Pavlok is a habit-forming wearable that will shock you

Dietrichw

Source

pavlokgroupjt.jpg

pavlokprotolead.jpg

"Wake up sleepy head... it's time to go to the gym." "Put down those chips!" "Stop wasting time on Facebook." If any of the above statements resonate with you, then you're not alone. Maneesh Sethi, author and Stanford alumnus has said all of the above to himself at one point, and wanted to know why. Why, despite knowing the right thing to do, he kept making the wrong choices. His solution wasn't to buy a book, splash out on a personal trainer or go to a professional. Instead, Sethi investigated how humans behave; how they form habits. His research led him to invent Pavlok -- a $250 wearable he's launching later this year. One that will, literally, shock you.

Sethi explains how Pavlok works with a simple example -- the habit of waking earlier. "It sits on my wrist and at 6am it'll vibrate. I can snooze it, but if I snooze it twice, it shocks me." Essentially, it's a wristband that electrocutes you into submission action. 

It may sound draconian, but Sethi is serious about it, so much so he plans to launch Pavlok via crowdfunding in fall, and sell to a willing public by early 2015.

Pavlok isn't just about zapping you every time you skip the gym, there's a social element. By teaming up with a partner, you're forced to become more accountable to someone else, which Sethi's research suggests will make achieving them more likely. Through an app or Facebook, your buddy can see if you did your bit. In a fitness scenario, this could be whether you clocked up 10,000 steps, had a GPS pin at the gym, or logged a jog with Runkeeper. Fail to complete one of those three, and your friend gets to push the buzz-button.

ohhh..... I would not trust my friends with the buzz button

Although it would be funny to see Luke and Linus abuse this as a "review"

I prefer the one that fires electrons into your brain to improve your reaction time.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

lol things that go around your wrist are supposed to overlap wtf is that design

Agreed... what a funky design for the device.... 

I prefer the one that fires electrons into your brain to improve your reaction time.

I don't know.... would that actually be beneficial? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

lol things that go around your wrist are supposed to overlap wtf is that design

It's a (not very clever) attempt to fit the pc stuff while making seem like it's a thin wristband.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why... What's wrong with vibrating? It doesn't hurt and you feel it to.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Why... What's wrong with vibrating? It doesn't hurt and you feel it to.

Because vibration isn't a negative stimulus besides annoyance. Giving an electrical shock however is negative, it hurts and will encourage you to not do the action that caused said shock again.

I should really invest in this tbh

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Electric shocks eh. Kinky... I can imagine people putting this on their... other organs.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

sounds good,but i rather spend 250$ on other stuff.

I totally agree. 250$ for a bracelet to shock your friends is ridiculous.

I can see people using this in the wrong way to get... uhh... sexually excited?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I can see people using this in the wrong way to get... uhh... sexually excited?

pls do you even  :ph34r: