HZXT Hue + Bitfenix LED strips!

Enderman

Welcome to my mostly successful mod of the NZXT Hue RGB lighting controller.

First I will give you guys a short story of how I got here:

I wanted to have pure white lighting in my case to fit my white colour scheme. The problem was that I also wanted to be able to turn off the lighting because my PC is on 24/7 in my bedroom, and the light would be extremely bright at night and not let me sleep. So some sort of control was needed. First I tried the NZXT sleeved LED kit:

white-led.jpg

It was controlled by a simple 3 brightness level switch in one of the PCI expansions slots. It was very cheap quality, and difficult to position the LEDs so they would light in the right direction. The controls were really cheap too, and the brightness flickered after a while because of the switch. Then I bought the NZXT Hue:

hue_01.jpg

It is an RGB controller and as I expected, the 'white' was a bad mix of red, green and blue. I tweaked the levels of each colour as much as I could but I could not get it to a perfect white. Then I decided to buy some Bitfenix Alchemy white LED strips which are regular white LEDs, just what I needed, but they connect to molex power so they are on whenever the PC is powered on:

466.png?0

So after seeing the connector in the product pictures, it looks EXACTLY the same as the connector on the Hue LED strip! But how? The Bitfenix strip is only 1 type of LEDs white the Hue LED strip is 3 leds(red, green, and blue). I decided to try it myself because nobody else on the internet has done this before. I had no tutorials or instructions to follow. So here is what I did:

First I connected the Bitfenix LED strip to the NZXT Hue controller and turned the Red knob. SUCCESS it turned on! Then I turned the Green knob, and it also turned on! Then I turned the Blue knob...

Sparks and smoke started flying out of the NZXT Hue controller and everything smelled burnt. I immediately turned the Blue knob to 0 and removed the Hue from my PC. This is what I found:

post-4438-0-34871200-1402802172_thumb.jp

As you can see, one of the components got completely fried. BUT the Hue still worked! (mostly) The Blue no longer works on the LED strip, and the blue LED in the controller is always on. But the Red and Green still work properly. After some testing with the multimeter I found that the two outside pins on the Bitfenix LED strip are actually bridged, and so are the two inner pins. When I turned on the Blue on the Hue controller it actually send power down on the of outside cables, while the ground is the other outside cable. So by turning on the Blue it shorted itself out. I should have tested this with a multimeter earlier...this is what allows the Bitfenix strip to be plugged in with no worry about polarity. So what I did was cut the Blue wire coming from the Hue, so that I would never accidentally short it out again and risk starting a fire. This is what it looks like after I cut the blue wire and removed the pin:

post-4438-0-87756800-1402802538_thumb.jp

Now both Red and Green knobs on the Hue control the brightness of the strip, and can turn it on and off at the press of a button. This concludes that it is possible to use the Hue to control Bitfenix Alchemy LED strips as long as you never turn Blue on. (the cycle button will also turn it on and wreck your Hue) My recommendation is that you cut the Blue wire so that there is 0% chance of you accidentally frying your NZXT Hue. Here are some pictures of my PC with white Bitfenix strips (I put 2 in my PC):

post-4438-0-66030800-1402802936_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-34314500-1402802965_thumb.jp

post-4438-0-90653200-1402802987_thumb.jp

PS I need to figure out the white balance on my camera. IRL it is pure white light :)

Thanks for reading! I will be uploading a video to my youtube channel soon as a video tutorial of how to do this. If you have any questions just let me know :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Too bad my Bitfenix strip shorted itself without any help from a controller, and it kinda started the snowballing and the ultimate downfall of my motherboard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Too bad my Bitfenix strip shorted itself without any help from a controller, and it kinda started the snowballing and the ultimate downfall of my motherboard.

Lol sorry about that :(

My bitfenix strips did not short, the Hue did because of the way the bitfenix strip is wired inside...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

that sub doe

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Lol sorry about that :(

My bitfenix strips did not short, the Hue did because of the way the bitfenix strip is wired inside...

Lucky.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 7 months later...

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I love this idea. Are you able to set the brightness level of the LEDs with this controller? Is it like a fade switch so to speak where you can dial in the birghtness level? Lastly, how has you experience been in the long term and have they shorted out at all?

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I love this idea. Are you able to set the brightness level of the LEDs with this controller? Is it like a fade switch so to speak where you can dial in the birghtness level? Lastly, how has you experience been in the long term and have they shorted out at all?

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Yes you can change the brightness of each LED colour almost perfectly from 0 to 100%

And you can also change the brightness of all LEDs together with 5 different brightness levels.

My experience was great. No LED failures. Only problem was that one time I tightened a zip tie on the LED strip, which caused part of the strip to not light up. Removing the zip tie fixed this.

Basically the strip was not on a flat surface, and the zip tie was bending it around a metal rod (bending it horizontally, not the normal vertical bending which is fine)

The LED strip still works. My Hue controller no longer works to control the blue LEDs because I shorted it myself when modding it. This was completely my fault, not the product. Luckily the other two colours are on separate "channels" so even though blue doesnt work, red and green are still good.

Spoiler

Thanks for the quick reply. This seems like a great solution for anyone wanting bitfenix white LEDs(very bright) with the ability to make adjustments as needed. So as per your experience, I simply need to cut the blue wire to avoid any disasters?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply. This seems like a great solution for anyone wanting bitfenix white LEDs(very bright) with the ability to make adjustments as needed. So as per your experience, I simply need to cut the blue wire to avoid any disasters?

Thanks again!

Yeah, you dont want the blue wire connected if you are using any non-RGB LED strips. Turning blue on with the bitfenix LED strip connected is what will short it.

Don't just cut the wire, but cut a small length out of the wire, like 5mm or something, so that there is no chance of the two ends touching. Just to be safe :)

cutting:                       ------- --------

cutting a piece out:    -----        ----

Then as a second safety measure, always leave the "blue" colour knob at 0

Spoiler

Man you have been so helpful. Your pics and pc look great. I will be doing this in a corsair 760t white. I really appreciate it and have a great day!

Man you have been so helpful. Your pics and pc look great. I will be doing this in a corsair 760t white. I really appreciate it and have a great day!

You're welcome :)

Good luck!

Spoiler

I need to get the NZXT HUE, I keep getting requests to make my LED strips compatible, which I cannot do without having one.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.