AMD Tonga GPU Arriving Sometime in August

Dietrichw

Agree with the power-efficieency point, but now with the Raptr Suite AMD has a recording/streaming service too... sure it isn't neccesarly hardware implemented as Nvidia's, but it's still optimised for GCN cards.

Nah, see, I have a raspberry pi and am not willing to set up a power hungry beast to stream my games to my living room. With limelight pi, I can do that with a 5W system.

But is steam in home streaming takes off and adds support, I'm gonna be all over it

If it wasn't for gamestream, I'd seriously be looking at these things. Power efficiency is something amd really hasn't tried, and it's great that they are

That's untrue, AMD's Pitcarin is more powerful and more power efficient than GK106, Cape Verde is more powerful & more efficient than GK107 as well.

AMD's entire lineup from 2008 to 2011 was more efficient than Nvidia's. It's only recently that Nvidia have considerably improved their efficiency.

Maxwell's efficiency is also vastly over-exaggerated. The 750 Ti consumed more power than an overclocked 260X and performed exactly the same.

we found the ASUS Radeon R7 260X DC II performed identical to an ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectCU II OC for the most part, both deliver a similar level of gameplay experience. It's honestly a tossup as to the ASUS R7 260X DC II OC and the GeForce GTX 750 Ti when deciding which performed better.

1403473581gKMG4JW7uV_9_1.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/23/asus_r7_260x_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/9

Agree with the power-efficieency point, but now with the Raptr Suite AMD has a recording/streaming service too... sure it isn't neccesarly hardware implemented as Nvidia's, but it's still optimised for GCN cards.

AMD's GameDVR is in fact a hardware implementation using the on-chip display block which AMD dubs VCE.

That's untrue, AMD's Pitcarin is more powerful and more power efficient than GK106, Cape Verde is more powerful & more efficient than GK107 as well.

AMD's entire lineup from 2008 to 2011 was more efficient than Nvidia's. It's only recently that Nvidia have considerably improved their efficiency.

Maxwell's efficiency is also vastly over-exaggerated. The 750 Ti consumed more power than an overclocked 260X and performed exactly the same.

1403473581gKMG4JW7uV_9_1.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/23/asus_r7_260x_directcu_ii_oc_video_card_review/9

They're using an unlocked and power hungry variant of the 750Ti. The stock, or hell even 60% of 750Ti's never go above 60w. And it's not a good overclocker, so it makes sense that the performance doesn't scale as well.

Maxwell demolished anything else in the power category it's meant to be in.

And AMD didn't do anything to actually make power efficient cards, Nvidia just dropped the ball big time and made nuclear power plants in GPUs. This time a company actually one upped them instead of waited for them to crash.

They're using an unlocked and power hungry variant of the 750Ti. The stock, or hell even 60% of 750Ti's never go above 60w. And it's not a good overclocker, so it makes sense that the performance doesn't scale as well. Maxwell demolished anything else in the power category it's meant to be in. And AMD didn't do anything to actually make power efficient cards, Nvidia just dropped the ball big time and made nuclear power plants in GPUs. This time a company actually one upped them instead of waited for them to crash.

They've tested the bone stock reference 750 Ti.

Saying that AMD did nothing to improve power efficiency is simply false. AMD released the 7790 in Q1 2013 and it proved to be the most power efficient GPU in the market at the time.

Nvidia did an identical move to AMD with the 750 Ti, they released a power efficient card at the exact same price point & performance tier as AMD did back in 2013 with the 7790.

But Nvidia released their card 12 months later, so they had an advantage of an entire year over AMD to improve power efficiency.

They've tested the bone stock reference 750 Ti.

Saying that AMD did nothing to improve power efficiency is simply false. AMD released the 7790 in Q1 2013 and it proved to be the most power efficient GPU in the market at the time.

Nvidia did an identical move to AMD with the 750 Ti, they released a power efficient card at the exact same price point & performance tier as AMD did back in 2013 with the 7790.

