What do you guys know about the Haswell platform?

Jrjy3

I was wondering what you guys knew about the Haswell platform and what will be the advantages and/or disadvantages. I haven't heard much about it, and I'm wondering if I should wait for it to come out before I build/upgrade my PC.

Well, I don't know a lot about Haswell but considering it is a new architecture means that the die will most likely shrink and will have faster clock speeds and less heat output. I thought I've heard rumors of Haswell being a "LGA 1150".

Again, rumors/assumptions you can make about it, I haven't searched anything on the subject as of yet and if you have a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPU or a Phenom/Bull Dozer CPU, there really isn't warrant for an upgrade unless the new architecture improves performance greatly.

Haswell is a 'tock' in Intel's "tick - tock" model. ( Read This if you're unsure ). So basically, it is a new architecture, running the same die size as Ivy Bridge ( 22nm ). The next die shrink will be the 'tick', or Broadwell. It will run on the new socket, 1150, requiring a new motherboard from today's 1155 standard. Generally speaking, we should see higher clock speeds, lower heat output, and lower power consumption. Release date, Q2 2013, roughly. ;)

Which CPU was the one said to be sodered to the motherboard? Haswell, Broadwell or something later down the line?

CASE: Haf 912+ CPU: i5 3570k - 4.2ghz COOLER: Hyper 212 evo MOBO: Gigabyte GA-z77x-UD5H GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Hawk RAM: Corsair xms3 4x2gb SSD: Crucial m4 64gb HDD: 2x1tb+250gb hdd SOUND: Asus Xonar dg HEADSET: Steelseries Siberia v2

Raspberry Pi XBMC

Which CPU was the one said to be sodered to the motherboard? Haswell' date=' Broadwell or something later down the line?[/quote']

I know they said that they will remain the way they are (with a removable CPU) until at least the end of 2013 (I'm not sure if they said they will be extending that into 2014). I know for sure that Haswell will be a separate piece of equipment because they have said this, but I'm not sure if Broadwell will stay independant.