Need microphone loopback (without latency)

TheDiamondOreo
Go to solution Solved by TheDiamondOreo,

I found my answer. From what I see in this video I can plug in my 3.5mm microphone and my 3.5mm headset into the desired inputs on this mixer and I will hear microphone loopback through my headset.

but how will you get audio to the program you're using to chat? Because the way I see it that mic input can be either a passthrough or it's a channel in for the mixer but you need both. The passthrough so your friends can hear what you're saying and an input channel so you can hear it through your headphones. As for will it improve your sound quality? That would be a no if you're talking about the actual sound. As for delay times I am not sure. 

Since I have those two inputs into the mixer it would go to my computer through a USB, hence I would hear sounds from my computer and my own mic loopback.

I purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x's and am expecting the ModMic 4.0 today (as of writing this). I am aware that just plugging in both of those into the desired inputs, won't give me microphone loopback through my headset, just like any other old gaming headset that I was using before I switched to these two items (Turtle Beach PX22's). My question is how can I get microphone loopback through this headset all the time from my ModMic 4.0 when using Teamspeak, Vent, Skype, ooVoo, etc. without latency.

Yes, I know I can go into the Windows audio settings and check the box that says "listen to this device" but it gives a very noticeable latency which I cannot bear with.

Could I pick up a mixer to plug these two things into and would that give me loopback?

Could I also buy a soundcard with loopback?

Please give me your guys' opinions on how I can solve my problem here.

Thanks!

I literally have the same exact problem and many people have told me it's impossible. Maybe purchasing other equipment, but I don't know. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I literally have the same exact problem and many people have told me it's impossible. Maybe purchasing other equipment, but I don't know. 

Say you had an XLR microphone. You had that into a mixer, then a pair of headphones into the mixer. You would have microphone loopback (I guess). Would that work the same way if I had just an ordinary 3.5mm jack microphone plugged into the mixer along with my headset? In theory it all makes sense to me. :)

Say you had an XLR microphone. You had that into a mixer, then a pair of headphones into the mixer. You would have microphone loopback (I guess). Would that work the same way if I had just an ordinary 3.5mm jack microphone plugged into the mixer along with my headset? In theory it all makes sense to me. :)

Not sure. Not very good with audio, but welcome to the forums. (Just noticed.)

There should be others here to help in a minute :P

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

It can be done with some awkward mixing (hardware) however I simply do not understand why you would want to do this.  :blink:

Don't know why on earth you would want this. There are studies that have shown that playing your voice back at you can actually stop you from speaking.

Having to shout all the time into your microphone because you can't hear yourself just really annoys me. All the headsets I owned before had microphone loopback, like the Turtle Beach PX22. I'm just wondering if there is some hardware (like a mixer) that I can plug these two items into where upon I can get loopback without latency.

Syba dac can do it. Probably a free option out there somewhere however

Syba dac can do it. Probably a free option out there somewhere however

I just google searched 'Syba dac'. This what you're talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4

For 50 bucks I can get a Behringer mixer that I have been looking at before: clicky click link was too long

This is the reason I got open headphones instead. I can still hear myself when gaming and don't need any weird hardware. I know the yeti has that feature when you plug the headphones into the monitoring socket so perhaps look into a mic with that feature?

This is the reason I got open headphones instead. I can still hear myself when gaming and don't need any weird hardware. I know the yeti has that feature when you plug the headphones into the monitoring socket so perhaps look into a mic with that feature?

Then it hijacks your onboard audio from your motherboard and what you get out of the Blue Yeti is horrible. Plus, I don't want a desk mic. I guess if the mixer I'm looking at works with my situation it would give me better audio quality? Probably not that noticeable though. 

Then it hijacks your onboard audio from your motherboard and what you get out of the Blue Yeti is horrible. Plus, I don't want a desk mic. I guess if the mixer I'm looking at works with my situation it would give me better audio quality? Probably not that noticeable though. 

Well in order to incorporate a mixer, you would have to split the mic input and have one going to your pc and one going to the mixer and then having the pc output go to the mixer and the mixer going to headphones. The main problem with this would be your mic volume would be decreased by half and it requires a lot of hardware. I guess it would be possible if you buy a 3.5mm spliter and then a 3.5mm to RCA cable but this is just so much money and effort to hear your own voice. Might as well just sell your headphones and get open ones. Or even just use the money you are going to spend on this stuff and spend it on an open headphone. 

Well in order to incorporate a mixer, you would have to split the mic input and have one going to your pc and one going to the mixer and then having the pc output go to the mixer and the mixer going to headphones. The main problem with this would be your mic volume would be decreased by half and it requires a lot of hardware. I guess it would be possible if you buy a 3.5mm spliter and then a 3.5mm to RCA cable but this is just so much money and effort to hear your own voice. Might as well just sell your headphones and get open ones. Or even just use the money you are going to spend on this stuff and spend it on an open headphone. 

Look at this mixer: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402696181&sr=8-4&keywords=audio+mixer

On the top right it has two inputs: one for a headset and one for a microphone. If I do this, would I get loopback and would this improve my sound quality from my on board audio?

Look at this mixer: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402696181&sr=8-4&keywords=audio+mixer

On the top right it has two inputs: one for a headset and one for a microphone. If I do this, would I get loopback and would this improve my sound quality from my on board audio?

but how will you get audio to the program you're using to chat? Because the way I see it that mic input can be either a passthrough or it's a channel in for the mixer but you need both. The passthrough so your friends can hear what you're saying and an input channel so you can hear it through your headphones. As for will it improve your sound quality? That would be a no if you're talking about the actual sound. As for delay times I am not sure. 

I found my answer. From what I see in this video I can plug in my 3.5mm microphone and my 3.5mm headset into the desired inputs on this mixer and I will hear microphone loopback through my headset.

Since I have those two inputs into the mixer it would go to my computer through a USB, hence I would hear sounds from my computer and my own mic loopback.

Ah ok. Well if you really want to spend the money then go ahead. 

Ah ok. Well if you really want to spend the money then go ahead. 

I already spent a buck 70 for my headset, 50 bucks for the ModMic, and I need to be able to hear myself with this closed headset. I really like the ATH-M50x's and it makes more sense to pick up that mixer for 50 bucks then spend another 200 bucks for a really good open headset. Besides, I like closed headsets where sound doesn't leak and I can't hear a thing around me :) Thanks anyways.

• 4 months later...

I realize how old this thread is, but I have an exactly identical scenario to yours (a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones and a ModMic 4.0), and I was wondering how the Behringer mixer worked out for you before I go ahead and purchase one for myself. Did everything work as intended? Is there any noticeable latency whatsoever? Thanks in advance for any reply :)

I realize how old this thread is, but I have an exactly identical scenario to yours (a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones and a ModMic 4.0), and I was wondering how the Behringer mixer worked out for you before I go ahead and purchase one for myself. Did everything work as intended? Is there any noticeable latency whatsoever? Thanks in advance for any reply :)

The Syba DAC has a zero latency mic feedback feature, and wont be as bulky as a mixer.