Is 660ti SLI worth it?

werto165

basically my sister is away for another week, she has a 660ti, its a asus cooler, whereas mine is palit. Does this mean they'll work together(or do they have to be from the same vendor). Another question regarding SLI is when she wants the 660ti back will i have problems with my drivers due to going back to the single 660ti. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Don't do it, too much configuration for 7 days.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Well In SLI you must have the same card and brand. ( you can only SLI the same cards from the same brand ) unlike AMD's Crossfire where you can crossfire the same cards with different manufacturers ( as long as the have the same chip)

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

AFAIK, you have to have the same card and brand, like what @GrantSor+1 said.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well In SLI you must have the same card and brand. ( you can only SLI the same cards from the same brand ) unlike AMD's Crossfire where you can crossfire the same cards with different manufacturers ( as long as the have the same chip)

This is false, the cards must have the same chip, but can be of different brands for SLI.

@terrytek

It's PnP. Just put the card in and enable SLI. Disable SLI and remove it when you're done. Should take a minute to install it and 20 seconds to enable/disable. No other changes are needed except in a few older games where SLI is either not desired or needs to be manually turned on.

I'd say go for it

No..

Error: 410

Don't do it, too much configuration for 7 days.

More false info in this thread.

The config is a doddle, just slot it in, connect the power and SLI bridge and then when you boot the PC go into Nvidia control panel and enable SLI.

When you remove the card again, nothing needs to be done and nothing will go wrong, the system will just resume normal operation with one card as before.

Original thought -> I'd just get an R9 290 or a GTX 780. The price drop is making both affordable and there ain't much reason unless you can get them for cheaper else where or you just like the look of sli graphics cards.

sudden realization -> as long as they're both GTX 660 ti's they both work in sli no matter the brand. 

sli isn't that much trouble however you can just disable it in and out of a game. Or not put the sli finger however it wouldn't work in sli.

Yes, because 10 minutes out of 168 hours is too much.

It would be a lucky thing to do it that fast :3

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

This is false, the cards must have the same chip, but can be of different brands for SLI.

@terrytek

Oh, I thought it's been that the brand had to be the same. I've always seen people's builds. They use the same brand for SLI, so I assume that's the case.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I dont see why it wouldnt work if it's x2 660ti. Why would another brand make it uncompatible if it's the same gpu just from another brand?
I dont see why you would get driver issues either. i took out a gpu from my old comp and only left 1 in and i noticed no problems at all.

Redliquid~

Oh, I thought it's been that the brand had to be the same. I've always seen people's builds. They use the same brand for SLI, so I assume that's the case.

They do that because it's nice to have matching cards, not because you actually need them.

You can mix match vendors as long as they have the same GPU.

I think they're getting confused, I believe with AMD cards you can mix match ram sizes but you cannot do that with Nvidia.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

add the second card, pc's are made for learning and have fun, play with it a little bit :) watch out for the power consumption though

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

Original thought -> I'd just get an R9 290 or a GTX 780. The price drop is making both affordable and there ain't much reason unless you can get them for cheaper else where or you just like the look of sli graphics cards.

sudden realization -> as long as they're both GTX 660 ti's they both work in sli no matter the brand. 

sli isn't that much trouble however you can just disable it in and out of a game. Or not put the sli finger however it wouldn't work in sli.

He is just borrowing the card for a week, why would he want to go buy another card?

You didn't read OP properly IMO.

nope, not true, please do your research before commenting.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

He is just borrowing the card for a week, why would he want to go buy another card?

You didn't read OP properly IMO.

Yeah I did but you didn't read mine properly imo :3

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Yeah I did but you didn't read mine properly imo :3

OK then what did I miss?

Holy balls people, SLI works as long as the gpu cores are the same and have the same ram capacity, can mix vendors but that's it.

For crossfire you can mix ram and vendors and gpu cores that are within the same performance bracket, i.e. r9 280x+r9 280 would work just fine, but if there's different ram amounts in each card, then it would be locked on the lowest capacity card.

So if the other 660ti has the same amount of ram, then just grab it and sli away. Make sure your psu has ~500-600 watts of power though. I seriously doubt that it'll take that long to configure unless you're a potato @werto165

When you're done, just take it out and give it back, simple. The only problem you'll have is the disappointment of lesser graphics when returning it

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

@terrytek

Ohh sorry man.

I thought they needed to be exactly the same. Because in all SLi builds the brands are the always the same unlike crossfire builds sorry

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

OK then what did I miss?

By which I think poster didn't realize OP had both cards already to use.

I think it would be worth it to SLI. It doesn't matter the brand. You can SLI different brands together, they just have to be the same card model.  However, it usually is better if you just use the same brand. (It looks nicer too). I would try it if I were you. You would just need to install the drivers from her graphics card onto your computer and then you should be good to go. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to set the whole thing up. Just watch your temperatures. With 2 graphics cards running inside of a little box, things can get pretty hot. Have fun! Just don't be too disappointed when you have to go back to a single card :P

More false info in this thread.

The config is a doddle, just slot it in, connect the power and SLI bridge and then when you boot the PC go into Nvidia control panel and enable SLI.

When you remove the card again, nothing needs to be done and nothing will go wrong, the system will just resume normal operation with one card as before.

I just have had the derpiest moment I dont have an sli bridge...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I just have had the derpiest moment I dont have an sli bridge...

Look in the boxes of the cards and the motherboards if you have them, can come with either.