But Nvidia released their card 12 months later, so they had an advantage of an entire year over AMD to improve power efficiency.

>They've tested the bone stock reference 750 Ti.

Then their numbers are pure bullshit because it literally is incapable of going over 75W, with all the overclocking you can give it, and 60W stock, yet their's is pushing 140W, even if you think that the total system power without the video card goes up. That and the R9 260X stock only uses 115W, so they're really pushing that as well.

>released the 7790 in Q1 2013 and it proved to be the most power efficient GPU in the market at the time.

Pretty much every single new GTX 80 series card is also the most power efficient because it does more under the same wattage. The 750Ti is leaps and bounds beyond anything that can run off of the PCIE slot alone, and that's why it's cool. It's the same price, same performance, but like half the power.

>They've tested the bone stock reference 750 Ti.

Then their numbers are pure bullshit because it literally is incapable of going over 75W, with all the overclocking you can give it, and 60W stock, yet their's is pushing 140W, even if you think that the total system power without the video card goes up. That and the R9 260X stock only uses 115W, so they're really pushing that as well.

>released the 7790 in Q1 2013 and it proved to be the most power efficient GPU in the market at the time.

Pretty much every single new GTX 80 series card is also the most power efficient because it does more under the same wattage. The 750Ti is leaps and bounds beyond anything that can run off of the PCIE slot alone, and that's why it's cool. It's the same price, same performance, but like half the power.

False, HD 4870 was vastly more efficient than the GTX 280, HD 5870 was humiliatingly more power efficient than the GTX 480 & the HD 6970 was more power efficient than the GTX 580.

False, 4870 was vastly more efficient than the 280, 5870 was humiliatingly more power efficient than the 480 & the 6970 was more power efficient than the 580.

Woops, I meant in the Nvidia lineup

Check this out rumoured 300 series 

GPU Codename Core Stream Processors* Texture Units* ROPs* Core Clock* Memory Clock* Memory Bus*  R9 370X Treasure Island Treasure Island XTX 1536 96 48 ~900Mhz ~5Ghz 256Bit  R9 380X Fiji Fiji XTX 3072 192 72 ~900Mhz ~6Ghz 384Bit R9 390X Bermuda Bermuda XTX 4224 264 96 ~1000Mhz ~7Ghz 512Bit

http://wccftech.com/amd-pirate-islands-r9-300-series-bermuda-fiji-treasure-islands-xtx/

Values are not indicative of the final product.

should feature the DirectX 12 Hardware feature set

im sorry, im not going to want to believe that.

Nah, see, I have a raspberry pi and am not willing to set up a power hungry beast to stream my games to my living room. With limelight pi, I can do that with a 5W system.

But is steam in home streaming takes off and adds support, I'm gonna be all over it

I meant online streaming like Twitch, sorry for being vague.  :)

Since you were talkig about the actual streaming of games over the home network, I guess Nvidia's still got th edge on that..

AMD's GameDVR is in fact a hardware implementation using the on-chip display block which AMD dubs VCE.

Oh, sorry for th mistake then!  :D

I just bought a 280... oh well

Then you have a good card, don't worry about it, it's always the same with technology... always something "new" around the corner.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

It will be interesting to see, although it's a bit depressing to see my graphics setup becoming less and less powerful in comparison to new cards :(

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Isn't tonga a dance though?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga

Tonga ([ˈtoŋa]TonganPuleʻanga Fakatuʻi ʻo Tonga), officially the Kingdom of Tonga, is a Polynesian sovereign state and archipelago comprising 176 islands with a surface area of about 750 square kilometres (290 sq mi) scattered over 700,000 square kilometres (270,000 sq mi) of the southern Pacific Ocean, of which 52 are inhabited by its 103,000 people

its a collection of islands in the pacific

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

You're thinking of tango.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Woo new cards for team red.. can't wait

or the conga dance in TF2 :D https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Conga

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

beautiful, Al Pacino is the king  ^_^

(and Viggo)  :ph34r: