Teksyndicate's review of the Surface Pro 3 (High quality review from Wendell)

Askew

If this guy (Wendell) starts doing more of Teksyndicate's product reviews, then in my opinion the channel is going to become a lot more relevant in terms of tech reviewing.

He is smart/knowledgable and this review is very well put together and interesting, I appreciated the approach and style here and came away feeling as if I'd learned some useful things about the device from someone who knew their subject matter well.

I enjoyed it and recommend watching it.

I just finished watching this 5 minutes ago lol great review they did on it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yeah Wendell really knows his stuff, I love when he do reviews, loved his H440 review as well.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I really like Wendell's reviews, he's always spot-on and makes sure to cover all the little tidbits about whatever he is reviewing. This review is no exception.

...After watching that review I now want a Surface Pro 3. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Wendell is better at making reviews IMO than Logan. I like his style more than Logan and Linus. I kinda actually want a surface now, though the non-included keyboard is a big turn off for me.

I have a pro 2, i should have waited for the 3

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Wendell is better at making reviews IMO than Logan. I like his style more than Logan and Linus.

Logan is the reason why I unsubscribed and removed them from my recommended chanels (along with Austin Evans' chanel). Not too much of a fan of Linus, either. Luke often does a better job, IMO. So yeah, I agree with you.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

I don't get this guy. He spends a huge time complaining about resolution limitation that it can only do 4K at 30Hz. The same rant he has been pulling on the Surface Pro 2. And he states at the end, that "based on his research" (yea, if you call going on Intel website "research"), that it can only do 4K 30Hz. YEA! And 2560x1600 if you have the Y series CPU, which is what the Core i3 model of the Surface Pro 3 comes with. Also, Microsoft never said "great 4K experience", they said it can DO 4K. That is all. And to top things off, he was referring at movie work, which is 24fps 4K. or 24Hz 4K if you want. So he is bashing Microsoft, for an Intel graphic limitation, which is clearly stated on Intel website. And no point Microsoft claimed 4K 60Hz, as he claims.

And all the problems link to multiple display setup, is nothing new. Did he EVER used Intel integrated graphics? Because all laptops, ultrabooks, tablets, desktops, you name it, with Intel integrated graphics, has these issues since the longest time. Intel treats their graphics solution as "a free solution" (even though the price of it is included in the CPU), and such they don't care. The drivers are soo buggy, that you feel that the whole thing was outsourced in India or China. It affects all system. This is not a Surface Pro 3 or 2 or 1 issue.

At work, we buy GeForce 210's and now 610's, for multiple display support, because the Intel solution tend to forget its setup, it is unreliable, it causes system crashes, and wants to work when it wants to work.

So basically, he blames Microsoft, for an Intel issue.

Way to go on doing "your research"

As for Power Plans being "Balance" only. This is a limitation of the OS on Connected standby, due to the complication of Connected Standby architecture, which doesn't allow user control on power control. So yes, on battery, the wireless card will go under lowest power, as this is Windows default. If you want max performance, you need to change that.

As for the power adapter, a common complaint with it, was that the one in the Pro 2, despite small and compact, is that "it was too big", so to make it smaller, they had to forgo 2Amp support. I am not sure if something can be done, to have both (2Amp, and small, and of course charge the Surface Pro), but having the power requirement drop with Broadwell on the next generation Surface Pro, could show a possibility.

Also, more errors, The Surface Pro 2, DOES NOT have 2x USB ports. It only has 1. I know, I HAVE the freaking device.

As for claiming his review is "probably the nerdiest Surface Pro 3 review". I am sorry, you can find other reviews that goes more in depth than him. He didn't even talk about the pen to start with. He didn't even mention about the batteries on the pen, the palm rejection system and how it compares with the Pro 2, heat and fan noise, the speakers, the glass, the cameras, the microphone...

Please.

As for claiming his review is "probably the nerdiest Surface Pro 3 review". I am sorry, you can find other reviews that goes more in depth than him. He didn't even talk about the pen to start with. He didn't even mention about the batteries on the pen, the palm rejection system and how it compares with the Pro 2, heat and fan noise, the speakers, the glass, the cameras, the microphone...

Please.

I think the Anandtech review is probably the best one.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I think the Anandtech review is probably the best one.

Yea.

However for the best info on the device: Anandtech + MobileTechReview (not out yet)

Anandtech goes in more as a power demanding user, where they push the device to the max, and see how are things. Mobile Tech Review goes from a "actually using the device in real world situation" with a focus on the pen technology for artists and note takers, something that the the great majority of reviews, ignores, when it is the prime point of getting the device, else get an ultrabook.

I like Wendell a lot. He is very detail oriented and smart. His sense of humor is awesome too.

With that said I still mainly watch his reviews to see if we will ever see who he is. He is like the Bruce Wayne/Batman of tech reviews....that and his voice is so soothing. He could tell you that you have terminal cancer and you would be happy about it, and ask if he will read your eulogy at your funeral. 

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

With that said I still mainly watch his reviews to see if we will ever see who he is. He is like the Bruce Wayne/Batman of tech reviews....that and his voice is so soothing. He could tell you that you have terminal cancer and you would be happy about it, and ask if he will read your eulogy at your funeral.

No he isn't. He tries to be original, but the reality of thing is that he copies Wilson from the hugely popular TV show: Home Improvement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2grutQAl4I

Yea.

However for the best info on the device: Anandtech + MobileTechReview (not out yet)

Anandtech goes in more as a power demanding user, where they push the device to the max, and see how are things. Mobile Tech Review goes from a "actually using the device in real world situation" with a focus on the pen technology for artists and note takers, something that the the great majority of reviews, ignores, when it is the prime point of getting the device, else get an ultrabook.

Best 2 reviewers for mobile products IMO. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Wendell is very smart, this is why I wish more tech reporters had CS degrees, the review is also very good. 

-snip-

Did Wendell steal your girlfriend? Why such animosity?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

As for Power Plans being "Balance" only. This is a limitation of the OS on Connected standby, due to the complication of Connected Standby architecture, which doesn't allow user control on power control. So yes, on battery, the wireless card will go under lowest power, as this is Windows default. If you want max performance, you need to change that.

There's a ton of misconceptions out there in regards to connected standby on the pro 3.  Microsoft posted a bunch of stuff on the Windows Experience Blog that I think does a great job spelling it out for people.  Personally I love connected standby on my pro 3 and it seems to work SO much better than "power nap" on OS X.  Also the sleep study function is awesome for diagnosing what is draining your battery!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Ah yes, Dr Diaper knows his stuff and yes he actually does several reviews for ten check em out

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ah yes, Dr Diaper knows his stuff and yes he actually does several reviews for ten check em out

Dr Diaper?

Wendell is better at making reviews IMO than Logan. I like his style more than Logan and Linus. I kinda actually want a surface now, though the non-included keyboard is a big turn off for me.

I'd love to see as much stuff from Wendell as possible don't get me wrong, but for more mundane stuff like Mice, headphones and microphones and most cases, Logan does a damn good job and making things entertaining as well as informative.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dr Diaper?

They made a joke out of that a few Tek episodes back: Wendell for some reason said how his name sounds really close to diper in German (Windel) and Logan replied he should be called Mr. Diaper to which Wendell replied "Hey, that's Dr. Diaper to you!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

They made a joke out of that a few Tek episodes back: Wendell for some reason said how his name sounds really close to diper in German (Windel) and Logan replied he should be called Mr. Diaper to which Wendell replied "Hey, that's Dr. Diaper to you!"

Ok now I understand it thanks. :lol: (at first I googled dr diaper...)

snip

Well, on the point of multiple displays, he contacted microsoft and told them, and after a lengthy convo they told him it would be looked into and was now a 'known issue' as stated by his written review while it was posted on teksyndicate as a draft. Wendell looks into stuff useful for teksyndicates target audience, hence the focus on displayport, which is relevant to me and probably to many others. the displayport standard included, 1.2 since the surface pro 2, does support 4k at 60hz and so there should not be any issues running it as it was intended.

Considering pretty much every review of the surface pro or subsequent generations on the net compare it to an ipad or an ultrabook when it suits them, and switch between the two, wendell has a fresh and interesting perspective on the device. I own a surface pro and had no issues with his review. Microsoft should state what limitations there are from the get-go, I struggled to find any info from microsoft on the displayport version on my model, it took me hours to find out it was 1.1.

Can't find a video review that goes into more detail than wendells.

EDIT: Also, your argument falls down when he doesn't blame microsoft - he clearly states it's an issue with 4th generation haswell processors. How did you miss that?

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Well, on the point of multiple displays, he contacted microsoft and told them, and after a lengthy convo they told him it would be looked into and was now a 'known issue' as stated by his written review while it was posted on teksyndicate as a draft. Wendell looks into stuff useful for teksyndicates target audience, hence the focus on displayport, which is relevant to me and probably to many others. the displayport standard included, 1.2 since the surface pro 2, does support 4k at 60hz and so there should not be any issues running it as it was intended.

Considering pretty much every review of the surface pro or subsequent generations on the net compare it to an ipad or an ultrabook when it suits them, and switch between the two, wendell has a fresh and interesting perspective on the device. I own a surface pro and had no issues with his review. Microsoft should state what limitations there are from the get-go, I struggled to find any info from microsoft on the displayport version on my model, it took me hours to find out it was 1.1.

Can't find a video review that goes into more detail than wendells.

Exactly. Microsoft claims this device is the best of both worlds and can replace both a tablet and a laptop. The "nerdiest" approach means that he approaches this as a PC user who would look at this as a laptop, meaning docking and display port stuff are fair games since laptops with better GPUs that can handle 4k 60hz do exists. I think Goodbytes it's just angry that someone calls Microsoft up on their claims and points out they only kinda deliver but forgets that this is a direct product from them: Suddenly hardware choices, drivers and OS limitations are fair game and you can't just pass the buck as "Oh that's a known intel APU issue!" well no, we're not reviewing just the OS we're reviewing a finished product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

hardware choices, drivers and OS limitations are fair game

This is what was going through my mind, the hardware was selected by Microsoft to go into the device, other manufacturers select discrete graphics solutions for their products often and presumably because the integrated solution on their chosen CPU for the device was lacking in some way that required it.

I see the Dr's complaints about the display outputs being levied at MS because they must have been aware of the Intel driver issues but chose to leave the device to rely on the Intel graphics anyway.

Just my way of looking at it.