What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia

Ok then 1 more thing How do you feel about apple's warranty services compared to their competitors? 

22 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I have to call people out on the port argument, ok they could have had some legacy ports. But Apple got trashed by PC users for going USB-C, but now every time a PC laptop comes out that doesn't have USB-C people are like "Wheres the USB-C". Even @LinusTech asked where USB-C was on I think one of the Microsoft Surface products.

Well, Apple's never been shy about "forcing" everyone on board a new interface.

1 minute ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Ok then 1 more thing How do you feel about apple's warranty services compared to their competitors? 

Probably the same as anything else with regards to the types of service and their cost, if any.

The only difference is Apple has a physical presence that people can walk in to and get their device fixed, replaced, etc. Anyone else you either have to have technician come to your place or mail it over and hope for the best.

49 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're right, it is there fault and it's why I wouldn't recommend the Mac right now.....but that still doesn't make it an overpriced product, just one that needs to be updated, and there is a big difference between the two. And lets not even pretend like this exact discussion didn't happen before Coffee Lake when prices were exactly the same. It's the same nonsense as before. The point is that Apple products aren't overpriced in general -- some are, some aren't.

Also, it's cheaper in the US. It's more expensive in the US. Again, you're trying to make a generalization true when it's not. 

The Note is cheaper by a whole $70 when talking about $1000~ phones, that's an irrelevant difference, and they each have their own advantages. The Note has the pen and a bigger screen, the iPhone has dual cameras and a better SoC. Compared to the Note 8, it's not overpriced....I don't see you bitching about Samsung being overpriced -- oh, that's right, I forgot, that's not how this works; Apple is evil and everyone else is a saint. News flash, everyone pulls the same shit. 

And yes, there are other phones, but then again, there are also other iPhones. The iPhone is overpriced compared to budget contenders like Huawei and OP, but so are all flagship phones. Ultrabooks are also overpriced when compared to desktops or more traditional laptops. There's always a premium for the top end of any product stack regardless of the company producing the product. Apple isn't unique in this regard. 

You don't see me bitching about Samsung because this is a thread about Apple, but I actually think Samsung is ok, I paid £240 for an S8 so yeah deals on point, don't see those on Apple phones. 

For you it may not be overpriced but for me paying a few hundred more for an old chipset is overpriced, especially at this time when most people have started college/uni a few months ago and may need a laptops, this logic applies to professionals too, nobody wants to be slowed down because they have are slow at upgrading their products.

People who think being behind on upgrading the hardware in products are just casual users.

8 minutes ago, said:

You don't see me bitching about Samsung because this is a thread about Apple, but I actually think Samsung is ok, I paid £240 for an S8 so yeah deals on point, don't see those on Apple phones. 

You do realize that most of those deals aren't from Samsung but rather from retailers/cell phone providers taking a loss to get you to buy those phones. Deals exist for iPhones under the same conditions (usually not quite as good though). But, that also leads to lower resale values which make up for the up front cost difference. 

For you it may not be overpriced but for me paying a few hundred more for an old chipset is overpriced, especially at this time when most people have started college/uni a few months ago and may need a laptops, this logic applies to professionals too, nobody wants to be slowed down because they have are slow at upgrading their products.

People who think being behind on upgrading the hardware in products are just casual users.

There's a big difference between being overpriced and being a bad choice at the time. Overpriced (especially in the context of all your posts) implies that Apple has the audacity to charge more than other companies for the same products -- which is clearly not true since the 13" MBP was competitive with the XPS 13 before it was upgraded to Coffee Lake. The only generalization one can make about Apple is that they're slow to update, which, at times, can put their hardware at a severe disadvantage. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You do realize that most of those deals aren't from Samsung but rather from retailers/cell phone providers taking a loss to get you to buy those phones. Deals exist for iPhones under the same conditions. Plus, that also leads to significantly lower resale values. 

There's a big difference between being overpriced and being a bad choice at the time. Overpriced (especially in the context of all your posts) implies that Apple has the audacity to charge more than other companies for the same products -- which is clearly not true since the 13" MBP was competitive with the XPS 13 before it was upgraded to Coffee Lake. The only generalization one can make about Apple is that they're slow to update, which, at times, can put their hardware at a severe disadvantage. 

Never seen a good deal on an iPhone. Plus if you're wealthy enough to pay close to a grand for a phone, you're not really gonna care about the resale value.

As to your second point, if their hardware is ageing they should discount it, just like Dell did with their 7th gen XPS, an I7 for £999.99. 

You're just digging a deeper pit, really couldn't have picked the worst company to compare Apple too.

Because their computer's are absolute shit now. Even though I never liked Macs, I used to at least respect them as a solid product. They just suck for the absurd amount on money you're paying.

Iphone is still a really solid product. Though for many reasons I would never want to use one, but that's just me.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

5 minutes ago, said:

Never seen a good deal on an iPhone. Plus if you're wealthy enough to pay close to a grand for a phone, you're not really gonna care about the resale value.

