How to do monitor shopping

alphabeta
Go to solution Solved by CaptainRagu,

• Higher contrast ratio makes the blacks seem blacker and the colors seem more vibrant.

How many colors it can display, as well as how easy it is to adjust colors will result in better color reproduction.

The brightness is how bright the backlight can be. This is really preference.

Lower response time is better. For normal work anything around 10 ms is fine. For gaming people look for 2-5 ms. The lower the better as you wont get image tearing and streaks. It will often say grey to grey (GTG) which is what youre looking for.

Screen size and adjustability is again preference based. If you plan on running 2 or more monitors in tandem, people will often look for monitors with slim bezels.

In my experience brand seems to play little role. Good brands will sometimes make shitty monitors and lesser known brands will sometimes have a great budget monitor. Ratings and reviews will tell you whats best.

depends on your specs.. pls list them :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I've been doing the same research as of late. I think it comes down to personal preference and what types of games you'll be playing. For FPS, general rule of thumb seems to be fast refresh rate panels (i.e. 120Hz+ TN).. also other things that will come into play are your resolution choice/monitor size and if your system can produce a high FPS rate to benefit from said 120Hz+ monitor..

However from what I've read, these fast refresh rate panels sacrifice the color gamut, meaning they aren't completely accurate when it comes to displaying colors correctly. Thus where IPS/PLS panels shine.. but they generally don't see anything above a 60Hz refresh rate (restricted due to design).

With this in mind, what types of games are you wanting to play?

What type of system are you running?

Are you wanting more vibrant colors for a more immersive experience or wanting a fluid/quick motion game experience?

I'm no expect so, for others out there, correct me if I'm wrong without too much flaming. ^-^

Depends what you want to use it for.

You might care less about color reproduction and more about response time if youre heavy into gaming and vice verse if youre doing any kind of editing.

Ive been sorting pcpartpicked by rating and going from there.

I think Linus has a video on the matter.

Depends what you want to use it for.

You might care less about color reproduction and more about response time if youre heavy into gaming and vice verse if youre doing any kind of editing.

Ive been sorting pcpartpicked by rating and going from there.

I think Linus has a video on the matter.

I've been doing the same research as of late. I think it comes down to personal preference and what types of games you'll be playing. For FPS, general rule of thumb seems to be fast refresh rate panels (i.e. 120Hz+ TN).. also other things that will come into play are your resolution choice/monitor size and if your system can produce a high FPS rate to benefit from said 120Hz+ monitor..

However from what I've read, these fast refresh rate panels sacrifice the color gamut, meaning they aren't completely accurate when it comes to displaying colors correctly. Thus where IPS/PLS panels shine.. but they generally don't see anything above a 60Hz refresh rate (restricted due to design).

With this in mind, what types of games are you wanting to play?

What type of system are you running?

Are you wanting more vibrant colors for a more immersive experience or wanting a fluid/quick motion game experience?

I'm no expect so, for others out there, correct me if I'm wrong without too much flaming. ^-^

depends on your specs.. pls list them :D

I just want to know what are the things I should look for into the monitor like Vram in GPU and cores number in CPU thing that as they goes up it's better :D

1920x1080p BTW

That's the specs em07t.jpg

• Higher contrast ratio makes the blacks seem blacker and the colors seem more vibrant.

How many colors it can display, as well as how easy it is to adjust colors will result in better color reproduction.

The brightness is how bright the backlight can be. This is really preference.

Lower response time is better. For normal work anything around 10 ms is fine. For gaming people look for 2-5 ms. The lower the better as you wont get image tearing and streaks. It will often say grey to grey (GTG) which is what youre looking for.

Screen size and adjustability is again preference based. If you plan on running 2 or more monitors in tandem, people will often look for monitors with slim bezels.

In my experience brand seems to play little role. Good brands will sometimes make shitty monitors and lesser known brands will sometimes have a great budget monitor. Ratings and reviews will tell you whats best.

I just want to know what are the things I should look for into the monitor like Vram in GPU and cores number in CPU thing that as they goes up it's better :D

1920x1080p BTW

That's the specs em07t.jpg

this will work just fine... do you have more than one 1080p monitor?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

this will work just fine... do you have more than one 1080p monitor?

I planning on buying a one 27" or 24" and I have TV. 32" I will play on the TV until I save some money for the monitor 

I planning on buying a one 27" or 24" and I have TV. 32" I will play on the TV until I save some money for the monitor 

in that case, yes these specs will be great + you will most likely to be able to max out a lot of the games you play :D

in that case, yes these specs will be great + you will most likely to be able to max out a lot of the games you play :D

What's the name of anime in you picture ?

What's the name of anime in you picture ?

i wish i knew. it was so long ago that i got this pic. i think the first day i joined the ltt community :D