Cooler Master Novatouch TKL Topre Keyboard [It's finally here!]

I know its going to look very lame to y'all. But I still use membrane keyboard. And I use a microsoft one. The Comfort curve keyboard 3000. 
It´s not for gaming, but I have to use because of my position left hand. The curve in this still make my hand not hurt after hours of gaming. Any other keyboard I've tried made my left hand hurts like hell after in a short period of time.

I do not know if anyone have the same problem. But for me, mechanical keyboard is not a thing until they have some curve to adapt my hand. Any suggestions for me?!?!
I looked over the Logitech G13 game pad for my left hand, but I have never seen one before.

Different strokes for different folks. A tenkeyless keyboard has the benefits of being easier to transport (ie fits in more backpacks than a full size keyboard), keeps your mouse closer to your body's center so you're not overrotating your shoulder, and helps keep the desk clear! When I'm writing things like press releases, talking to community members, or creating presentations, I'm not needing a numpad :)

It's a pure performance, no bells and whistles keyboard. The switches are considered some of the highest quality keyboard switches in existence, especially for heavy use. If you want a backlight and programmable keys, then go check out the Trigger Z.

Could you explain how it feels like a money grab? We're offering a less common type of switch with unique Cherry MX keycap compatibility feature and its pricing is on-par with pretty much the only TKL keyboard with the same base-switch type (albeit no Cherry stem!)

Need a numpad but still don't want the frills? Quickfire XT can help you out. Like the TKL but want backlighting? Check out the Rapid-i. Need full size, macros, and backlighting? We have the Trigger Z for you. If you want the best feeling and best performing keyboard out there, that's where NovaTouch steps in.

Hi there CM Norumu. It's always nice to see companies reading feedback. I hope you noted that I also really like some of the features you implemented. The main things I don't like tough: 

• Lack of a numpad. I like the TKL formfactor, truly, but you described this keyboard as perfect for typists and the lack of a numpad just doesn't fit that description in my book. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe people don't care for numpads anymore but for now, I'm sticking to my view. 
  • The casing is the same one as the Rapid-i. which I actually don't mind. I like how it looks. A design with slim borders and not overly-stylized is right up my alley. But the fact that you saved some money in the production process isn't reflected in the price. That leads me to my third complaint. 
  • Price. I get that the Topre switch has more components and requires more resources to manufacture, but for 200$ I expect a full sized keyboard at least. I don't want any colorful LEDs or dedicated media keys or flashy fonts or anything like that. I like the no-nonsense design. But for that kind of money you can at least give us a full sized keyboard. 

So maybe "money-grab" was a bit harsh, I'll admit that, I certainly didn't mean to offend since I'm generally a fan of CoolerMaster but I hope you understand my complaints.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

"Typists" use the numrow not the numpad. Also the switch is aimed at them, not necessarily this keyboard.

They're talking about the switches not necessarily that board. Another place where these are used a bunch is like airline checking desks. Basically any place you need a super dead on reliable keyboard.

Yeah man, I get that, but the switch is on the board. Topre switches on a Razer Orbweaver wouldn't make much sense (exaggerated example). :P

Your airline checking desk example works well for me actually. They use the numpad a lot to calculate price discounts and whatnot.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

Hi there CM Norumu. It's always nice to see companies reading feedback. I hope you noted that I also like some of the features you implemented. The main things I don't like tough: 

• Lack of a numpad. I like the TKL formfactor, truly, but you described this keyboard as perfect for typists and the lack of a numpad just doesn't fit that description in my book. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe people don't care for numpads anymore but for now, I'm sticking to my view. 
  • The casing is the same one as the Rapid-i. which I actually don't mind. I like how it looks. A design with slim borders and not overly-stylized is right up my alley. But the fact that you saved some money in the production process doesn't reflect in the price. That leads me to my third complaint. 
  • Price. I get that the Topre switch has more components and requires more resources to manufacture, but for 200$ I expect a full sized keyboard at least. I don't want any colorful LEDs or dedicated media keys or flashy fonts or anything like that. I like the no-nonsense design. But for that kind of money you can at least give us a full sized keyboard. 

So maybe "money-grab" was a bit harsh, I'll admit that, I certainly didn't mean to offend since I'm generally a fan of CoolerMaster but I hope you understand my complaints.

For the TKL structure: It's all preference. Can't argue preferences. :)

Casing is relatively cheap, it's not where money goes. It's the switches.

