check each RAM slot to see of you have a bad slot or module. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I have checked that too to no avail. However I removed the graphics card and powered the computer on and the display came on asking me for boot media (but I still had 2 beeps at startup). Does this mean I have a faulty graphics card?

I connected the two PCI-E connectors from the PSU into the Graphics Card. I think this is what you are supposed to do? I tried the GPU in another slot and there was no difference.

Correct.

EDIT: I assume it uses the on-board integrated video card instead.

Correct.

EDIT: I assume it uses the on-board integrated video card instead.

Can you get into the BIOS and load optimized defaults? Then save and exit? RAM problems will usually beep rapidly. 2 beeps usually is video card/display. 

Have you tried re seating the graphics card, also do you have the power cables needed to power the card?

I went into the BIOS and loaded optimized defaults and then saved and reboot. Then I powered the computer down and re-installed the graphics card, when I powered the PC up again there was still a blank display. Doesn't seem to have worked? Surely it can't be to do with the display seeing as it works fine when the graphics card is removed, although I'm still not sure if the graphics card is faulty because the LEDs on it turn on and the middle fan (there's 3) spins up.

I have tried re-seating the graphics card into the same slot and also into other slots, it makes no change. I have connected two PCI-Express connectors (8 pin each) into the corresponding two slots in the graphics card. These are connected into my PSU, the connection into the PSU looks flush and firm. And anyway, if my card wasn't getting power, how would the LEDs and fans turn on? 

EDIT: Looking inside the BIOS, it seems all my other connections, RAM, storage devices and other components are working properly as the motherboard detects them and shows them in the BIOS.

Ok....give me the deep code number off the display on the motherboard so I can research it so we can get you up and going? As I read further you stated that you were able to get into your bios, if this is true your able to get a display just not in windows...true or false?

Your motherboard may also bleep because you have set the wrong boot order in your bios.

Your motherboard may also bleep because you have set the wrong boot order in your bios.

That's true....please give us the order in which the order your devices boots. Oh and how many drives do you have? Like Stijnvc said your boot order may be wrong and its possible your booting to the wrong drive also.

True, I was able to get a display when I went into BIOS but I was only able to get into the BIOS when I removed my graphics card. When my graphics card is installed, there is no display, just blank. My boot order is my optical drive (for Windows disk installation later) and then my SSD and then HDD. Also I tested a different graphics card inside the build and the display was still blank?

True, I was able to get a display when I went into BIOS but I was only able to get into the BIOS when I removed my graphics card. When my graphics card is installed, there is no display, just blank. My boot order is my optical drive (for Windows disk installation later) and then my SSD and then HDD. Also I tested a different graphics card inside the build and the display was still blank?

Is your display cable connected to your motherboard or your GPU when you have the GPU on? If so, it will only work with onboard GPU.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

The codes are the same whether there is a graphics card installed or not. It runs through some other codes (too quick for me to see) and then is on 'A2' for a while before changing to some numbers like '40' or '42'. Looking at the BIOS, these numbers match up to the CPU temp I think. When I'm inside the BIOS, the codes change to 'bb'

Have you tried installing the graphics card into another slot? If im correct there is an option to change your graphics from pci, pci e and some other option not really sure check that.

Connected to my motherboard with a VGA cable. I tried a HDMI cable from my monitor to the graphics card but it's still blank. The GPU doesn't have VGA port, only DVI and I don't have a DVI cable.

Could be a broken motherboard. Have you grounded yourself while building your PC?

The bleeps could also indicate that your windows installation disk is invalid.

I had a friend who had this same problem and he installed windows first (via motherboard graphics) and afterwards installed the graphics card and drivers.

The codes are the same whether there is a graphics card installed or not. It runs through some other codes (too quick for me to see) and then is on 'A2' for a while before changing to some numbers like '40' or '42'. Looking at the BIOS, these numbers match up to the CPU temp I think. When I'm inside the BIOS, the codes change to 'bb'

The debug codes will never match the CPU temperature. Search up what error code 40/42 means for your motherboard. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III