ASUS G46VW: GTX 660M low performance on battery

Hey guys, I recently got an ASUS g46VW for college. I notice that when I'm on the battery, GPU performance is very poor, no matter what setting I play the game at. The GPUs clock speeds will ramp up and down constantly, resulting in frame rates as low as 10FPS sometimes. However, when I plug the laptop in, GPU performance is much better. Clocks are stable.

Attached below is a screenshot of performance levels while running FurMark on battery. Is there any way to fix this to make clocks more stable and less fluctuation? Thanks!

post-72903-0-42103400-1404540665_thumb.j

post-72903-0-42103400-1404540665_thumb.j

Laptops do this thing where if they're on battery the components will downclock themselves to save on the battery.

Some laptops turn on battery saving mode when unplugged, tried checking that?

I suspect there is a setting in the OS that enables a power-saving mode for the GPU.
oRSkIxc.jpg

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I suspect there is a setting in the OS that enables a power-saving mode for the GPU.

oRSkIxc.jpg

That was the first thing I tried, nothing changed unfortunately.

I even set the dedicated GPU to the NVIDIA one, and nothing changed. Its only when I plug it in that I get smooth frame rates.

Does this happen with all laptops? Like, people know that gaming on a laptop will drain battery, so why have it make it absolutely unplayable while on a battery? I seriously thought the laptop was broken or something lol