To compare price: Here's a Realforce 87U. It has backlighting, but with typical topre switches and an overall bulkier frame. Note the listed sale price. NovaTouch is in the same price range with a slimmer design and the exclusively unique Cherry keycap compatibility.

Cooler Master USA representing! Looking for help? Head to the CM Fanzone to get in touch with the Customer Support team!

The one critique I still have about the Novatouch (and well, most of the quickfire keyboards) is the lack of media keys... I love my Quickfire Rapid, but I'd really love to have dedicated media keys, which is why I actually went for a K70 as my other keyboard -- although I have to say I really miss the TKL form factor....

/Before anyone says K65, it didn't have a backlight at the time, so it wasn't an option.

Dedicated media keys are kinda a waste when you can just throw then in a layer. May I as why you want specifically dedicated ones so badly?

Dedicated media keys are kinda a waste when you can just throw then in a layer. May I as why you want specifically dedicated ones so badly?

Because I often need the function keys as actual function keys, so I want the default function key be a function key and not its secondary function, and permanently reassigning unused function keys to be media keys doesn't always work perfectly.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

-snip-

It's a pure performance, no bells and whistles keyboard. The switches are considered some of the highest quality keyboard switches in existence, especially for heavy use. If you want a backlight and programmable keys, then go check out the Trigger Z.

-snip-

Would you consider making it fully programmable? The main reason I left topre (had 3 boards) was that once I got used to programming my own layout with embedded arrows I couldn't go back. I though you one keyboard with the metal top had this feature.

I know its going to look very lame to y'all. But I still use membrane keyboard. And I use a microsoft one. The Comfort curve keyboard 3000.

It´s not for gaming, but I have to use because of my position left hand. The curve in this still make my hand not hurt after hours of gaming. Any other keyboard I've tried made my left hand hurts like hell after in a short period of time.

I do not know if anyone have the same problem. But for me, mechanical keyboard is not a thing until they have some curve to adapt my hand. Any suggestions for me?!?!

I looked over the Logitech G13 game pad for my left hand, but I have never seen one before.

Razer Orbweaver specifically for gaming.

More keyboards? What is this, Tek Syndicate?  :P

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

More keyboards? What is this, Tek Syndicate? :P

There can never be too many keyboards I'm afraid to say.

That keyboard costs more than my GPU (Not the best of GPUs obviously) AND is missing the Number pad? While still not back-lit, no programmable buttons, and,  having to press a function key for media buttons. I've not yet used this keyboard but unless It gives my fingers the best massage I've ever experienced, I plan on staying away from this thing...

Welcome to the new age of keyboards

I would have to disagree. Dedicated media keys are a must for any keyboard I plan to purchase. I use them everyday and having to hold down the Fn button to press one is an unnecessary inconvenience IMO. My $5 Dynex keyboard has like 37 media keys lol so I've become accustomed to having them around. Oddly enough I have a calculator shortcut key as well that I use quite often.

What I want in a mechanical keyboard is this:

1) Dedicated media keys

2) Full size

3) One or two programmable keys (so I don't lose my calculator key)

4) Cherry MX switches

5) Not ridiculously marked up in price (I'm not spending $150+ on a keyboard)

I Appreciate the community interaction and the way you respond to feedback about your products. I know this keyboard is designed to do a specific job. That job being comfortable precision typing... However, software doesn't exactly cost as much as switches (to make macro commands and shortcuts) and LEDs are cheap. I'm just not used to seeing conservative designs from CM. I Still think having the extra keys is a huge turn-off for legit typists. If extreme speed is your thing, having to hit shift to type + will take longer than just hitting the + symbol. I personally would want dedicated media keys for the same reason. Having to hit the fn key + other keys is more cumbersome than just tapping a volume down key.

Just some constructive criticism from my personal view. I'm sure there will be others that totally disagree with me.

(off topic)

If portability is your aim, ever considered/tried collapsible/fold-able keyboards?

Not sure why all the hate over it being a ten-keyless keyboard. If you don't like it, don't criticize it for not being your cup of tea. I've exclusively switched to a ten keyless keyboard over the past few years at home and love the smaller form factor and closer mouse position - all at the sacrifice of a numpad which I'm not using nearly as much at home as I do at work. If this was a keyboard for work I absolutely would need a numpad but I'm not at work right now, I don't need the numpad and a proper typist can use the number row relatively effectively.

Looks like a great keyboard, love the subtle branding on the keyboard - love companies who don't feel the need to blaster their logo all over the place.

