What's the best bang for my buck upgrade from a Radeon 6950?

I've been running a 6950 for a couple years now and I'm really noticing lagging behind in some games. The main 2 cards I'm looking at are the GTX770 and 780; I wouldn't be able to afford a 780 TI. Which would be the better card for the price? How much performance increase would I see? Specs in my signature.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Ti is a total waste of money and only grants you a bigger e-peen (unless youre gonna be running 4K....)

get a 770 if youre gonna stick to 1080p.

for 1440p id look into a 780

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Best bang for buck are probably the GTX 760 and the R9 270, but for a decent performance increase I'd go straight to GK110.

If that's too expensive for you, hold it until 800 series arrive. A 6950 isn't that bad.

who cares...

I'd like to wait for a GTX 870/880 but that means another like 8 months of not running newer games at ultra high. BF4 drops below 25fps in some places on low.

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

r9 290? just thought i would throw that in the mix

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

r9 290? just thought i would throw that in the mix

For a little more than that price, I could just get a 780.

I'd like to wait for a GTX 870/880 but that means another like 8 months of not running newer games at ultra high. BF4 drops below 25fps in some places on low.

You could theoretically pair your HD 6950. Since mining is dead, they should pop up really cheap on eBay. Like 50-70 USD cheap.

The performance woould be 30-80% better depending on the game but you would be sitting on two of those room heaters, and you'd have to fiddle with XFire problems. It's just an idea, i wouldn't do it but it's possible.

who cares...

But the 290 is better (~same perf + more vram). The 6950 is still a great card, so i suggest you wait for the 800 series if you want an nvidia card.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Best bang for buck are probably the GTX 760 and the R9 270, but for a decent performance increase I'd go straight to GK110.

If that's too expensive for you, hold it until 800 series arrive. A 6950 isn't that bad.

Doesn't the 6950 perform the same as a 760, maybe slightly worse?

You could theoretically pair your HD 6950. Since mining is dead, they should pop up really cheap on eBay. Like 50-70 USD cheap.

The performance woould be 30-80% better depending on the game but you would be sitting on two of those room heaters, and you'd have to fiddle with XFire problems. It's just an idea, i wouldn't do it but it's possible.

And no I really wouldn't want to be crossfiring,

ye but the r9 290 is pretty much the same performance so why spend the extra $

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

ye but the r9 290 is pretty much the same performance so why spend the extra $

Physx + lower power and heat, and depending on who you ask, better drivers.

Oh just a thought, would a 3570k (stock) bottleneck a potential 880)?

Physx + lower power and heat, and depending on who you ask, better drivers.

Just a suggestion also the heat thing is BS mine doesn't go above 80 ever but i guess if your on green team your on green team :)

|| MAELSTROM ||

Doesn't the 6950 perform the same as a 760, maybe slightly worse?

And no I really wouldn't want to be crossfiring,

The GTX 760 would perform just slightly better, but it packs a good price/performance at least on the nvidia side. I wouldn't get the GTX 770, price/performance isn't too good imo. So GTX 780 or R9 290 if you want an upgrade now.

who cares...

I would wait

and i love your signature  :D   

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Oh just a thought, would a 3570k (stock) bottleneck a potential 880)?

Just a suggestion also the heat thing is BS mine doesn't go above 80 ever but i guess if your on green team your on green team :)

It's only what I've heard. My 6950 never hits 60 with the fan at a constant 30%