As to your second point, if their hardware is ageing they should discount it, just like Dell did with their 7th gen XPS, an I7 for £999.99. 

You're just digging a deeper pit, really couldn't have picked the worst company to compare Apple too.

$300 off the 7,7+,8,8+, and X were common on Black Friday, just a week or so ago. And that's definitely not universally true, plus in the US most people are paying monthly for the phone -- so most people aren't paying $1000 for the X, they're paying $40~ month. A lot of people resell their iPhones when they get a new phone, so resale value is definitely a factor. 

Their older 7th gen XPS is more expensive then the current MBP. It's $1400 for an i5-7200u, 3200x1800, 128gb, 8gb compared to $1300 for the 13" MBP with an i5-7360u, 2560x1440, 128gb, 8gb.

I'm the digging the deeper pit, and yet you're blaming Apple for not discounting their outdated Macs but praising Dell for discounting their outdated XPS 13, even though the Dell is actually more expensive.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

$300 off the 7,7+,8,8+, and X were common on Black Friday, just a week or so ago. And that's definitely not universally true, plus in the US most people are paying monthly for the phone -- so most people aren't paying $1000 for the X, they're paying $40~ month. A lot of people resell their iPhones when they get a new phone, so resale value is definitely a factor. 

Their older 7th gen XPS is more expensive then the current MBP. It's $1400 for an i5-7200u, 3200x1800, 128gb, 8gb compared to $1300 for the 13" MBP with an i5-7360u, 2560x1440, 128gb, 8gb.

I'm the digging the deeper pit, and yet you're blaming Apple for not discounting their outdated Macs but praising Dell for discounting their outdated XPS 13, even though the Dell is actually more expensive.

The 7th gen XPS is £999.99 where are you getting your numbers from? 

I7 7500U

Edited by <Aleks>

1 minute ago, said:

The 7th gen XPS is £999.99 where are you getting your numbers from? 

With a 1080p display; the >1080p display is an extra $350.

Pulled from Dell.com and Apple.com respectively.5a28673cdeada_ScreenShot2017-12-06at3_54_31PM.thumb.png.262499b7a625d0fd101dd1b2e711c8ca.png

5a28673ba8159_ScreenShot2017-12-06at3_53_10PM.png.6fef51f12b1ad45b7e0a80437e36b597.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You do realize that most of those deals aren't from Samsung but rather from retailers/cell phone providers taking a loss to get you to buy those phones. Deals exist for iPhones under the same conditions (usually not quite as good though). But, that also leads to lower resale values which make up for the up front cost difference. 

At least in Canada, it's extremely rare (and I do mean like even less than 1%) you'll see iPhones being sold at discount. My carrier is still selling the iPhone 6 at $500. A phone that old with 1GB of RAM will probably last only about a year before it's virtually unusable for the things people do. Only with a data plan do you get it for free. And that's a $60/ month contract with only 500MB of data. For the 6S, it's a minimum $95/ month plan with a $129 up front cost for the phone. If you want an iPhone X, same plan, just pay an extra $800 upfront. That's how expensive iPhones are here up in the great white north.

With Android, discounts are common. I just picked up my Galaxy A5 (2017) for free with just a talk and text plan ($25/ month). Both the Galaxy A5, iPhone 6, and iPhone SE cost around $500 without contract. Why don't these outdate iPhones ever carry a sweet deal? I have no clue. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

With a 1920x1080p display. 

Pulled from Dell.com and Apple.com respectively.5a28673cdeada_ScreenShot2017-12-06at3_54_31PM.thumb.png.262499b7a625d0fd101dd1b2e711c8ca.png

5a28673ba8159_ScreenShot2017-12-06at3_53_10PM.png.6fef51f12b1ad45b7e0a80437e36b597.png

That may be the case in your country, we have these things called different currencies. What is more expensive for you may not be for the rest of the world.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

That may be the case in your country, we have these things called different currencies. What is more expensive for you may not be for the rest of the world.

Ohhhh, so you mean to tell me that Apple isn't always overpriced. Huh, now who was it that was saying that generalizations are asinine? Oh, was that me?....Hmmmm

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ohhhh, so you mean to tell me that Apple isn't always overpriced. Huh, now who was it that was saying that generalizations are asinine? Oh, was that me?....Hmmmm

For people in my country, it's still £150 more expensive. I don't understand your argument here.

6 minutes ago, said:

For people in my country, it's still £150 more expensive. I don't understand your argument here.

My point is, and always has been, that generalizations about Apple being overpriced are down right wrong.

And you're also looking at sale prices because the cheapest XPS 13 on Dell's UK site is £1,099.00 and is running Ubuntu (and has a 1080p display).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, said:

Macbook Pro cost £1.250.00 and Dell XPS £1.150.00 Same amount of ram and storage yet the dell is cheaper and used 8th gen intel chips compared to 7th gen intel chips in the macbook.