Looks like a great keyboard, love the subtle branding on the keyboard - love companies who don't feel the need to blaster their logo all over the place.

Couldn't agree with this more.

I hope if CM sells plenty of the Novatouch boards, they can offer up availability in the TK form-factor as well as full size and even 55g Topre's.  :3

I Appreciate the community interaction and the way you respond to feedback about your products. I know this keyboard is designed to do a specific job. That job being comfortable precision typing... However, software doesn't exactly cost as much as switches (to make macro commands and shortcuts) and LEDs are cheap. I'm just not used to seeing conservative designs from CM. I Still think having the extra keys is a huge turn-off for legit typists. If extreme speed is your thing, having to hit shift to type + will take longer than just hitting the + symbol. I personally would want dedicated media keys for the same reason. Having to hit the fn key + other keys is more cumbersome than just tapping a volume down key.

Just some constructive criticism from my personal view. I'm sure there will be others that totally disagree with me.

(off topic)

If portability is your aim, ever considered/tried collapsible/fold-able keyboards?

Happy to provide clarity where I can. Here's some more for you!

Macro Commands - It's not just a matter of whipping up software to magically make a keyboard programmable. Macro keys require processing and memory hardware in some way, typically on the keyboard so that the macro keys can stay stored while the computer is off or keyboard is unplugged. That means designing a circuit board that can fit and properly route the signal for this hardware as well, which means redesigning the keyboard from the ground up. The frame may have to change as well, pending on the layout and hardware you're putting in. Then, also, software development has costs as well, especially doing it well :)

LED Backlighting - You're right, LEDs themselves are cheap. But, much like above, including LEDs requires more wiring designs and layouts. Also, Topre and NovaTouch switches aren't really the best for LED mounting due to their design. In a Cherry MX switch, there is room virtually on the switch itself for an LED to sit and be nearly centered under a keycap. Since the Cherry is an entirely mechanical system, it's easy to just run the wire down from the center of the key and onto the circuit board, allowing easily parallel trace wires to be run in the board design. Topre and NovaTouch, however, are hybrid mechanical and capacitive switches. The mechanism works mechanically, but the actual triggering itself is a capacitive system, which means you can't be running an LED wire right down the middle through the capacitive system. Also, these switches take up more space under the key without space for an LED to rest, so effective placement is even harder. Topre boards with backlighting typically have LED holes in the corners of the keys, which isn't always ideal as it makes the key lettering dimmer compared to the Cherry center-mount, and is prone to a lot more light bleeding from those corners.

As for "legit typists", they come in all forms, including your preferences above. For counter exampling, in my descriptions here, I haven't needed to press the + symbol at all (until now for this example). TKL works just fine for this and many more hours of typing like this. Besides, plenty of people are home row typists and pulling away to the end of a keyboard for the Plus sign when they can keep their hand placement and do the same with Shift + works as well :)

Dedicated media keys can be nice, but are also personal preference and dependent on the setup. For example, on my home machine, I never touch the Windows/system volume control. Instead, my speaker setup has a volume control knob that I use. That same control station has a headphone jack, so even when I have headphones on, I just use that same knob. For the controls of Play, Stop, etc, I have no problem one handing those controls. Just a matter of familiarization.

I hope that offered you some insight to what you're asking as well as some entirely legitimate counter examples that folks have that we always have to weigh in on as well.

Cooler Master USA representing! Looking for help? Head to the CM Fanzone to get in touch with the Customer Support team!

is there any keyboards similar to this one. same size, same style. (but not as expensive!!)

is there any keyboards similar to this one. same size, same style. (but not as expensive!!)

CM Storm rapid i

throw them in a layer???

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

throw them in a layer???

Yep like hold fn key press other key. That would be called the fn layer and it on most laptops and many keyboards.

oh i gotcha lol i had a brain fart haha i know what your talking about

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Is there a manufacturer that makes a matched numpad for their 10keyless, other than this atrocity? Seriously, this thing looks worse than post op Lindsay Lohan.

For the size of the keyboard itself, it may as well be a full-sized keyboard.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

"Now available at a more affordable price"

$199

hhhhHHAHHHhhh

Never interested in them anyways, but if this is their idea of competitive pricing,  <_< 

• 2 months later...

I want this keyboard so badly.

zw2AHo7.png

My swag in GNU Fortran.

integer :: swag_level = 9999

I am a Free Software Developer. I run Trisquel GNU/Linux and I love Python, Fortran, GNU Modula, C and Lisp.