Painting Windforce white

lachyman

Hey there,

I'm few days from buying a new GPU, with plans to change to white color scheme later this year, that means I will dye the GPU cooler shroud as well. I planned to buy the R9 290 with the WFX3 cooler and painting it white like this guy: http://imgur.com/a/ASXZ2, however, the shroud seems pretty compicated, a lot more compared to the ACX cooler for example. As I'm not a very experienced modder, should I get the 290 or pay up for a 780 with an ACX cooler?

And yeah, I would be using plastidip, if I f*ck something up I don't want it to be f*cked up permanently.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Hey there,

I'm few days from buying a new GPU, with plans to change to white color scheme later this year, that means I will dye the GPU cooler shroud as well. I planned to buy the R9 290 with the WFX3 cooler and painting it white like this guy: http://imgur.com/a/ASXZ2, however, the shroud seems pretty compicated, a lot more compared to the ACX cooler for example. As I'm not a very experienced modder, should I get the 290 or pay up for a 780 with an ACX cooler?

And yeah, I would be using plastidip, if I f*ck something up I don't want it to be f*cked up permanently.

you have to try to fuck up with pastidip, it's literally idiot proof

I don't know how well it would bond since it's shiny...

could always sand it down, but the Windforce finish is matte.

Error: 410

could always sand it down, but the Windforce finish is matte.

That's why I want to use it (not to say I'm an idiot - or at least I don't believe I am one).

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

If your looking to paint the GPU shroud just carefully disassemble the parts, prep and clean with some alcohol and a microfibre before plasti-dipping, If you plasti-dipping no need to sand or roughen up the surface just hang up the part and spray multiple light thin coats, with spray paint you'd want to sand or use scotch-brite before preping and cleaning with alcohol to give the paint better adhesion. 

Dye it don't use plasti dip like everyone says, this way you can actually change the color of the fans.

Dye it don't use plasti dip like everyone says, this way you can actually change the color of the fans.

I don't even want to touch the fans, I am too nooby for that, as long as they are black or clear I'm fine with them, I only want to dye the most visible parts and get a white backplate so it looks good once I get the other parts I need.

I don't even want to touch the fans, I am too nooby for that, as long as they are black or clear I'm fine with them, I only want to dye the most visible parts and get a white backplate so it looks good once I get the other parts I need.

If you plan on painting it with what ever, clean the plastic with warm water and dish soap before you do. 

MlXeOfP.jpg

This was my first attempt at painting. Taking apart the GPU can't be a problem if you take note of where screws go. Take pictures of your process for later use if you feel the taking apart if getting difficult. Lay down the screws from where they came out, making a GPU dummy on your table or such.

Best stuff in the world for not voiding your warranty :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

If you plan on painting it with what ever, clean the plastic with warm water and dish soap before you do.

MlXeOfP.jpg

This was my first attempt at painting. Taking apart the GPU can't be a problem if you take note of where screws go. Take pictures of your process for later use if you feel the taking apart if getting difficult. Lay down the screws from where they came out, making a GPU dummy on your table or such.

That one is really nice, I planned to wipe it with some isopropyl alcohol I use for cleaning thermal paste. What I wonder is how did you stick the metal stickers back - you probably took those off and wipe off the glue on the shroud. Did it stick back nicely or you had to glue it back in?

I don't know how well it would bond since it's shiny...

Paint doesn't just fall right off an unprepped surface... it just won't be very durable. If you are careful with a GPU, which you should be even if you didn't paint it, it will be just fine painting a glossy surface.

Sanding, priming, and all the extra prepping is good for something like a bike that will be abused, but way overkill for a piece of plastic you will touch for 10 seconds when installing, and likely never touch again. I promise the paint wont slide off.

That one is really nice, I planned to wipe it with some isopropyl alcohol I use for cleaning thermal paste. What I wonder is how did you stick the metal stickers back - you probably took those off and wipe off the glue on the shroud. Did it stick back nicely or you had to glue it back in?

I don't think I had to rub it off because I was careful when removing them. I didn't cover the stickers or anything, I just laid them down sticky side down on my table and leaved them alone until I put them back on. So I didn't need to use any of my own glue, as it was still very sticky.  ;)

Damn that's sexy! If only the PCB was white :c

Who was that for?  B)

I don't think I had to rub it off because I was careful when removing them. I didn't cover the stickers or anything, I just laid them down sticky side down on my table and leaved them alone until I put them back on. So I didn't need to use any of my own glue, as it was still very sticky.  ;)

Who was that for?  B)

Sounds good, though recently one popular e-tailer here started selling the 780 HOF+, priced very aggressively compared to other 780's. I wonder how that is going to look like when matched with other parts I plan to get.

How does this build look, aesthetically?

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H320 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.52 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus SABRANCO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($238.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB HOF+ Video Card  ($699.37 @ TigerDirect) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 58.1 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($36.32 @ Amazon) x7
Total: $1939.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Prices do not apply of course. I changed names of some components according to what I want/have. I will get some Bitfenix Alchemy sleeved extensions and LED strips as well.

Sounds good, though recently one popular e-tailer here started selling the 780 HOF+, priced very aggressively compared to other 780's. I wonder how that is going to look like when matched with other parts I plan to get.

How does this build look, aesthetically?

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H320 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.52 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus SABRANCO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($238.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB HOF+ Video Card  ($699.37 @ TigerDirect) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 58.1 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($36.32 @ Amazon) x7
Total: $1939.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Prices do not apply of course. I changed names of some components according to what I want/have. I will get some Bitfenix Alchemy sleeved extensions and LED strips as well.

I think it would look really nice!

Do you plan on painting the HOF's cover?

I think it would look really nice!

Do you plan on painting the HOF's cover?

Haven't thought of that yet, it's got a nice looking shroud with that metallic look to it and a brushed aluminium backplate which I on one side really like the look of, while on the other I'm not sure how it would fit the whole build. A white ACX would fit this build for sure, while requiring some work from me in dyeing the shroud and acquiring a white backplate, also using a stock PCB. HOF+ on the other head uses a custom PCB with overkill VRM and BIOS override out of which I could probably milk 1.3GHz if I wanted to. But as I said, not sure about the color scheme fit. However I gave a little tought to the backplate it has, if I put some white LED's on the roof, the backplate should reflect the light and overall look very bright, kind of like in this picture:

1131852-3.jpg

Haven't thought of that yet, it's got a nice looking shroud with that metallic look to it and a brushed aluminium backplate which I on one side really like the look of, while on the other I'm not sure how it would fit the whole build. A white ACX would fit this build for sure, while requiring some work from me in dyeing the shroud and acquiring a white backplate, also using a stock PCB. HOF+ on the other head uses a custom PCB with overkill VRM and BIOS override out of which I could probably milk 1.3GHz if I wanted to. But as I said, not sure about the color scheme fit. However I gave a little tought to the backplate it has, if I put some white LED's on the roof, the backplate should reflect the light and overall look very bright, kind of like in this picture:

1131852-3.jpg

But why would you hide the pretty white PCB?

But why would you hide the pretty white PCB?

Because it's not that pretty, I hate that yellow VRM and green stickers. And what is pretty funny, the normal HOF without the backplate and lower clocks costs almost €100 more  :lol:

Best stuff in the world for not voiding your warranty :D

Thats the best part haha. Best thing ever for computer parts