Pfftttt, do people actually buy products directly from the Manufacturer when its cheaper from a retail store, permanently? 

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-space-grey-2017-10165801-pdt.html

https://www.johnlewis.com/2017-apple-macbook-pro-13-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-intel-iris-plus-graphics-640/p3082381?colour=Silver (I understand its out of stock but just wanted to state the pricing...)

6 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

The 7th gen XPS is £999.99 

I7 7500U

And a 2016 MBP13 256GB costed £1050-1150 (depends where you were looking at) back in the summer and when the 2017 model came out for a while btw ;).

8 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

where are you getting your numbers from? 

Probably the US as he's using dollars...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

My point is, and always has been, that generalizations about Apple being overpriced are down right wrong. 

So having to pay £150 probably another £20-40 for dongles thanks to the lack of IO, for last generations chipset isn't overpriced when you can have this gen for less.?

Just now, said:

So having to pay £150 probably another £20-40 for dongles thanks to the lack of IO, for last generations chipset isn't overpriced when you can have this gen for less.?

I like the constant goalpost shifting, it's really nice. Try picking an argument and sticking with it rather than jumping around when it doesn't work out for you.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Pfftttt, do people actually buy products directly from the Manufacturer when its cheaper from a retail store, permanently? 

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-space-grey-2017-10165801-pdt.html

https://www.johnlewis.com/2017-apple-macbook-pro-13-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-intel-iris-plus-graphics-640/p3082381?colour=Silver (I understand its out of stock but just wanted to state the pricing...)

And a 2016 MBP13 256GB costed £1050-1150 (depends where you were looking at) back in the summer and when the 2017 model came out for a while btw ;).

Probably the US as he's using dollars...

I agree with getting most numbers from a retail store but in my case, my pc world sells the MacBook for the same as apple, but the bundle it with some useless shit. 

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

At least in Canada, it's extremely rare (and I do mean like even less than 1%) you'll see iPhones being sold at discount. My carrier is still selling the iPhone 6 at $500. A phone that old with 1GB of RAM will probably last only about a year before it's virtually unusable for the things people do. Only with a data plan do you get it for free. And that's a $60/ month contract with only 500MB of data. For the 6S, it's a minimum $95/ month plan with a $129 up front cost for the phone. If you want an iPhone X, same plan, just pay an extra $800 upfront. That's how expensive iPhones are here up in the great white north.

With Android, discounts are common. I just picked up my Galaxy A5 (2017) for free with just a talk and text plan ($25/ month). Both the Galaxy A5, iPhone 6, and iPhone SE cost around $500 without contract. Why don't these outdate iPhones ever carry a sweet deal? I have no clue. 

Given this is Samsung, I'm pretty sure that phone will also be "unusable" due to lack of support within a year or so.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I like the constant goalpost shifting, it's really nice. Try picking an argument and sticking with it rather than jumping around when it doesn't work out for you.

You picked Dell to compare to, my point since the start is that they are £150 more than the MacBook justing an older generation of chips. Are you drunk?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Given this is Samsung, I'm pretty sure that phone will also be "unusable" due to lack of support within a year or so.

At least the hardware itself is still not obsolete by then. With android there are ways (i.e custom ROMs). With Apple, you're pretty much stuffed. Snapchat straight up does not work on my iPhone 4, even though the app does support iOS 7.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, <Aleks> said:

I agree with getting most numbers from a retail store but in my case, my pc world sells the MacBook for the same as apple, but the bundle it with some useless shit. 

PC world price matches and dayummmm, the employees at your retail store aren't nice...the reps I have at the store I go to always gives us the cheapest price on the system :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

PC world price matches and dayummmm, the employees at your retail store aren't nice...the reps I have at the store I go to always gives us the cheapest price on the system :P 

My PC World is utter shit, they tried to sell me a £400 Intel Atom laptop because they said the £200 HP Pavilion wasn't in stock, I go home look online and surprise surprise it's in stock available for pick up, I went to pick it up and see them feeding bullshit to an old couple, that they "need" to buy an anti-virus for their need laptop, I went up to them and informed them that it's total bullshit and they went to buy it from Argos lol.

12 minutes ago, said:

You picked Dell to compare to, my point since the start is that they are £150 more than the MacBook justing an older generation of chips. Are you drunk?

No, your point from the get go is that Apple products are all overpriced, which they aren't, they're just slow to be updated and not always the best choice -- which is still a very different thing from being overpriced.

2 hours ago, said:

Which Apple product isn't overpriced compared to the competition? 

And then you shifted to the fact that Apple should at least discount their outdated lineup like Dell did, and yet, Dell's "discounted" lineup isn't universally cheaper. Nor does their even exist a £999.99 XPS 13 on Dell's UK site (£1099.00 is the cheapest available option and isn't running Windows and has a 1080p display). Not to mention the fact that in the US, the Mac is cheaper than the "discounted" 7th gen XPS, but Apple is still always overpriced. Generalizations are shit and need to stop being made.

35 minutes ago, said:

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler