Wi-Fi Network Breaks Speed Record a.k.a WiFi on Steroids

Think your network is fast? Getting a gigagbyte-sized movie over your local wireless network to your hard drive in a few seconds is old hat. Now there's a network that can push a 2-hour, high-definition movie to a computer a mile away in less time than it takes to read a single word.

At the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany, a new record has been set: 40GB per second over a distance of about .6 of a mile. That's like sending 10 high-def feature films.

What makes this possible is a combination of better hardware and the use of higher radio frequencies, in this case, 240 gigahertz. That hardware is a set of chips developed at Karlsruhe that can process signals at higher frequencies. Higher frequencies mean smaller components, since a shorter wavelength can be picked up by a smaller antenna (which is why FM and AM radios need relatively large antennas, while Wi-Fi receivers can use small ones). These chips were only a few millimeters on a side.

The high frequencies are necessary for moving lots of data — the number of bits that can travel over the airwaves is inversely proportional to the wavelength. The shorter the wavelength, the more data that can go in a given time.

A Wi-Fi network operates at 2.4 or 5 GHz, and tens of megabytes per second is not uncommon. Smartphones on the latest networks work at frequencies somewhat below that, and it's no accident that they struggle to hit 10MB per second.

At some high frequencies moisture in the air can cause the signal to fade, but 240 GHz seems to be in a sweet spot where there's little interference from moisture. Since transmissions can go much further than a Wi-Fi router can manage, there's a possibility this type of transmitter would work well for rural areas where laying down fiber-optic cable — the gold standard of transmission speed — is too expensive to justify

Still wanna complain Linus? Its faster than optic fiber so... Google getting screwed by Germans :P

Converted, it is 320 gigabit per second, pretty damn fast I'd say for my 100 kilobit download.:P

Original Article: http://mashable.com/2013/05/17/wi-fi-speed-record/

EVEN more Original: http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/wi-fi-network-breaks-speed-record-130517.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Convertionhttps://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=gigabyte+to+gigabit&oq=gigabyte+to+gigabit&gs_l=hp.3..0l2j0i22i30l2.8499.9628.1.10031.7.5.0.2.2.0.78.330.5.5.0...0.0...1c.1.14.psy-ab.myrHljjgBQA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.cGE&fp=c075eb60171263dc&ion=1&biw=1920&bih=955

240GHZ....

thats more than wifi on steroids

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

320 GIGABITs per second?

And i thought my 200 MB/s was fast...

How's the latency vs wired though? :D. Interesting, although not really useful unless you have a hundred or so SSDs in raid 0.

Still, it might just prove that WiFi might eventually completely replace wired connections.

This isn't altogether that surprising since Radio Frequencies are just light waves that we can't see so theoretically they would move just as fast as light in a fiber set-up. In fact, light travels faster in air so as long as you can back up the signal/noise you should get faster speeds AND latency using RF (straight lines and all that jazz)... the issue is w/ RF pollution and interferance. In much the same way that 5GHz Wifi can't go quite as far in your house as 2.4GHz, imagine using 240 downtown with all those buildings.... it would be a nightmare. However, let's say you wanted to get Highspeed in a rural area (arguably the zones least likely to upgrade) it would potentially be a lot more cost effective for an ISP to run Fiber to a hub that is connected to one of these 240GHz tranceivers and broadcast to the farm houses (since running wires to someone's property that's over 1km away is rather cost prohibitive)

Also totally didn't read that last paragraph until now  so restating the article... but meh, I think that is the most valuable comment in the whole thing.

Edited by RaphYkun

But there is always the health risk

Great to know that I'm not the only one thinking that Gigabit isn't enough.

But there is always the health risk

Wi-Fi is safe to use, you are affected MUCH more by the sun's radiation than from a WLAN.

Wi-Fi is safe to use, you are affected MUCH more by the sun's radiation than from a WLAN.

yess more reason not to go outside.... i always knew that wifi had lots of potential for speed but for long distance in  highly congested areas i think fiber optics still win 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

yess more reason not to go outside.... i always knew that wifi had lots of potential for speed but for long distance in  highly congested areas i think fiber optics still win 

Not when it will be negligibly affected by interference. Having to dig or have hanging wires on poles is an inferior solution to this proposition.

Not when it will be negligibly affected by interference. Having to dig or have hanging wires on poles is an inferior solution to this proposition.

ok now saw the part where it says 240 ghz ... in that case there would be minimal interference from other devices and everything should be all good but i still see a potential problem but i think even with the problem it is still achieving those insane speeds. the issue i see is that higher frequencies are blocked more easily by solid objects so a very high gain antenna coupled with a quite powerful signal amp would be needed to penetrate solid stuff, in fact soo powerful that it may be illegal for personal use in many countries.  (could be wrong though if 240ghz also has little problems passing through solid objects)  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I think that in order for this technology to be able to cover the distances required for covering rural areas it would need huge signal amps and that is a limiting factor because the bigger the Hz the harder to propagate (usually) and the harder it is to manufacture amps and other parts to be able to carry the signal at any significant distance. Although I have to admit that it definitely sounds impressive.

(Also just a minor thing, this technology technically cannot be called Wi-Fi since Wi-Fi is actually more of a certification of devices working within specs of the IEEE 802.11 family of protocols plus some extra features like minimum security and other, so basically the article describes a WLAN technology, not quite a Wi-Fi technology.)

Those are some fast speeds. Wonder if these will interfere with mobile network signals because in my school after we had WIFI my reception was affected.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

thing is humans hav adapted to sun light all the new radiation is so new that human bodies cannot function well with them. So you will not die from it but you should think about it. Some people are so sensitive that they cannot cope with wireless signals around them and therefore have to live remote.

thing is humans hav adapted to sun light all the new radiation is so new that human bodies cannot function well with them. So you will not die from it but you should think about it. Some people are so sensitive that they cannot cope with wireless signals around them and therefore have to live remote.

Can you link some sort of study proving that Wi-Fi radiation is harmful? Because as it stands right now, those people are most likely under the placebo effect.

Yes this is good but i still prefer wired. For security and distance the data can travel.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

How's the latency vs wired though? :D. Interesting, although not really useful unless you have a hundred or so SSDs in raid 0.

Still, it might just prove that WiFi might eventually completely replace wired connections.

These speeds are comparable to the speeds at which current processors communicate with RAM, so I think you see it the wrong way. I think this could e. g. be used for 4K Ultra Crysis 3 gamestreaming with less lag than on your own pc :p

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning