"Water Cooled" Phone, anyone?

I came across this article while I was supposed to be revising:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4332856/nec-water-cooled-ladyphone-medias-x-06e

I'm not entirely sure that I'd call it water cooling; the article says that it's a heat pipe which contains water, so I'm not sure it counts. Then again, it's still a pretty neat cooling solution for a phone.

Phones don't get too uncomfortably hot anyways and besides what are you won't see any real world benefit with that extra bit of overclock. Besides won't it add like extra weight which would make it uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time?

Anyways it's a cool idea lol and thanks for sharing :)

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

If its just a heat pipe, I think they would use the same ammonia chemical that they use for the heatpipes used in air cooling, rather than actual water

Its pretty cool (pun intended), may be they can overclock the cpu if they were cooled better.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

awesome but why push it as a ladies phone looks decent to me something a dude can use personally i would

Phones don't get too uncomfortably hot anyways and besides what are you won't see any real world benefit with that extra bit of overclock. Besides won't it add like extra weight which would make it uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time?

+1 Though my phone gets as hot as a heater sometimes! :D

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Pretty useless considering phones don't get that hot. But props to the manufacturer for trying something new

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

What will happen if the pipes broke when you dropped it? Your phone would be probably dead if it leaks so I don't think its a good idea.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It's cool

literally. 

Wonder if they'll make a profit on this..

Tell that to my iPhone 4S this afternoon while I was out painting. I thought the bloody thing was going to burst into flames. lol

Itd be nice to be ablke to evenly spread the heat instead of having a hotspot where the processor is, then again if they are smart you wont need a heatpipe, just a small sheet of aluminum that touches the Processor on the ohoen that covers the entire back of it.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

This is only new tech for a smartphone. A heat pipe of similar design can be pulled from most laptops, so I wouldn't call it new and it is far from being water cooled.

Other than that its a nice idea.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

Sounds more like a regular heat pipe using water vapour TBH, although phones do tend to get hot when under load, I'd bet the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages (weight, thickness, probably forces a sealed design to aid heat dissipation...)

I honestly don't see the point. Although apple products are stupidly inefficent and  pump out a load of heat this may work on them. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

This is different to say the least :P has anything like this been tried on a laptop?

My phone overheats, because it's screen brightness is one of the highest nits for a mobile phone... 

With phones on better cooling solutions, we can go higher on clock speeds and brighter on displays~

{B t t tk Pf t B t t tk Pf tk B Pf} <--- This is my language. BEATBOXING FOR LIFE!

+1 Though my phone gets as hot as a heater sometimes! :D

What phone do yo have, my Lumia 800 gets pretty darn hot and sometimes overheats... :|

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Battery and energy saving technology needs to advance before we can start worrying about heat and overclocking!

This is different to say the least :P has anything like this been tried on a laptop?

Asetek actually did a watercooled (more proper watercooling, not a water-filled heatpipe) about a year ago, although I can't remember if it ever came to market.

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asetek-cooling-alienware-notebook,15077.html