HTC One M8 VS Galaxy S5!

Lets debate to see which smartphone this forum Prefers. Rules: Comment what you think about one or both of the phones, DON'T LEAVE HATE!, any hate or bias comments by fan boys should be ignored.

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

i think we can have a civilized thread about this.

M8, i just cant stand samsungs childish skin and plastic.

M8 has it flaws to, like the gimmicky camera and stuff, but atleast you can ignore that.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

i think we can have a civilized thread about this.

M8, i just cant stand samsungs childish skin and plastic.

M8 has it flaws to, like the gimmicky camera and stuff, but atleast you can ignore that.

yeah I agree the M8's camera is not very good, but if you're not planning on taking a lot of pictures it is a solid phone.

I just got an HTC One M8 2 days ago :P. Inside they're basically the same thing. Snapdragon 801, 2GB ram, 16GB/32GB of storage... The only thing that differs are the screen sizes (and therefore, pixel density). The Galaxy S5 has a larger screen by just a little bit, which some may benefit from. Also the S5's camera is substantial. However, the main reason I chose the HTC One M8 is the speakers. Unlike most other phones, they face you; not away from you. Also, HTCDev allows you to unlock the bootloader and they support it. I like the build quality better on the HTC One M8, too.

It was a hard choice between the two phones, but I listen to a lot of music on my phone so I chose the one with the better speakers.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I like HTC Sense 6 way better than Samsung's Touchwiz, and the M8's brushed aluminum body is way more appealing to me than the plastic casing on the S5. Also, the front facing speakers are a deal-breaker. One M8 hands down for me.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

If I had to choose I'd go M8, it feels more solid and if I'm going to take pictures I'm not going to do it with my phone anyway. But, I'd never buy either of them. Too expensive for a phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well I would say software wise they are pretty much both poopoo. Build quality wise obviously hands down the M8 wins also those front-facing speakers doe, I didn't think the galaxy phones could get any uglier, but they managed to do exactly that with the S5 bandaid edition. However the S5 does have a removable battery, is water resistant and the camera is much better, so I guess it comes down to what's more important to you. Amazing build quality, looks and audio VS water resistance, removable battery and much better camera.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I am a HTC fanboy. Also, I love aluminium, Sense 5/6, and not having my phone look like a band-aid.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I have used both the S5 and the M8 and I find the M8 far superior in both build quality and Sense 6 is much smoother than TouchWiz.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Well I would say software wise they are pretty much both poopoo. Build quality wise obviously hands down the M8 wins also those front-facing speakers doe, I didn't think the galaxy phones could get any uglier, but they managed to do exactly that with the S5 bandaid edition. However the S5 does have a removable battery, is water resistant and the camera is much better, so I guess it comes down to what's more important to you. Amazing build quality, looks and audio VS water resistance, removable battery and much better camera.

whats wrong With the OS? they are both android phones?

I am a HTC fanboy. Also, I love aluminium, Sense 5/6, and not having my phone look like a band-aid.

yeah I agree the aesthetics of the S5  are awful

He means Sense and TouchWiz, those custom looks that HTC and samsung use for Android. It seems @Cacao prefers vanilla Android look.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

He means Sense and TouchWiz, those custom looks that HTC and samsung use for Android. It seems @Cacao prefers vanilla Android look.

ohhhh, but I thought the M8 was vanilla android

People here will rage on about the HTC One M8 because it is Linus' favorite just like with the M7. I would personally choose the Samsung S5, the M8 looks fat, especially around the edges which makes it hard to hold. And because it is aluminium it probably is really slippery. The S5 has exceptional battery life, a better camera, removable storage and the back of the device really doesn't bother me at all, it is not as ugly as people say and it has ten times the grip than that metal back of the M8 and I couldn't care less about TouchWiz or Sense.

They both run heavily skinned versions of android. The first thing I would do with either phone is install a stock ROM.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I love my M8, I have had it since launch week and do not regret it at all. I love the build quality and prefer sense 6 to Samsung's UI. I have used the S5 for a short time frame, and while it was a good phone it just felt like it was missing some things I have gotten used to with my M8. I really only have three complaints with the M8, 1) The camera isn't that good, 2) They decided to call the front facing camera a Selfie Camera, 3) They do not let me choose which of the quick gestures I would like to have one. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

M8 has better build quality, but S5 has better battery and cam.

I'd go M8. That aluminium body...*drool*

Also the front facing speakers would be nice if you watch a lot of media on it. I'm not a fan of the downward facing speakers on the Nexus, I actually find them worse than rear facing. At least then you can properly cup it for sound to travel forward.

I'd probably find some of the little added features their skins provide useful. The first thing I did with my Nexus was install Nova. Much, much better.

People here will rage on about the HTC One M8 because it is Linus' favorite just like with the M7. I would personally choose the Samsung S5, the M8 looks fat, especially around the edges which makes it hard to hold. And because it is aluminium it probably is really slippery. The S5 has exceptional battery life, a better camera, removable storage and the back of the device really doesn't bother me at all, it is not as ugly as people say and it has ten times the grip than that metal back of the M8 and I couldn't care less about TouchWiz or Sense.

I don't think it's because it's Linus's favorite. It's actually a fan favorite across the web, and the dislike of the Samsung product is also pretty wide spread.

Personally I don't like TouchWiz, and I find the size increase of the S4 to the S5 for an extra 0.1" of screen real estate a complete step backwards for Samsung.

They both have removable storage.

I agree with the slippery part though, one of the reasons I didn't think of getting one. That, and it's size. It's pretty huge for a 5" device. Same with the Samsung.

I won't go into the whole "ugly or not" thing because, quite frankly, everyone has different taste and it's not something that's really debatable. You like it or you don't. Period.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red